• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bluedevils_13

1/24 GDT: Nashville Predators at Red Wings

Rate this topic

If you're talking depth as in our 4th line vs your 4th line, there's no way.

And yes, to establish my point I specifically made a completely false statement about Ottawa. No wait, I'm not joking at all! Hilarious! Ottawa's team is fantastic, from 1st line to 4th line, and if you want to include prospects? Go right ahead, they've got a ton of them.

If you're talking 4th line depth, then put Hordichuk - Smithson - Tootoo back on the 4th, and they were producing like one of the best 4th lines in the league

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Shanahan

Samuelsson - Lang - Williams

Maltby - Draper - Franzen

Holmstrom - Yzerman - Cleary

Line for line, Detroit is better on offense. The points speak for themselves. Find yourself a number 1 center and I'll give you Kariya - ??? - Sullivan.

I agree w/ the offense statement and I agree with the fact that we most definitely need a 1st line center, but when Tootoo and Smithson were on the 4th line that was one of the best 4th lines in the league. Don't jump on me, I'm not saying they were THE best, just one of.

And the first line is normally Kariya - Perreault - Erat, but with Erat being out with a hip strain from last night the lines got a bit jumbled tonight

It's all cool. It's not that big of an issue, because while Detroit's 3rd/4th lines get it done a little bit better than the Preds, you've still got a great line-up.

All I'm sayin' is

Offense = Detroit

Defense = Slight edge to Detroit for having 3 HOF'ers

Goaltending = Huge advantage Nashville

Anybody know why Schneider hardly played over 20 minutes? He is usually around 26-27minutes.

He was in the box for 6 minutes.

Lilja also seemed to play a lot on PK instead of Schneider (when he wasn't in the box).

Anybody know why Schneider hardly played over 20 minutes? He is usually around 26-27minutes.

Could be that he took 3 penalties. That in itself will cut into one's icetime. If he got sat down for a while as punishment might as well.

peace

lol... at least I'm not putting words into your mouth. I didn't say I root for the preds I just said I like their team. I'm just saying to me you seem more one sided and closed minded... your telling me that the only team that you like is the Red Wings, and you have no other team that you like? I could care less who ,and if you did like another team that make you unloyal and your not a wings fan because of it.

Are you begining to see how absurd your statement is. I never said you weren't loyal to the wings only that your closed minded and don't look out side your own beloved wings thats all I said.

Well, I try being nice and say thanks for the discussion but of course--always have to have the last word. Of course I like other teams...but I would NEVER defend them while dissing the wings. Absolutely never. I am not unloyal b/c I don't go talking about how the wings are going down to another team when the playoffs are months away.

So far you've called me "closed minded" and "absurd." So no my opinion isn't absurb cuz I do not go to extreme lengths to defend another team. All your posts have been pro-nashville never anything good about the wings. Come on, everyone is heated up after a wings lost, that isn't the smartest thing to do. But hey, like I said thanks for the insults and the heated conversation...much appreciated.

And yes, to establish my point I specifically made a completely false statement about Ottawa. No wait, I'm not joking at all! Hilarious! Ottawa's team is fantastic, from 1st line to 4th line, and if you want to include prospects? Go right ahead, they've got a ton of them.

If you're talking 4th line depth, then put Hordichuk - Smithson - Tootoo back on the 4th, and they were producing like one of the best 4th lines in the league

Line for line, Detroit is better on offense. The points speak for themselves. Find yourself a number 1 center and I'll give you Kariya - ??? - Sullivan.

I agree w/ the offense statement and I agree with the fact that we most definitely need a 1st line center, but when Tootoo and Smithson were on the 4th line that was one of the best 4th lines in the league. Don't jump on me, I'm not saying they were THE best, just one of.

And the first line is normally Kariya - Perreault - Erat, but with Erat being out with a hip strain from last night the lines got a bit jumbled tonight

It's all cool. It's not that big of an issue, because while Detroit's 3rd/4th lines get it done a little bit better than the Preds, you've still got a great line-up.

