• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LemonPower

Wings acquire D Cory Cross from Penguins

Rate this topic

Rivers + 4th pick are better than Cross and 7th pick...

A list of our 4th round draft picks in the last ten years:

Mattias Ritola

Evan McGrath

Ryan Oulahen

Johan Berggren

Drew MacIntyre

Miroslav Blatak

Stefan Liv

Dimitri Semenov

Alexander Seluyanov

Jari Tolsa

Brent Hobday

Quintin Laing

Johan Forsander

Oh boy.

For comparison's sake, the 7th rounders:

Bretton Stamler

Steve Covington

Tomas Kollar

Derek Meech

Jimmie Svensson

Henrik Zetterberg

Jeremy Goetzinger

Mike Laceby

Colin Beardsmore

Zetterberg among the 7th rounders, McGrath and Liv from the 4th round. Out of 22 players, three worth talking about.

I'm not sweating the draft picks.

I'm sure the same was thought about Samuelson before he came here,

You mean when we brought him over after he had an impressive season playing in Europe?

Do you think Mathieu Schneider is saying "put Cory on my line!" like Zetterberg said about Sammy?

Mattias Ritola

Evan McGrath

Ryan Oulahen

Johan Berggren

Drew MacIntyre

Miroslav Blatak

Stefan Liv

Dimitri Semenov

Alexander Seluyanov

Jari Tolsa

Brent Hobday

Quintin Laing

Johan Forsander

Oh boy.

Bretton Stamler

Steve Covington

Tomas Kollar

Derek Meech

Jimmie Svensson

Henrik Zetterberg

Jeremy Goetzinger

Mike Laceby

Colin Beardsmore

Zetterberg among the 7th rounders, McGrath and Liv from the 4th round.  Out of 22 players, three worth talking about.

We could traded our 1st with Mowers, Woolley for Salei??? We don't use draft picks???...

That time is over my friend with the salary cup... Right now we need to keep these ''high'' picks... There is no FA shop. time like in the past...

Edited by Dominator2005

My fricken god some you guys ***** about some of the most minute details that nobody will remember in 5 years.

I don't see what there is to be upset about. Did you honestly expect there to be a major deal to improve this team this season with the limited cap space they have and the good position they are in right now?

Holland said all along he wanted to get a depth-defenseman or perhaps another forward.

I don't see how he did anything that contradicted what he was intending to do.

And it's not like Cross is going to play a whole lot more than Rivers anyway IMO.

You cannot tell me with a straight face that Cross severely hurts the Wings playoffs chances or the Wings are significantly worse off than they were before with 1 player. Are they better off? Not really, but not much needs fixing right now.

Some of you guys sound like the Wings have gone from Stanley Cup contender and 1st in the division to being the Pittsburgh Penguins this season.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

My fricken god some you guys ***** about some of the most minute details that nobody will remember in 5 years.

I don't see what there is to be upset about. Did you honestly expect there to be a major deal to improve this team this season with the limited cap space they have and the good position they are in right now?

Holland said all along he wanted to get a depth-defenseman or perhaps another forward.

And it's not like Cross is going to play a whole lot more than Rivers anyway IMO.

You cannot tell me with a straight face that Cross severely hurts the Wings playoffs chances or the Wings are significantly worse off than they were before with 1 player. Are they better off? Not really, but not much needs fixing right now.

Some of you guys sound like the Wings have gone from Stanley Cup contender and 1st in the division to being the Pittsburgh Penguins this season.

Quit bitching about us bitching. laugh.gif

Mattias Ritola

Evan McGrath

Ryan Oulahen

Johan Berggren

Drew MacIntyre

Miroslav Blatak

Stefan Liv

Dimitri Semenov

Alexander Seluyanov

Jari Tolsa

Brent Hobday

Quintin Laing

Johan Forsander

Oh boy.

Bretton Stamler

Steve Covington

Tomas Kollar

Derek Meech

Jimmie Svensson

Henrik Zetterberg

Jeremy Goetzinger

Mike Laceby

Colin Beardsmore

Zetterberg among the 7th rounders, McGrath and Liv from the 4th round.  Out of 22 players, three worth talking about.

We could traded our 1st with Mowers, Woolley for Salei??? We don't use draft picks???...

That time is over my friend with the salary cup... Right now we need to keep these ''high'' picks... There is no FA shop. time like in the past...

Wait....we ought to have traded our 1st rounder to get a better D-man, but we don't want to lose the high draft picks?

Point is, the fourth round is just as much a crapshoot as the 7th.

I don't see what there is to be upset about.  Did you honestly expect there to be a major deal to improve this team this season with the limited cap space they have and the good position they are in right now?

You cannot tell me with a straight face that Cross severely hurts the Wings playoffs chances or the Wings are significantly worse off than they were before with 1 player.  Are they better off?  Not really, but not much needs fixing right now.

Quit bitching about us bitching. laugh.gif

Thank you!!!

From the Free Press:

As for getting any outside help, the Wings can take on the face value of a contract worth about $1 million or less. That limits their options, and they may have to wait and see what's available.

Sounds like we couldn't even afford any of the top-4 D-men available.

You mean when we brought him over after he had an impressive season playing in Europe?

Do you think Mathieu Schneider is saying "put Cory on my line!" like Zetterberg said about Sammy?

Maybe he will, how the hell would you know otherwise???

Well, Schneider has a brain doesn't he? Case closed.

cross has been terrible this year. at least rivers could go out there and bang people around as a forward if necessary.

i sure hope that the reason that they didn't get anyone else was because they were right up against the cap.

I think this is a *meh* deal. It doesn't really matter at all. We've got a solid 5 defensemen that are better than him, and a few more that are arguably better. The only way this guy comes into play I think is if someone is/gets hurt.

You could also probably see this guy playing in the last stretch to give some of our current, regular D-men a rest.

I would've been much happier about this deal if he was a forward. Maybe he can play some LW/RW and give some of our forwards a rest while he's at it too....

I don't mind getting Cory Cross, and I like that we got rid of Jamie Rivers, but why did we have to give up a fourth round pick? My take is that Holland traded Rivers with the idea that he was acquiring Witt, when that deal fell thru or when Nashville upped their offer, Holland was caught with his pants down and overpaid for Cross. No way Holland thought last night that he wanted Cory Cross and would spend a fourth rounder for him. The biggest issue I have is why wait till the trade deadline? Witt could've been had all year, it was thought a mid-level draft pick was all it'd take about 2 months ago, why didn't Holland act then? That to me is the most frustrating part. Teams are no longer going to give players away to just dump salary, the cap makes everyone equal and with 20 games left, teams don't want to throw away the season. Therefore the lack of sellers drives up the market, anyone could tell you that, so why not act early? If Holland offered a 3rd round pick and a Williams for Witt, McPhee would've done cartwheels a few months ago, today it would've taken Hudler and picks perhaps or Kindl and picks. I can guarantee that McPhee's asking price only went up once Nashville and LA and Vancover got desperate

Edited by Barnes52