• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
vladdy16

Revenue Sharing

Rate this topic

Do you think revenue sharing is a good idea?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hot button issue here for me. If you vote in the poll, please take a minute to explain why you think the way you do and let us know what team you're a fan of if it's not apparent.

I obviously started out with no - I think it's welfare and teams need to support themselves. When management consciously decides to spend under the cap and actively goes after revenue sharing, that really censored.gif my censored.gifcensored.gif .

Vote away!

I voted no for the same reasons as you. Gotta pay to play I always thought. Pay your own way that is. Expanding a game to new markets before you get your "real" markets healthy was a bad desicion on Bettmans part, but all you can do is add it to the list. Wings fan btw. thumbup.gif

Definite nay on this one. I agree, it is like welfare. Isn't efficient in a business like the NHL. If teams can't make enough money to support themselves, then they shouldn't have an NHL franchise. Period. Kinda sucks but hey, that's business.

I voted no. Teams Like Det shouldn't have to shell out millions just because they have made there teams successful. Teams that cannot support them selves without aid from other teams should be gone. Dismantle the team or move it to a better market.

I took the unpopular road and picked yes.

I think it's necessary because most teams around the league have attendance that fluctuates wildly depending on their success. Look at places like Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver. These teams have had solid attendance the past couple years, but through the 90s all three had major attendance and revenue problems.

Only the rare teams (Montreal, Detroit, Toronto, NYR to name a couple) get strong attendance even when the team is not doing well. Most teams get mediocre attendance when not doing well, and sometimes even when they are doing well.

There are teams like the Devils that don't get attendance because there are two more established, longstanding teams in their market. Or teams like Nashville, Tampa Bay, Florida, etc. that are fairly recent expansions into previously untapped markets, and are only just now after several years building rivalries and getting consistent attendance.

I think Wings fans in general are spoiled by the view of the team having sold out every game for a decade, having been among the top two in attendance every year but once in the past 20 years, and having had a team that has been highly successful for 15 years. Most teams have not enjoyed that kind of success nor that kind of consistent attendance.

Just cutting a team out if it can't afford to play is not realistic. If you were to take all the markets that didn't profit, in that case we'd only have ten teams in the NHL right now.

I said no, look at the Kansas City Royals....they apparantly put forth a losing team every year and their owner simply pockets the money from revenue sharing, not reinvesting in the team.... thumbdown.gif

I said no, look at the Kansas City Royals....they apparantly put forth a losing team every year and their owner simply pockets the money from revenue sharing, not reinvesting in the team.... thumbdown.gif

Baseball's system is a joke.

When certain teams can spend more than DOUBLE the cap and not feel it while others struggled to spend barely HALF the cap, there is a serious problem with how the cost control is implemented.

The NHL's system is far more sound. Having a salary minimum at a reasonable level will prevent teams from dumping the season for revenue sharing because if they have to spend anyway, why not at least try to win?

Also, under the NHL's system, only a few teams are even eligible for revenue sharing; the ten largest markets are not, nor is anyone who spends over a certain amount. There are maybe three or four teams that actually qualify for revenue sharing.