• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 olebdub

olebdub

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

I have noticed that there is a slight accent in those that live in the northern pennisula. Of course everyone knows about the yopper accent, but if you go around Traverse City, Petsokey, Cadillac, Gaylord, etc. you might notice the way we enunciate our R's. I moved up here about 7 years ago and I didn't really notice it until my brother from Mt. Clemens mentioned it.

Edited by olebdub, 31 January 2006 - 06:37 PM.

#22 ontariowingsfan

ontariowingsfan

season tickets!!!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (J-Swift @ January 31, 2006 - 07:20PM)
Canadians living in Southern Ontario get so much American television that they barely have the stereo-typical Canadian "hoser accent". Or at least I don't notice it, anyway.

LMAO

All of Canada primarily watches American television. Ontario is just very neutral when it comes to the Canadian accent. You'll notice an accent from people out West (BC, AB) or out east in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick..etc etc

I'm sooo gaga for Lidstrom Rules!
I love the shape you take when crawling towards the pillowcase

Red Wing season tickets AND the new Justin CD in the same day??!!???
Yes Brianne, there IS a Santa Claus!

#23 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (ontariowingsfan @ January 31, 2006 - 06:35PM)
DOL AAAIR  instead of dollar

You mean instead of dawllar?

laugh.gif

Edited by ARice89, 31 January 2006 - 06:43 PM.

In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#24 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:51 PM

Hahaha, yep they always say us Michiganders have an accent, and like Amanda I thought it was everyone else, not us.
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#25 MSUDoubleJ19

MSUDoubleJ19

Mmm, pancakes.

• HoF Booster
  • 669 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:51 PM

Number one, anyone who speaks has an accent. Areas of people will have their own kind of speech, and when you compare it to another area it's an accent.

Michigan basically has a "midwest" way of speech, which is the speech you hear most newscasters, etc. aspire to. Of course there are variations in Michigan and within different parts of Michigan from the rest of the midwest.

I get mocked over how I pronounce "-eg" and "-ag" endings all the time. The other week I gave a spelling test and I confused the kids because I said "ay-gg" for the word "egg". Apparently I'm supposed to say "eh-gg". And they let me know it too. smile.gif

And I wonder
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again

#26 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:52 PM

I don't notice anything when I hear myself talk, or my family or any others I've known my whole life. but I believe we have an accent. Its really funny when you hear natives from the UP talk though. They have a distinct accent.

"Its really cold oot der today, eh?" Its great.

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#27 Guest_Swimming with the Sharks (Guest)

Guest_Swimming with the Sharks (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

And I thought everybody said "you guys"? Guess I still have some Michigan in me. laugh.gif

I stopped saying "pop" and "tempachur" a long time ago. That 's thing is long gone, too, except for this one place up here I sometimes call "Allegro's." I don't know why - it seems the only place I say that.

This one isn't listed, so I wonder if it's a Michigan thing: Anybody else say "mahlth" (mouth) and "sahlth" (south)? It took me a long time to get rid of that "L" and I still say it ever-so-slightly sometimes. I just wrote to him about it. cool.gif

#28 Guest_Swimming with the Sharks (Guest)

Guest_Swimming with the Sharks (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

On another note, when my family first moved to California, my mom asked someone where she could find the nearest Secretary of State. Needless to say, the first reaction she got was huh.gif

laugh.gif

#29 wings1936

wings1936

Starting D

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

Yes michiganders have an accent. Infact thats what pisses me off so much when you guys call a soda a pop. Its not the word pop as much as the way you say it.

#30 shanny14

shanny14

Diehard shanahan fan!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (J-Swift @ January 31, 2006 - 06:20PM)
Canadians living in Southern Ontario get so much American television that they barely have the stereo-typical Canadian "hoser accent". Or at least I don't notice it, anyway.

In addition to the ones in Michigan, I also have cousins down south. Man I wish I had a Southern accent. biggrin.gif

i can get one just give me two weeks in georgia or tennesee where my moms family is from.. im so glad i was born here... lol i sound funny with one.

#31 shanny14

shanny14

Diehard shanahan fan!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (hockeycrazy3033 @ January 31, 2006 - 07:51PM)
Hahaha, yep they always say us Michiganders have an accent, and like Amanda I thought it was everyone else, not us.

LOL reem, im glad someone thought the same thing laugh.gif glad im not all alone on this one. it takes a whole thread of LGW people to tell me that i have an accent when i thought i sounded perfectly normal.

#32 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (Swimming with the Sharks @ January 31, 2006 - 07:59PM)
On another note, when my family first moved to California, my mom asked someone where she could find the nearest Secretary of State. Needless to say, the first reaction she got was huh.gif

laugh.gif

I asked for a coney island - blankest stare I've ever seen in my life! I forget what they call them out there. I don't think I ever ordered another one.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#33 shanny14

shanny14

Diehard shanahan fan!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (wings1936 @ January 31, 2006 - 08:11PM)
Yes michiganders have an accent. Infact thats what pisses me off so much when you guys call a soda a pop. Its not the word pop as much as the way you say it.

HATE TO BREAK IT TO YOU BUT IT IS POP , wings1936, thats just the way that it is.

#34 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (MSUDoubleJ19 @ January 31, 2006 - 07:51PM)
I get mocked over how I pronounce "-eg" and "-ag" endings all the time. The other week I gave a spelling test and I confused the kids because I said "ay-gg" for the word "egg". Apparently I'm supposed to say "eh-gg". And they let me know it too. smile.gif

Aaaaah the famous eh-gg vs ay-gg debate! Im on the "eh-gg" side myself. I always get on my dad for that one. Its like ill catch him saying "ay-gg" and pronouncing leg "lay-g" but then 10 seconds later pronouncing peg "peh-g"! Like whats the friggin difference there?!! Im always waiting for a moment like that to jump on his ass.

Then we have my mom who also grew up in the same area as us (Detroit) but has an accent of her own. She says "ottomobile" for automobile..another one that pisses me off. Or "ColorAdo"..pronouncing the a in the "rado" part like it is in the word "rad" or "rat". Its "RAH-do" damnit! All from the D
but each taught differently i guess...
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#35 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (shanny14 @ January 31, 2006 - 08:21PM)
HATE TO BREAK IT TO YOU BUT IT IS POP , wings1936, thats just the way that it is.

Preach on!!

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#36 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:57 PM

I've been living in Virginia for five and a half years now. Mixture of South and East Coast. Used to always say "you guys" and "pop" but now I'm about half and half....I keep catching myself saying "soda" and my dad really gave me a hard time for it last time I visited. really gotta work myself back into my native speech.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#37 DRAPES RULES

DRAPES RULES

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

It's POP ! Soda is something you mix with Scotch.

This is "Katie Bar The Door Type of Hockey" -Mickey Redman

"It's only Rock and Roll, But I like it "- Mick Jagger

"DAVE IS A KILLER! "- The Hanson Brotherswinggirl.jpg

#38 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:26 PM

Lol, I've always called it pop too. My ex called it soda though so once in a while I'll say soda since he said it all the time. I pick up accents really easy though. If I lived in Tennesee or something I'd start talking like them in about a week. laugh.gif

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#39 shanny14

shanny14

Diehard shanahan fan!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (dallas27 @ January 31, 2006 - 08:47PM)
Preach on!!

do you really want me to laugh.gif

#40 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:14 PM

Its pop. I was out east one time and asked for a pop. My friend I was with gave me a weird look. After I clarified I just wanted a Coke, he said he thought I wanted some pot.

And last week I had to explain to a group of southerners (two from TX, one from TN) how its not "y'all" its "you guys."

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users