• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gobias

Keith Tkachuk

Rate this topic

I've read some conflicting stories about Tkachuk and his salary, but something caught my eye at Spectors. According to the Calgary Sun, Tkachuk is only on the books for 2 million for the rest of the season. Now, I'm not sure whether that's because of his injuries or because it's late in the season and he's already been paid XX amount, but if it's true, would you trade for him?

I believe I read somewhere that he's signed for 1 more year but the value is much more cap friendly next year, around 3m-4m. That's a decent price for what he contributes, imo.

The Cons:

He'll be 34 this year and has had problems with injuries all season long. He also came into the training camp overweight and out of shape, changing his nickname from Walt to Tkachunk. He could go for a lot as many teams could use a guy with his talents. A player from the starting roster would lose his spot, also.

The Pros:

He's been a beast in the Olympics and looks quite good considering how his season has gone thus far (23p in 16gm, as well). He's huge, mobile, and mean - something we've lacked up front for awhile now.

thoughts?

If we can squeeze his fat as... err.. contract on our roster and not mortgage our future in the process Fatty would be the PERFECT acquisition for us. A big, strong, mean goal-scorer. Lang would have to be moved to an eastern team that needs a center for the cap room, unless of course the Blues want him.

Lots of joke opportunities but Tkachunky would put us over the top, IMO.

peace

if we could ship lang somewhere in a 3 way deal (because stlouis wants youth to rebuild imo ) and get tkachuk back then have a first line centered by datsyuk + shannahan on wing , 2nd line centered by zetterberg + tkachuk on wing making top 2 lines both having great passers with great finishers and keep this roster together this and next season i see 2 more cup parades approaching because tkachuk is UNSTOPPABLE , and thats on a weak team . he'd score a goal per game with the great passing team wings are .

huh.gif Anyone see his play of late? You guys think Lang is slow and lazy.. Sheeeeit!! He looks like crap out there. And yes, I watch closely.. due to trade potential as well.

Heck though, maybe he looks so uninterested because he is playing for St. Louis, who knows. But even over in Turin, Torino, whatever.. .just awful.

I believe Tkachuk is only due $3.8M next season but what counts towards the cap is $5m (law of averages).

I noted this before. I know he hasn't scored a goal yet but watching Keith Tkachuk in the Olympics makes me realize how great a player like him would be on the Wings. He's a f**king bulldozer on the ice. People bounce off him if they go to hit him, he can create space for himself around the net and he moves well with and without the puck. He's played with Gio and Gomer for the most part and the tiny tots have worked well with him, setting up and creating numerous chances. I know he's older now (will be 34 in a month) and his contract is too big for us but if the Wings can acquire him by shedding salary (Lang) and not giving up too much (J-Will), then why the heck not.

Our problem is that we lack the whole picks + prospects deal to land someone come trade deadline time. Majority of the teams can outbid us for anyone we might want to land. Tkachuk is going to get a lot of attention around March 9th.

I'm not opposed to dealing our first round pick from 2006. This upcoming draft is very weak, and after the first 8-10 picks, it's not going to be very good.

No thanks!

Sure, he has skill but Tkachuk has had contract disputes while under contract (more than once IIRC), showed up at camp this year seriously overweight and is content cheapshotting players (incidents last season played vs Vancouver) rather than dropping the gloves.

huh.gif Anyone see his play of late?  You guys think Lang is slow and lazy.. Sheeeeit!!  He looks like crap out there.  And yes, I watch closely.. due to trade potential as well. 

Heck though, maybe he looks so uninterested because he is playing for St. Louis, who knows.  But even over in Turin, Torino, whatever.. .just awful.

You must definitely be watching someone else. In 16GP, Tkachuk has 11 goals and 23 total points. He's been in and out of the lineup due to injuries but when he's played he's produced.

Even in Turin you must be watching someone else. Tkachuk has done everything but score. He's rang pucks off posts and had goalies steal sure shot goals but he has looked fantastic.

There is no reason for Detroit to not pursue Tkachuk, none. He came to camp fat and out of shape and on a weak team has been dominate. Imagine him with Zetterberg or Datsyuk, if that means waving goodbye to Williams or Lang, I'll give them a ride to the airport for free.

There is no reason for Detroit to not pursue Tkachuk, none. He came to camp fat and out of shape and on a weak team has been dominate. Imagine him with Zetterberg or Datsyuk, if that means waving goodbye to Williams or Lang, I'll give them a ride to the airport for free.

