• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 zettermaberg

zettermaberg

Come on Fhqwgads!

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:37 PM

ever gone anywhere outside of michigan and asked for the nearest party store? the reactions i've gotten have been priceless, most people think i'm looking for a place to buy balloons and confetti laugh.gif nono, i tell them. i just need a place to get some beer...

i learned in a linguistics class, that what's interesting is that the michigan "accent" is the one most emulated by journalists/newscasters, etc. it's the one most free of any particular dialect... closest to how the language is supposed to be pronounced.
“When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to drink a lot on Christmas and be drunk." - Pavel Datsyuk

Whatever keeps you skating like that, Pavel...

#42 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:40 PM

Speaking of Michigan...

You know your from Michigan if.....

These are so true!
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#43 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ January 31, 2006 - 10:14PM)
And last week I had to explain to a group of southerners (two from TX, one from TN) how its not "y'all" its "you guys."

After I lived in Texas for a few years, I completely adopted the "y'all."

It's so much more functional, gender neutral, and fun to say.

Just remember that when referring to a few people, it's "y'all." Such as:

"I'm fixin' to go to Rudy's for some brisket. Y'all wanna come?"

But if it's more people than you could fit in your truck, then it's "All y'all." Such as:

"Hey USC fans! All y'all better shut up, because our boy Vince gave you a whoopin. Looks like your Heisman winner was all hat and no cattle."

#44 kirby23

kirby23

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:55 PM

I don't think Michigan is that bad, go into Ohio. Northern Ohio everyone has a normal accent. Go into southern Ohio and the people sound like they worked on the movie Deliverance.

#45 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:58 PM

Hell yeah it is POP! We have Vernors and Dr. Pepper... Although I always enjoy my Mr. Pibb when out of state wink.gif

saying Y'all reminds me of charlie on LOST... "You All Everybody... You All Everybody!" biggrin.gif

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#46 I Thought I Saw a Datsyuk 13

I Thought I Saw a Datsyuk 13

i walk like a man

• HoF Booster
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:04 AM

i lost my michigan accent sad.gif

#47 Guest_Swimming with the Sharks (Guest)

Guest_Swimming with the Sharks (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (vladdy16 @ January 31, 2006 - 05:17PM)
I asked for a coney island - blankest stare I've ever seen in my life!  I forget what they call them out there.  I don't think I ever ordered another one.

Yeah, here it's just called a chili dog.

#48 Guest_Swimming with the Sharks (Guest)

Guest_Swimming with the Sharks (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE (OsGOD @ January 31, 2006 - 09:58PM)
Hell yeah it is POP!  We have Vernors and Dr. Pepper... Although I always enjoy my Mr. Pibb when out of state wink.gif

Although I've taken to calling most carbonated beverages "soda," I'll agree that Vernors and Faygo must always be called "pop"! tongue.gif

#49 hawkupaloogie

hawkupaloogie

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:50 AM

after going to college in "da u.p. (eh)" for three years, i've adopted the accent...and get bugged about it nonstop when i go home for the summer. everyonce in a while, i'll even be asked if i'm from canada. that being said, it used to be me getting teased by wisconsinites, wisconsinites?!?! scared.gif for having a michigan accent.

about the "pop"/"soda" debate...it's pop. in fact, if you look in the dictionary, "pop" is slang for "any carbonated beverage." "soda," on the other hand, is a beverage, much like a malt, or float, in that ice cream must be present....unless you mean "soda pop" sly.gif i've had this debate waaaaay too many times...on a side note, has anyone ever heard of a drinking fountain being called a bubbler? blink.gif ....crazy wisconsinites
IPB Image

#50 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:38 AM

It's pop indeed!

