• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

Super Bowl XL

Rate this topic

Who will win Super Bowl XL?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, Pittsburgh definately got the calls today. Wasn't a lot of wrong to see on the Jackson TD and the catch at the 1-yard line that got called back.

But it was still nice to see the Detroit boy make his last stop a memorable one. Congratulations to Bettis and the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers on their world championship!

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

is it just me or are the refs in the nfl corrupt.

it seemed as if whenever the seahawks would get a good play there would be a penalty to send them right back where the begun.... and what was with that roethlisberger touchdown, he definatly didnt make it into the endzone.

it guess its not only the nhl that makes ghost penaltys

my team is denver so i really didnt care who won the superbowl, so my opinion cant really be a biased one

Edited by spr2272

I must say, overall that was an entertaining game, despite the questionable calls for Pittsburgh, but I think the key to that game was defense. It wasn't really high-scoring, but the game seemed to open up in the 2nd half. The call I really didn't like was the Rothlisberger TD...

Like I said though - props to both team's D. Pittsburgh just wanted it more, obviously. Seattle was a bit confused before the first half was over when they had Hasselbeck call an aduible and whatnot. They didn't know what they were doing then, then costing them like what, 10 seconds off the clock? What a waste! I wasn't too impressed with Stevens -- I thought he was going to have a better game than that. It seemed like Hasselbeck would throw him the ball and he would mis-read it. He made what, like 1 solid reception?

Oh well. Nice game. Very entertaining and congrats to Pittsburgh and Bettis on winning the Super Bowl!

The Steelers are a great team and I was rooting for them to win, but the calls against the Seahawks were garbage for the most part, the offensive pass interference wasn't blatant, it didn't stop the DB from covering him. A few of those holdings were very, very borderline.

The refs didn't win the game for the Steelers but they didn't exactly call it fair both ways.

is it just me or are the refs in the nfl corrupt.

it seemed as if whenever the seahawks would get a good play there would be a penalty to send them right back where the begun.... and what was with that roethlisberger touchdown, he definatly didnt make it into the endzone.

it guess its not only the nhl that makes ghost penaltys

my team is denver so i really didnt care who won the superbowl, so my opinion cant really be a biased one

How can you say he definitely didn't make it into the endzone? You had a better angle than the ref standing 10 feet away on the goal line?

All the ball has to do is break the plane of the goal line, which means the front portion of the white line, even if it's just the tip of the ball.

It was close for sure, but there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the call on the field. It was the right call.

The push-off in the endzone was a little weak, in my opinion. Later in the game, I wonder if that would've been flagged.

But overall the questionable penalties did not decide this game.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I was watching some post-game stuff after the game and it was great to see Bettis soo happy. I'm not very surprised, but he really made it sound like he will be done playing football now. Jarome said something like - "The Bus made it's stop in Detroit...and it will be his last", along with a few other comments. They also interviewed his mom and the reporter asked if she was disappointed in him not scoring a TD. He played a great game and they ended up winning, although that would've been nice for him to do, and his family to see, I really doubt it's that sad that he didn't.

Oh well...great game, yet again. Best of luck to Bettis and whatever he chooses to do now since he's done with football.... thumbup.gif

Penalties are part of the game. Our defense created those penalties by playing Pittsburgh football. There were some questionable calls, no doubt. The pass interference on Jackson would not have been called had it not been RIGHT in front of the ref. The ref got to see the push off, end of story.

Our defense won this game. It was obvious that Big Ben struggled with the new footballs used throughout the game. He had some balls float on him and the 2nd INT just slipped right out of his hand. Had his hand not had a cracked thumb requiring him to wear a splint and glove, he makes that pass.

Pretty sad for the NFC when our C game on offense beats Seattle. We bent, but didnt break. I think that was Seattle's best shot minus the penalties. Seattle has a penchant for dropping balls. Stevens got what he deserved by dropping 3 balls last night.

Oh yeah

user posted image

One For The Thumb

WHO RIDE?

WE RIDE

It was close for sure, but there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the call on the field. It was the right call.

I agree on that call. It was far too close, either way. IMO, it was one of those plays that you couldn't overrule either way: If called 4th down I don't think you could overturn that ruling to a TD and (obviously) vice-versa.

I'm glad the Steelers won but, man -- did Seattle ever shoot themselves in the foot in this one. They had plenty of opportunities to win this one.

I'm glad the Steelers won but, man -- did Seattle ever shoot themselves in the foot in this one. They had plenty of opportunities to win this one.

As did we have opportunities to blow Seattle out. That weak throw by Big Ben should have gone over our WR's shoulder for 6 and a 21-3 lead. Seattle was LUCKY they even found the end zone last night the way our D played.

Very similar to how the Indy game unfolded for us....minus the horrid overturned INT call.

As did we have opportunities to blow Seattle out. That weak throw by Big Ben should have gone over our WR's shoulder for 6 and a 21-3 lead. Seattle was LUCKY they even found the end zone last night the way our D played.

Very similar to how the Indy game unfolded for us....minus the horrid overturned INT call.

??