You know I was thinking this exact idea while watch Esche crap out on the US couple days ago. Tkachuk really would be a great addition to this team. Pending Cap could see Holland moving Lang to an East team then turn around and place a bid on Keith. I would Definetly consider dealing Williams and a 3rd or 2nd.

Shouldn't we try to be trading away only 3rd or 4th round picks as the highest picks to trade away?

I'm only asking, because the Wings are way to well known to trade away there highest picks, especially the 1st round pick from recent years in trading.

Tkachuk has a no trade clause. And from what I have heard, he wants to stay in StLouis.

Also, the only way the Wings CAN make this deal is if Robert Lang goes the other way. Tkachuks cap hit next year is over $5 mill. NO THANKS! And the Blues are looking to dump salary, not swap Tkachuks $ for Langs $.

Its a no-go from all aspects.

Tkachuk's cap hit next year is 5m.

The cap will be going up 3 or 4 million.

The Wings will be making the following "player exchanges" from this season to next;

Yzerman for Grigorenko...500k opened up.

Mowers for Hudler...150k taken away

Forwards: 350k opened up

Chelios for Quincey...400k opened up

Woolley for Meech...even

Rivers out...450k opened up

Fischer out...1.4m opened up

Defense: 2.25m opened up

Total 2.6m opened up, plus say 3.5m increased cap and about 1m in current cap space. 7.1m to spend on giving players raises or signing new guys.

Expected salary changes:

Williams +750k

Samuelsson +750k

Shanahan even

Lilja +100k

Lidstrom -2m

Franzen +150k

Legace +500k

Osgood even

Net increase of 250k

So there's a total of 6.85 open to spend. Consider that Tkachuk would only take away about 4.5 from that because someone else would be removed.

So yeah...the Wings have the cap space to take Tkachuk on next year, the question is could they get it done this year or would it have to wait until the offseason?

Legace +500K???

Not a chance. The goaltender market is terribly small now that Turco and Nabakov have already re-upped with thier teams. Legace, numbers wise, is at the TOP of the NHL right now. If he puts together a decent Cup run there will a few teams that will throw big dollars at him. You can bet on it. Janet Jones would. LOL

Also, if Samuelsson gets 30+ goals, I would expect a bigger raise than 750K. Much bigger.

I think you are underestimating a number of guys on that list, financially speaking.

Edited by Higgy4

Legace +500K???

Not a chance. The goaltender market is terribly small now that Turco and Nabakov have already re-upped with thier teams. Legace, numbers wise, is at the TOP of the NHL right now. If he puts together a decent Cup run there will a few teams that will throw big dollars at him. You can bet on it. Janet Jones would. LOL

Also, if Samuelsson gets 30+ goals, I would expect a bigger raise than 750K. Much bigger.

I think you are underestimating a number of guys on that list, financially speaking.

Samuelsson has never been able to score at the NHL level or hold down an NHL job as anything more than a reserve winger.

Scoring 30 on this Wings team would not be huge bargaining power as he would still be 4th or 5th on the team in goals and has no productive past to call upon.

I think 1.3m sounds like a fair salary for Samuelsson to sign at given those facts.

Legace has good numbers, but he has also been injury prone and has shown a tendency to place his own desires ahead of the good of the team.

Plus, who is going to go out and sign Legace for more than say 1.75 or 2m?

Teams that might be looking for a goalie are Edmonton, Phoenix, St. Louis, Toronto.

Edmonton won't offer more than 2 for Legace.

Phoenix would probably be able to resign Cujo for 2.5 or less.

The Blues have almost 3m tied up in Lalime, they won't put that much down on Legace.

Toronto might put more than 2 on Legace, if Belfour retires and they can't get Fernandez for less.

And Detroit wouldn't match Toronto's 3m for Legace, given the fact that several other solid goalies will be available.

Tkachuk has a no trade clause. And from what I have heard, he wants to stay in StLouis.

Also, the only way the Wings CAN make this deal is if Robert Lang goes the other way. Tkachuks cap hit next year is over $5 mill. NO THANKS! And the Blues are looking to dump salary, not swap Tkachuks $ for Langs $.

Its a no-go from all aspects.

I don't buy that Weight or Tkachuk want to stay in St. Louis, personally.

St. Louis has had extremely bad management and I don't really think anyone wants to play there right now. Plus, they're just now entering the cellar dweller phase. They don't exactly have a lot of prospects and they're not going to fill their roster in one draft.

Furthermore, Tkachuk's salary will be in the 3m-4m range next year - not 5m.

A lot of eastern teams are looking for improvement down the middle, so I don't see how it would be a problem getting rid of Lang. I'll take Tkachuk over Lang anyday.