• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Kenny Jönsson enters the market

Rate this topic

Former NYI captain Kenny Jönsson, 31 y/o 6'3 220 lbs is coming over from Sweden. He just finished up the Olympics and was named the best defensemen in the Tournament. I think he'd be a great fit on the Wings in a top 4 setting!

Edited by Heaton

Former NYI captain Kenny Jönsson, 31 y/o 6'3 220 lbs is coming over from Sweden. He just finished up the Olympics and was named the best defensemen in the Tournament. I think he'd be a great fit on the Wings in a top 4 setting!

Where did you hear/see this? I can't find anything from any American, Canadian or Swedish news outlets suggesting that he's coming back. Would it be for the playoff run or for next season? Remember that he has a history with concussions. That's why he left for the not-quite-as-physical second tier Swedish league in the first place.

Where did you hear/see this? I can't find anything from any American, Canadian or Swedish news outlets suggesting that he's coming back. Would it be for the playoff run or for next season? Remember that he has a history with concussions. That's why he left for the not-quite-as-physical second tier Swedish league in the first place.

I wish I had a link, it's from a HFBoards thread.

actually i think adding jonsson would be pretty good , playing him with lidstrom would be a no brainer and hes a big guy and a swede lol and only 31 we need to start getting some young defensemen for when lidstrom/chelios and schneider leave so our veterans can teach them and we'd be good at the d even after those 3 move

Wouldn't that be something?

So what you are saying is that the Wings could possibliy sign him before the playoffs?

He did play great by the way.

he did play pretty damn soild during the games...but look at his NHL record it isn't that impressive. I dunno bout this guy...Id defnietly take him over Woolley. But with Kronwall back I really don't see much room.

i completely forgot about woolley lol has he even been playing alot ?

id definetly get rid of him for jonsson

he would play alot better with lidstrom and his fellow swedes then on most other teams

lang

woolley

rivers

those are the 3 guys id trade

i might even consider trading matlby next season just for the fact that 1.4 is too much for the new nhl for what he does , but since the cap is gonna go up next season and he would most likely take a paycut of like 600k after his contract ends id keep him around

Edited by wingsfan27

Jönsson would be really nice, but he left the NHL because of his concussions. It's better to his health to play in Swedish second level. NHL's rough play could be really bad for like Lindros etc. One concussion more and he could have headaches and using painkillers for rest of his life. Health is just not worth of money.

But of we're gonna after him, there's any trade. He is UFA. He would replace Fish as defensive D-man quite well.

Lidström - Lilja

Lebda - Schneider

Jönsson - Kronwall

Edited by Henkka

he would play alot better with lidstrom and his fellow swedes then on most other teams

lang

woolley

rivers

i might even consider trading matlby next season just for the fact that 1.4 is too much for the new nhl for what he does , but since the cap is gonna go up next season and he would most likely take a paycut of like 600k after his contract ends id keep him around

why do you hate lang??

next year his salary will be nicer under the cap anyway, bad move to trade him

I guess from everything I have read, Jonsson is RFA from the Islanders. Everyone over at HF is saying he would have to clear waivers to sign anywhere and the Isles would have to allow him to leave.

I guess from everything I have read, Jonsson is RFA from the Islanders. Everyone over at HF is saying he would have to clear waivers to sign anywhere and the Isles would have to allow him to leave.

Well, since a team like the Penguins or Blues would claim him, they could claim then trade I suppose.

RFA? How is this possible, he is already 31 years old.

???

Way better then Woolley and has the experience over Lebda.

Ya but to be honest who isn't better than Woolley? It really isn't saying to much.

lang

woolley

rivers

why do you hate lang??

next year his salary will be nicer under the cap anyway, bad move to trade him

i dont hate lang , but i just think we dont need him and hes not as great as everyone thought he was , and hes not having great numbers like the last time there was a season like i said he wouldnt and for the nearly 4 million we could use to get another 1 or 2 players more important to get like a redden i would get rid of him

we got zetterberg/datsyuk/shanahan which is our main offensive punch

we got holmstrom and samuelsson who can put in 20+ and come in at a good price for us , williams although hes struggling has proven he can put up points

we got grigorenko and filppila hopefully coming up

i just think our offense is more then fine and getting rid of lang wouldnt be the end of the world and would give us more cash to help out or defense with our top guys getting older and older and goaltending which has always been our problem

???

I am just telling ya what I read. His age was brought up in the discussion, and people were still pretty certain that he would have to clear waivers from the Islanders to sign with another team.

Obviously, I dont know all the specifics.

???

I am just telling ya what I read. His age was brought up in the discussion, and people were still pretty certain that he would have to clear waivers from the Islanders to sign with another team.

Obviously, I dont know all the specifics.

He would have to clear waivers to play in the NHL, no matter who he signed with.

Had Kovalchuk played in Russia past opening night for NHL, he'd have had to go through waivers too.

He would have to clear waivers to play in the NHL, no matter who he signed with.

I just want him at next season. Then he is just UFA, and no any waivers are disturbing getting him.

I still like this idea. Jönsson is maybe the best free stay-at-home guy in Europe right now. He would be awesome to be paired with Kronwall. We could also have this guy to replace Fischer's spot almost perfectly. Jönsson is a little bit older, not so big and not so physical, but he is a perfect defenseman with the new NHL rules. I'm quite sure that Kenny would be very interested in joining this Red Wings Swedish communnity.

Red Wings Defence 2006-07:

Lidström-Lilja

Jönsson-Kronwall

Schneider-Chelios

(Lebda)

Edited by Henkka