87 replies to this topic

#81 shanny14

shanny14

Diehard shanahan fan!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (WestCoastWingsFan @ February 2, 2006 - 06:42PM)
WRONG!!!!!!  IIT'S TONIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET IT STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

no your messed up.. POP end of story. :rotfl: laugh.gif two different worlds collide. laugh.gif

Edited by shanny14, 06 February 2006 - 12:18 PM.

#82 shanny14

shanny14

Diehard shanahan fan!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (WestCoastWingsFan @ February 2, 2006 - 06:31PM)
QUOTE (shanny14 @ January 31, 2006 - 10:41PM)
ya alot of people say that especially people from the west coast. trust me i have had westcoastwingsfan say on several occasions that I had a funny/ cute accent.

Its just all in where you are from! laugh.gif

Heh. Yea, you do. The accent that people recognize in Michiganders in the North Plains accent. It predominates in Minnesota, the Dakotas, and Wisconsin, but is also found in Michigan and Northern Illinois. It is much more common in the UP than it is in Lower Michigan, most likely due to the geographical proximity to Wisconsin, both you do here it further south as well. Right Manda?

Yes, John, Precisely, thanks for rubbing it in as always. tongue.gif My voice is nicer than yours tongue.gif laugh.gif ( my rub in) *laughs*

Just playing, all in good fun biggrin.gif

Edited by shanny14, 06 February 2006 - 12:17 PM.

#83 shanny14

shanny14

Diehard shanahan fan!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:58 AM

http://www.ku.edu/~i...an/michigan.htm More on the Michigan accent.

http://www.pbs.org/s...dice/attitudes/ - this one is a little outta hand. I didnt totally agree with it. cause to me it seems like more of a bash...

#84 shanny14

shanny14

Diehard shanahan fan!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:11 PM

must *Bump* this one cause lets face it.. those links took time for me to read.

#85 Wingsfan25161929

Wingsfan25161929

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:45 PM

yep we definately do have an accent (although alot of people tell me I sound somewhat southern even though I was born and raised and have lived all my life in Detroit)...I get it when I go anywhere in the country and it's funny it always turns into an arguement and I get very angry. It becomes a heated "projectile rant" (to use an Art Regner term). Anyhow, I went over to Ireland a few years back to visit some family and the best thing was making them say things that are slang here with their accents and then my cousins trying to imitate me. It definately was entertainment for several nights. But maybe it was just the alcohol... biggrin.gif
IPB Image

#86 shanny14

shanny14

Diehard shanahan fan!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:54 PM

ya, sorta understand that one.. When i go to Tennessee well - I get that Hick accent. laugh.gif try to get serbians to talk like we do. its funny cause they have that deep euro accent.

Edited by shanny14, 07 February 2006 - 09:00 AM.

#87 amberlynn25

amberlynn25

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:49 PM

im gonna go the more technical way. Michigan's accent is called Inland North. There are different parts of hte Country with differnt dialect areas. Im an english major so i have to know this crap, but yes we do talk differently. My boyfriend is from Cleveland and he says i talk differnely.
here is a map of the dialects in the USA
user posted image

its like how people in New York and Boston drop the "r" in words. so park the car is pak the ca and green monster is green monsta. Its like that in England too. Our dialect is more nasal then other dialects. I have a profesor that is from California and she talkes different. I know that in Oregon that when they say caught its like cot. it suonds like /cכt/ yes it looks strange cuz its the phonetic alhpabet. an easier one would be like. /res/ is race. its easy once you know it.
here is one: /go/ /rEd/ /wIngz/ or go red wings.
ok now you know my dorkiness.

Edited by amberlynn25, 09 February 2006 - 07:03 PM.

I get up every day, and I live. Everybody says you should live to the fullest, but what is it? No one knows until you come so close that you're not worried about anything else but being alive."~ Jiri Fischer
my heart belongs to a canadian!

#88 shanny14

shanny14

Diehard shanahan fan!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:54 PM

Kinda Neato! smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users