• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mighty Wings

A trade proposal to Washington

Rate this topic

Mowers/Mid draft pick for Witt and Pettinger. Franzen is just too valuable right now. Both he and Franzen should make Draper and Maltby (Especially) more expendible with their high salaries.

The 1st is way too valuable for landing Witt and I don't think Pettinger will be dramatically better than Franzen anyway, if at all.

I wouldn't do that deal. Though I would like to land Witt somehow.

peace

well said NN

Witt is junk and there's no way I'd give more than a low pick or Mowers/Rivers to acquire him.

Forget him then. He'll cost no less than a player + 2nd/3rd pick. Junk or not. It's a seller's market. Mowers and Rivers are useless to the Caps. They've got a ton of players better than those.

I think a lot of people want to get Witt, but not by giving up such hopefulls as Franzen and Mowers. And I am one of them. Oh wait just kidding on the Mowers part.

Keep Franzen for sure.

The only reason I added mowers and franzen is because if you don't and just try to get witt with draft picks, you can't fit him under the cap. Even Mowers and a draft pick isn't enough. Franzen + mowers provides just enough cap space to fit witt. I know many of you don't wanna see franzen go, but you are getting back pettinger who is a grinder and loves to play a smash mouth style of hockey. Yet, somehow has scored 9 goals by playing on the worst team in the NHL. I'm just being creative to how we can shore up weaknesses without hurting our strengths. If not franzen then who would you dangle from the wings roster? Jason Williams? Someone also made a comment before about how witt will be available cheap and its a sellers market. I totally disagree. There will be like half a dozen teams trying to get him and that will drive up his price. If washington wanted to they could've traded him over a couple of months ago, but they are being wise and trying to get the most value for him which is at the deadline. There aren't too many veteran, stay-at-home, physical defensmen that are reliable and cost only $1.8 mil.

Someone also made a comment before about how witt will be available cheap and its a sellers market. I totally disagree. There will be like half a dozen teams trying to get him and that will drive up his price. If washington wanted to they could've traded him over a couple of months ago, but they are being wise and trying to get the most value for him which is at the deadline. There aren't too many veteran, stay-at-home, physical defensmen that are reliable and cost only $1.8 mil.

That would not be the same person since "cheap" and "seller's market" rules out the other. I made the "seller's maket" comment in response to those who believe Witt will come cheap. He will not. For the very reasons you have stated above. The Caps can shop him around for the best offer and the interest will be great.

Explain why Witt is junk?

He's garbage in his own end. The only thing he has going for him is his ability to hit people which I'm almost sure Detroit fans will complain about as well ("why doesn't he hit more?", etc etc). The guy is about on par with Woolley in his own end, which DOES make him a suitable replacement for 6th defenseman but he's not worth anything we'd give up.

I'd rather go for someone off the radar and not have to give up a roster player not named Mowers/Rivers.

edit:

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that he's only wanted because he's available. I'd compare it to Holik's last two FA stints. What? Holik is available? Well he's a super skilled power forward! Let's give him 7 million a year for 10 years.

Edited by gobias

He's garbage in his own end. The only thing he has going for him is his ability to hit people which I'm almost sure Detroit fans will complain about as well ("why doesn't he hit more?", etc etc). The guy is about on par with Woolley in his own end, which DOES make him a suitable replacement for 6th defenseman but he's not worth anything we'd give up.

I'd rather go for someone off the radar and not have to give up a roster player not named Mowers/Rivers.

edit:

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that he's only wanted because he's available. I'd compare it to Holik's last two FA stints. What? Holik is available? Well he's a super skilled power forward! Let's give him 7 million a year for 10 years.

"Will make his presence felt on every shift. Loves to take the body and isn't afraid of dropping the gloves. Is a strong defender while his team is short-handed and an excellent team leader." -TSN

edit:

I don't believe we're talking about the same Brendan Witt. The guy is a textbook physical, defensive defenceman. At least that's what I've seen out of him. I've always taken a liking to his style of play, and have pushed for the Wing to get him even before Kronwall and Fischer went down.

If you want to pan him for anything, I'd start with his offensive game. He's no more offensively gifted than Lilja, and there's no way he could replace the prospective puck-moving and offensive talent that Fischer had.

And, just so we can set this straight, Mowers and Rivers have absolutely, positively no trade value.

TSN reports suck.

Johan Franzen:

Flaws: Will be a limited offensive producer at the NHL level, since he doesn't have the speed needed to become a major scoring threat.

Mark Mowers:

Flaws: Isn't big or fast enough to play regularly in the big league.

Jason Williams:

Flaws: Lacks size and skating ability.

Mathieu Schneider:

Flaws: Lacks optimal hockey sense and often gets caught out of position looking for the big hit.

No dice.

Edited by gobias

TSN report or not, physical, relatively affordable defensemen like him are a hot commodity right now, Washington will have no problem finding a very good deal for him. If Detroit wants to even have their offer considered, they'd have to offer up someone a lot more substantial than Mowers or Franzen.

Hmm, Witt maybe would be best guy to replace Fisch. Then we would have quite nice D-pairings.

Lidström-Lilja

Witt-Schneider

Kronwall-Chelios

Puckmovin - defensive roling in every pair. It should work.

i have a better idea. AS much as i think Zetterberg is great and going to be for years to come throw this at the caps Zetterberg,hudler, and draft pick or something for Oveckin.( Ppl can dream cant they)

then our 1st line looks like this next year Oveckin-Datsyuk-Grigorenko

plus Dats and oveckin are friends and Dats can actually pass the puc k unline anyone on the caps so Ovechkin could score like 80-90 goals.

This is a Dream but a good one at that.

trade franzen? no thanks

maybe lang for witt straight up

we get a defensemen which we really need , and we get rid of some salary , doubt washington would want him back though

I'd bet they'd really like to have Lang back. They have more than enough cap space to accomodate him, and their most pressing need right now is a decent centerman to feed Ovechkin, and Lang could be that guy for them, at least for a season or two.

I wouldn't mind this in a way, but I wouldn't give up Lang. I don't think he's as bad as most people think. To much negativity on the guy on this cite, when he's a good player. (Bash me all you want for saying that, and I won't give a damn)

The only thing about Witt is, he's getting old as well. I know people like him, because he's a pain in the ass to get around, and he's good, but he might not be here for long.

And the Wings are doing really good too. I don't know why people are getting so uptight about they're play. As long as we stay playing like this, and being first or second in the conference, we're playing damn good.

Nobody should be panicing right now. Until something bad happens, which won't, then you can go spazzo.