Maybe in the second half, the first half was all Seattle. I don't buy into the "Ben wasn't used to the ball" thing. Randel El threw a 50 yard bomb, perfect spiral, perfect placement with no problem. His thumb in a splint? Sure. But new balls? Ehhhhhhh.

That throw Big Ben did was just horrible. I wouldn't call it lucky that he got that. Ben WAY underthrew that ball and was a clear-cut pick-off.

gowingsgo,

I agree with a lot of what you say but this time your out of line. Seattle clearly was controling the game, especially in the first half. The super bowl was Seattle's to win. Ben played like crap for most of the game and I don't buy the "not used to the new ball thing". Come on, they had 2 weeks to get used to the super bowl and effect on the new football...plus, hasselbeck has the same issues to deal with too.

Pittsburgh played their C game on sunday. The strange thing is the C game was good enough to win the game. Seattle and Pittsburgh both made enough mistakes to lose the game. Seattle blew the game more. Refs didn't help either but I challenge some of the penatlies, not the roelisberger touchdown.

Of course, after you get your ring...you don't care if you played the game great or not. To the steelers and to the steeler fans, this game looks like a masterpiece. I just like the fact that the lions can play a game like that either by seattle or pittsburgh. THE LIONS ARE NOT THAT FAR OFF!! SUPER BOWL XLI, HERE WE COME!!!

Lot of analysts and people talking/complaining about the refs. I didn't think it was officiated that bad. Sure there were some bad calls but that's human error...

Edited by dallas27

Shoulda, woulda, coulda... Either team had opportunities but early on Seattle was controlling the game. The Steelers were anything but dominant (1st downs in 1st quarter, anyone?) and the defense, until the Seahawks imploded late, didn't seem all that daunting. Alexander was still going for 4+ YPC and Hasslebeck nearly put up 300 yards passing.

"LUCKY" to find the endzone? LOL. They could've done more than that if it weren't for a PI call and some horrendous pass drops.

Trust me, the Steelers were anything but dominant last night, but congratulations nonetheless.

The Superbowl NEVER lives up to the hype! It's the weakest Championship of the 4 major sports. A Best of 7 is 10X better than a one game winner take all Championship.

the super bowl is much more than just a football game. the events that it brought to detroit this past week is mind boggling. The super bowl is american unofficial holiday. Can't say the same about the other 3 major sports??

gowingsgo,

I agree with a lot of what you say but this time your out of line. Seattle clearly was controling the game, especially in the first half. The super bowl was Seattle's to win. Ben played like crap for most of the game and I don't buy the "not used to the new ball thing". Come on, they had 2 weeks to get used to the super bowl and effect on the new football...plus, hasselbeck has the same issues to deal with too.

Pittsburgh played their C game on sunday. The strange thing is the C game was good enough to win the game. Seattle and Pittsburgh both made enough mistakes to lose the game. Seattle blew the game more. Refs didn't help either but I challenge some of the penatlies, not the roelisberger touchdown.

Of course, after you get your ring...you don't care if you played the game great or not. To the steelers and to the steeler fans, this game looks like a masterpiece. I just like the fact that the lions can play a game like that either by seattle or pittsburgh. THE LIONS ARE NOT THAT FAR OFF!! SUPER BOWL XLI, HERE WE COME!!!

Seattle moved the ball in the first half but they didnt do jack with the field position. Their punter kept kicking the ball into the end zone. Their receiver Jackson broke a Super Bowl record for most reception yards caught OUT OF BOUNDS. The only reason it looks as if Seattle dominated the first half was because our offense was HORRID last night. 0 first downs inthe first quarter, 1 yard passing. We had 3 plays on offense all night that decided the game. Ward's catch on the scramble, Fast Willie on the 75 yard TD run, and Randle El on the reverse TD pass. I guess Holmgren missed that play from the game tape. We ran the exact same play against the Clowns earlier this year in a nationally televised game.

As far as the new balls go, the NFL brings a brand new out of the box football in for every play for the Super Bowl. The balls are not wiped down with a towel as are regular season or playoff footballs. If you know the story, you know Ben is playing with a broken thumb that is going to require surgery and has been wearing a splint in his glove since the Indy loss.

Wearing a glove hurt him in trying to grip the ball. He was off all night. The last time he played this poorly was against NE in the AFCCG a year ago. This was not the same QB who clipped the top 3 seeds in the AFC 3 weeks in a row with a 68% completion rate. Randle El doesn't have a broken thumb. That pass he threw was perfect.

Doesn't matter, the only thing that matters now is that scoreboard. Its etched in stone.

personally i just didnt like the way this super bowl went... the refs have to much of an impact on the game if you ask me, call the calls when they are needed but this is the biggest game of the year in all of football and bad calls can not afford to be made when players on each team have spent most of there life training to get to that point. The steelers played an allright game but could have performed better... im just trying to see this game from the seahawks point of view, its not that often you will get a second chance at winning the super bowl and to lose because of bad calls cant feel good.

perhaps the steelers would have won even if there wasnt bad penaltys made but i know that the game would have been much closer

perhaps the steelers would have won even if there wasnt bad penaltys made but i know that the game would have been much closer

It could have gone the other way too, it could have been worse...Like Stevens fumble that was blown dead.

Just to be on the safe side......This adds #5 to the collection.

user posted image