All I'm sayin' is

Offense = Detroit

Goaltending = Huge advantage Nashville

Agreed. If the Preds would learn to put 35 to 40 shots on net like the Wings each game, they would score more goals, not as much as Detroit because they just don't have that offense. Nashville is a defensive-minded team, that's the way Trotz has always coached. Just look at the BJs game, yes it is Columbus, but still, 45 shots on goal, 7 goals, look where it got them. In a few years I think Nashville's defense will go past Detroits just because of their prospects, mainly in Shea Weber and Kevin Klein

Lidstrom, Lock. Chelios, Lock. No one else gets close unless Lebda wins himself a few Norris trophies down the road (which I don't see happening). Schneider is not a HOFer.

peace

Lidstrom, Lock. Chelios, Lock. No one else gets close unless Lebda wins himself a few Norris trophies down the road (which I don't see happening). Schneider is not a HOFer.

peace

LMAO...how about Kronwall, he could win a few norris trophies down the road if he can please stay healthy. But agreed on Schneids, he is an awesome d-man-- actually quite rare for Americans, but he isn't HOF material. And that is hard for me to say, knowing that he's my favorite player. wink.gif

Guest Yzerman_is_hockeytown

When will babcock start to juggle lines. If things arnt working time to find somehting that does. Why not try Yzerman, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg.

I have no problem with the game starting 1-0 Nashville considering what happened in THAT game. On a clean slate, the boys better come out and jump on the puck and get the lead. We play a hell of a lot better hockey with the lead than without. It also allows teams to play more defensive, to protect the lead and then jump on any turnovers and opportunities they get offensively.

We just are not a great come from behind team. The boys need to come out and show Nashville who owns the Central.

GO WINGS

The Preds are a little new at this owning the Central thing. Do we get a receipt or something? A pinkslip transfer maybe? hehe.gif

Who will be signing that title over to us now? Manny? Babcock? Stevie?

Darn it Artillery,

Why? Tell me why you have to say something stupid like that? Please?

ohmy.gifdry.gif

Well, I guess I'll stoke the fire a little.

I thought that these past two game have given us a glimpse of what this season series is going to be like. Close, all the way to the bitter end. I'm really looking forward to the Feb 8&9 home and home. A.) I can go to one of the games. and B.) I think the Wings are going to come out storming, making these last 5 games EXTREMELY entertaining. Voukoun's saves may not look flashy, but I love watching him. I agree with the positioning comment made on these boards. I'm also going to say, having looked at the highlights again, that Legace wasn't atrocious. He made some awesome saves, and I think that Sully has just been in his head a little bit. I can see why you say breakaways are a weakness for him, but that is an area he can work on. Finally, I wish to apologize for some of my colleagues who come on this board and troll. I know that sometimes, after a Preds loss, the Wings' trolls coming to our boards, there's so much red at the GEC, and all I want to to is join in on a "Red Wings Suck chant". Let it be said however, that I do know that the Red Wings are a spectacular team, the team to beat, and I look forward to us being a new Colorado for the Wings. Have a nice night, see you on the 8th.

cinepuck thumbup.gif

There was a time not long ago when the Wings could count this as a win before the game came up. Last season, the Preds took the regular season series by one point and stretched the playoff series to six games. That new kid in Nashville is growing up fast and turning this into a series worth watching. There was no way I could seriously think that the Preds would win both games in Detroit before it happened. Vokoun is making his case to start for Czech over Hasek. Sullivan has found his scoring touch again and we got lucky that Babcock hasn't picked a clear cut starter in net. Another call down to the AHL for some more depth when we needed it with Erat dinged up. Ten players from Milwaukee have spent time wearing a Preds sweater to help keep this team on course.

The Wings are right where most of the NHL expects them to be this time of the season. Five more to go, none won on home ice yet this year, and the inside track to home ice advantage on the line.

Relax ....... it's only a game that none of us are playing. For the most part it isn't a matter of life or death. It's not like any of us are Blues or Hawks fans. They have a reason to completely lose their sense of humor.

Relax ....... it's only a game that none of us are playing.  For the most part it isn't a matter of life or death.  It's not like any of us are Blues or Hawks fans.  They have a reason to completely lose their sense of humor.

Here, here!! biggrin.gif

PS. It's still to early to be saying sign over the division yet, though.

Edited by 1st~LINE~C

Here, here!! biggrin.gif

PS. It's still to early to be saying sign over the division yet, though.

There were requests to trade Vokoun to Detroit in this thread this morning. To put Mase in goal. You have to look way back to get the full context. I guess this is our "test drive" that was mentioned 18 hours ago. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts because it has been a long time coming. smile.gif

Every team is made up differently with different strengths and weaknesses. The successful teams in the NHL figure out how to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

This is where the coach comes in so give Trotz his props for getting his guys to play to their strengths:

Speed (witness breakaways and back-checking) and a team commitment to D looking to counter-attack with speed. They block a ton of shots and play a strong North, South game.