Wisconsinities? That's what they call them? Haha, that makes me laugh. I didn't even know that and my aunt and uncle live there...hmmmm...
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#51 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE (hawkupaloogie @ February 1, 2006 - 03:50AM)
after going to college in "da u.p. (eh)" for three years, i've adopted the accent...and get bugged about it nonstop when i go home for the summer. everyonce in a while, i'll even be asked if i'm from canada. that being said, it used to be me getting teased by wisconsinites, wisconsinites?!?! scared.gif for having a michigan accent.

about the "pop"/"soda" debate...it's pop. in fact, if you look in the dictionary, "pop" is slang for "any carbonated beverage." "soda," on the other hand, is a beverage, much like a malt, or float, in that ice cream must be present....unless you mean "soda pop" sly.gif i've had this debate waaaaay too many times...on a side note, has anyone ever heard of a drinking fountain being called a bubbler? blink.gif ....crazy wisconsinites

Thats because up there there is not water coming out of this drinking fountains, it is alcohol... So after they are taking a few sips from the foutain, they start to bubbler (slurred speach) and no one can understand them....

Crazy Bastards....
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#52 shanny14

shanny14

Diehard shanahan fan!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:30 AM

I like my accent if thats what its considered laugh.gif i always thought it was normal.. oh well... biggrin.gif

#53 hockeyh

hockeyh

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:02 AM

I'm from the Thumb area now living in the Detroit suburbs. For the first few months of working here, I was thoroughly confused when my coworker kept saying "Fords" as in "My husband works at Fords". I finally asked my boss and he said people in the Detroit area tend to add "s" to the end of things. Example: Meijers, Krogers, Targets, Walmarts, etc...

#54 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (hockeyh @ February 1, 2006 - 10:02AM)
I'm from the Thumb area now living in the Detroit suburbs.  For the first few months of working here, I was thoroughly confused when my coworker kept saying "Fords" as in "My husband works at Fords".  I finally asked my boss and he said people in the Detroit area tend to add "s" to the end of things.  Example:  Meijers, Krogers, Targets, Walmarts, etc...

I know a lot of people still refer to it as Fords.

Though the theory I heard was that it was leftover from the days when people said they worked at "Ford's" as in Henry Ford's factory (versus Ford Motor Company).

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 01 February 2006 - 10:08 AM.

#55 ontariowingsfan

ontariowingsfan

season tickets!!!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:43 AM

I always hear people say "JC Pennys" WTF unsure.gif
I'm sooo gaga for Lidstrom Rules!
I love the shape you take when crawling towards the pillowcase

Red Wing season tickets AND the new Justin CD in the same day??!!???
Yes Brianne, there IS a Santa Claus!

#56 shanny14

shanny14

Diehard shanahan fan!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:24 AM

Sorry thats how it is laugh.gif

#57 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (hockeyh @ February 1, 2006 - 11:02AM)
I'm from the Thumb area now living in the Detroit suburbs. For the first few months of working here, I was thoroughly confused when my coworker kept saying "Fords" as in "My husband works at Fords". I finally asked my boss and he said people in the Detroit area tend to add "s" to the end of things. Example: Meijers, Krogers, Targets, Walmarts, etc...

I've realized I add the 's' on some places of business, Meijers, Krogers, JC Pennys; but I don't on others, Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Ford. Strange. I never even knew I did that.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#58 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (ontariowingsfan @ February 1, 2006 - 11:43AM)
I always hear people say "JC Pennys" WTF unsure.gif

I never even realized i say that all the time...I usually take out the JC and just call it Penny's. I also say Meijers, Krogers, Farmer Jacks, KMarts etc. I dont do it on Target and Walmart though.
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#59 ontariowingsfan

ontariowingsfan

season tickets!!!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (Lou_Siffer @ February 1, 2006 - 01:43PM)
I never even realized i say that all the time...I usually take out the JC and just call it Penny's. I also say Meijers, Krogers, Farmer Jacks, KMarts etc. I dont do it on Target and Walmart though.

that's CRAZY !!

No S !!!!
I'm sooo gaga for Lidstrom Rules!
I love the shape you take when crawling towards the pillowcase

Red Wing season tickets AND the new Justin CD in the same day??!!???
Yes Brianne, there IS a Santa Claus!

#60 Lidstrom Rules

Lidstrom Rules

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (ontariowingsfan @ February 1, 2006 - 01:17PM)
that's CRAZY !!

No S !!!!

In Chicago some people say "Jewels" for the food store Jewel. But then these same people usually say mens instead of men.

ontariowingsfan is soooooooo my girl
I said, "Even though you know what you know, I know that I'm ready to leave 'cus you're making feel like I've never been born." ~John Lennon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users