Though they don't play the trap, I lump these guys on the "dark side" with the Minnesota's, New Jerseys and Calgary's of the NHL.

Basically the approach to "dark side" hockey is: "goalie safe our ass" plus we will trap (or use whatever defensive system in vogue) until we get the counterattack opportunity and capatilize.

This strategy has worked well in recent years against the wings.

Why is that?

We all know the wings are a puck posession "skill" team that relies on a mobile D and a bit of a lateral East-West game. They generally are loathe to dump and chase. In years past, this strategy has worked well because the Wings could literally out-skill everyone and make it work - despite never having a primo goalie. (We can argue about Hasek later).

Now the skill level is more even across the NHL board... Plus some of our skilled guys are getting old.

Babcock's challenge is to get the team to play like he did with Anaheim without giving up our advantage in puck posession.

Tough Challenge - especially without a top notch goaltender.

I think that the overall sum of the wings’ lines are better than the preds overall when you take into account power play, intangibles, experience, and line chemistry (especially considering all of the Preds' injuries and lack of number one center). But, since you said the points speak for themselves, let's look at pure points.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk – Shanahan: 153 pts

Kariya - Legwand/Fiddler - Erat: 96 pts

Samuelsson - Lang – Williams: 105 pts

Perreault – Sullivan – Walker/Upshall: 105 pts

Holmstrom - Yzerman – Cleary: 57 Pts

Johnson/Beech – Hall – Hartnell: 62 Pts

Maltby - Draper – Franzen: 30 Pts

Nichol/Smithson – Hordichuk – Tootoo/Stevenson: 35 Pts

So, no, sadly the points don’t necessarily speak for themselves outside of the wings’ first line.

Would I take Nichol, Hordichuk, and Tootoo/Stevenson over Maltby and Draper? Of course not. But, in terms of scoring, 2 of the Preds 4 lines outscore the wings’ equivalent lines (in terms of role) and a third is tied.

The Predators lack the Wings’ dominant first line and their dominant Norris-level defenseman, but outside of that the teams aren’t really all that different stylistically in terms of their role players in their current career level.

Edited by wingslovah

Guest Tunbo Batman
Finally, I wish to apologize for some of my colleagues who come on this board and troll. I know that sometimes, after a Preds loss, the Wings' trolls coming to our boards, there's so much red at the GEC, and all I want to to is join in on a "Red Wings Suck chant". Let it be said however, that I do know that the Red Wings are a spectacular team, the team to beat, and I look forward to us being a new Colorado for the Wings. Have a nice night, see you on the 8th.

cinepuck thumbup.gif

heh, we understand. nashville isnt used to winning yet, made the playoffs once in seven tries, never cleared a playoff round. they are just STARTING to be worth watching, so its only natural that some fans will react immaturely and act cocky, especially if a win comes against the oft-hated red wings. if nashville stays good for 6-8 years, their fanbase will evolve to a much more bearable state.

I refuse at this time to come on here and have incredible hubris like some of my fellow Preds fans have about how this game changes everything.

It doesn't until we do something like this in April (or May).

For one, I hope we get that chance. For two, I hope we do exactly that.

THEN I'll come on here and babble on like a kid on Christmas morning.

No, I'm a 1 handicap golfer who plans on going pro within the next few years.

Need to be about 8 shots better PER ROUND to even think about "going pro"

laugh.gif

Had us going touting your own goaltending prowess, until you f*cked up and said this dumb ass thing. Get a life. Quit flaming this thread with how "great" you are.

My two cents. Wow, this is a lively forum topic.

I really like Nashville as a Wings fan.. you can't help but admire

their forechecking/work ethic. That being said.. kind of sad to see

this turn into a pissing match about who is better. I say let the next

5 games of the series decide.

So far, neither team has defended their home ice well. I think the Preds

played one of their better games last night, and they squeaked out a win

with Vokoun playing out of his mind. (GO Czechs in Turin!)

The teams are quite comparable obviously with both having 68 points.. but the

question remains if Nashville can sustain this incredible pace. The Wings we all

know will be at or near the top of the West when the playoffs roll around..

As far as goaltending though, I agree to win in the playoffs it's really tough to

have a "tandem" system, but it's what we've got. Re: the breakaways that Legace

never seems to stop.. it really probably is Sullivan in his head a bit. . and Kariya!?

Let's not forget, he is still one of THE ELITE forwards in the game, although his point

production certainly isn't where it used to be... he's going to finish that opportunity - just like

either Pavel or Henrik would have at the other end had it gone the other way.. no big

deal.

Everyone is hailing the return of Kronwall as being our saviour, and I don't recall

seeing hardly any games (at all?) with him on the ice. So I truly hope he will

help our VERY average defence corps. That is where we need the most help.

The goals will come.. bit of a funk lately.. but it's a streaky thing.

Good news is this: VERY tough to meet Nashville in round one at least! smile.gif

...bottom line is, the Wings are a bunch of SLOW, OLD, SOFT, EUROPEAN *******...

...say what you guys want about Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but I would take any member of the Preds young North American offense over either of them. Why you ask? HEART!

...is was so evident over the last two games that not only does Nashville seem to be better than us now, but in three years they are going to be tearing us up. Especially when our old fart North American players retire, and all we have left is the soft, ***** Europeans with no HEART. Oh well, that is why we love Kenny Holland so much, I guess my sig stands true today as it did on draft day. Can't wait until we are 90% European, then we'll really kick some a$$...

...oh, by the way, I guess Hasek wasn't washed up, I am sure glad we hold grudges and opted for CuJo over him last NHL season. Even though Hasek is a European, he is still the best goaltender in the World, and to give that up for free, wow, that's just another great move by Holland...

...well maybe Ilitch will wake up one day and realize that his team is not in a downward spiral, they are going straight down, FAST!

RED WINGS = PATHETIC!!!

...bottom line is, the Wings are a bunch of SLOW, OLD, SOFT,  EUROPEAN *******...

...say what you guys want about Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but I would take any member of the Preds young North American offense over either of them.  Why you ask?  HEART!

...is was so evident over the last two games that not only does Nashville seem to be better than us now, but in three years they are going to be tearing us up.  Especially when our old fart North American players retire, and all we have left is the soft, ***** Europeans with no HEART.  Oh well, that is why we love Kenny Holland so much, I guess my sig stands true today as it did on draft day.  Can't wait until we are 90% European, then we'll really kick some a$$...

...oh, by the way, I guess Hasek wasn't washed up, I am sure glad we hold grudges and opted for CuJo over him last NHL season.  Even though Hasek is a European, he is still the best goaltender in the World, and to give that up for free, wow, that's just another great move by Holland...

...well maybe Ilitch will wake up one day and realize that his team is not in a downward spiral, they are going straight down, FAST!

RED WINGS = PATHETIC!!!

Didn't have any clean underwear to put on today?

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

...bottom line is, the Wings are a bunch of SLOW, OLD, SOFT, EUROPEAN *******...

...say what you guys want about Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but I would take any member of the Preds young North American offense over either of them. Why you ask? HEART!

...is was so evident over the last two games that not only does Nashville seem to be better than us now, but in three years they are going to be tearing us up. Especially when our old fart North American players retire, and all we have left is the soft, ***** Europeans with no HEART. Oh well, that is why we love Kenny Holland so much, I guess my sig stands true today as it did on draft day. Can't wait until we are 90% European, then we'll really kick some a$$...

...oh, by the way, I guess Hasek wasn't washed up, I am sure glad we hold grudges and opted for CuJo over him last NHL season. Even though Hasek is a European, he is still the best goaltender in the World, and to give that up for free, wow, that's just another great move by Holland...

RED WINGS = PATHETIC!!!

The Detroit Red Wings are pathetic? Are you trying to be funny?

I can't believe that you people call yourselves FANS. You've got to be kidding me. They lose two games in a row and they are pathetic? Do you not know that in an 82 game season EVERY single team will go through losses? You're complaining because they've lost two in a row..if they were to win the last two then I bet your post would of never been made.

Love the way you hate on Euro's and saying they have no heart. Especially since THEY are the ones who play out of their minds, and never take a shift off game in and game out. What the heck are you watching?

I understand that people get upset with their team after losses, but you went overboard. Calling yourself a Wings fan is laughable after that type of post. Wings are looked upon as the best in the league, no one has puck possesion, and the chemistry that the Wings do. Sure, we are soft. How do you know that won't be addressed around the trade deadline? And how do you know that they won't step up their game come playoff time and play a more physical role? They are capable of doing that.

And to think us Wings fans were the best... rolleyes.gif