• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LemonPower

Wings acquire D Cory Cross from Penguins

Rate this topic

Guest micah

I was a little dissapointed with the pick up I must admit. But if he'll drop the gloves when someone cross checks or takes a run at the captian I'll be happy. He will drop the gloves, no?

Nope. 10 fights in 12 seasons. He's about as prone to fight as Larry Murphy was. He reminds me alot of Uwe Krupp, in that he's big, can't play, refuses to scrap or hit, and when he does get forced to fight, he sucks at it and makes a fool of himself.

SCARY MOMENT: Forward Dan Cleary was summoned to coach Mike Babcock's office hours before the NHL's 3 p.m. trade deadline. Uh-oh.

"Dan Cleary came in and his face was sheet white," Babcock said. "And then I apologized to him. Just 'cause I had no idea. I'm not thinking about that. I'm not the GM. I'm just trying to win tonight."

Cleary said Babcock wanted to talk about the penalty kill.

"You're like, 'Oh God! What's going on,' " Cleary said of his thoughts as he entered Babcock's office. "He looks at me, he's like 'No! Nothing like that.' ...

"Obviously, today is a day where everyone in the league knows your life can turn any minute. Things can go from good to bad or from bad to really bad."

I would have been terrified going into Bab's office on that day. Cleary, must of had a huge mix of emotions in a matter of 5 minutes.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

SCARY MOMENT: Forward Dan Cleary was summoned to coach Mike Babcock's office hours before the NHL's 3 p.m. trade deadline. Uh-oh.

"Dan Cleary came in and his face was sheet white," Babcock said. "And then I apologized to him. Just 'cause I had no idea. I'm not thinking about that. I'm not the GM. I'm just trying to win tonight."

Cleary said Babcock wanted to talk about the penalty kill.

"You're like, 'Oh God! What's going on,' " Cleary said of his thoughts as he entered Babcock's office. "He looks at me, he's like 'No! Nothing like that.' ...

"Obviously, today is a day where everyone in the league knows your life can turn any minute. Things can go from good to bad or from bad to really bad."

Poor Cleary. tongue.gif

peace

Hahaha, that's funny. Just yesterday I was reading Cleary's mini Q&A in the latest edition of The Hockey News and making fun of him for saying his worst travel experience is when he has to travel coach.

I doubt that Holland had a trade for Witt. Poile said yesterday that he's been working on Witt since the draft. When if came down to it, it was either one of our top prospects or the first round pick. Poile sent the pick, and I think thats the better deal. Either way, I don't think any other teams were as close to Witt as people believed, Washington was just playing that card to get more out of Poile and it worked.

Kenny should've tried to get Aaron Ward back, he was/is a quality guy who knows how to hit.

Carolina's defense is depleated as is, and they're going to be front runners for the cup. No reason for them to trade an experienced veteren like Ward.

Hahaha, that's funny. Just yesterday I was reading Cleary's mini Q&A in the latest edition of The Hockey News and making fun of him for saying his worst travel experience is when he has to travel coach.

That response reminds of the famous "Newlywed Game" response to the wierdest place the couple had ever made whoopie (as they like to call it).

The wife responded, probably in the butt. laugh.gif

*shakes head*

Kenny should've tried to get Aaron Ward back, he was/is a quality guy who knows how to hit.

The only reason Ward was traded in the first place was because Scotty hated him.....otherwise I bet you he would still be here.

That response reminds of the famous "Newlywed Game" response to the wierdest place the couple had ever made whoopie (as they like to call it).

The wife responded, probably in the butt. laugh.gif

*shakes head*

LOL

it took me a couple seconds to get that

but LOL!

laugh.gif

Cross is an upgrade over Rivers.

Cross has shown in the past he is capable of top-four level play, but all we need him for is as an injury replacement.

Rivers is a CAREER MINOR LEAGUER who has never been in a team's top six in the NHL.

So we lost three rounds in the draft in the change of picks....Cross is worth that much of an upgrade.

As for those of you saying we should have grabbed Witt...Witt is not significantly better than Cross, and certainly not worth a first and/or Hudler, etc.

Unless you think giving up a first pick or top prospect for an overpaid fifth defenseman who will leave at the end of the year is a good deal?

if nothing else... it's an upgrade from Rivers... so if injuries take their toll down the stretch and into the playoffs we have a more worthy relacement... 8 d-men tho??

we only have 7

lidstrom, schneider, chelios, kronwall, lebda, woolley and cross

IMO, I wish Holland kept Rivers and his 4th pick than pick up Cross and a 7th. However, this trade was made for a reason and its obvious Holland sees something in Cross that will help the team or maybe he thinks he can fit nicely into the system. I don't think he would just randomly pick Cross from all the players out there.

From what I know and have seen of Cross, he is responsible defensively because he is a stay at home guy, he does have a pretty good shot and even though he is not overly physical and is slow, he is a big dude who could move guys around.

With his days in Toronto he was bad, with Edmonton he was better. If what they say about him being smart is true, then he is a Holland kind of guy and there might be potential. Plus there is that history of defensemen who are at the end of their career coming to Detroit and playing well.

Personally, I think he will play more than people think because he is a different player type than Wooley and Lebda.

I'm not bashing Holland because its obvious the asking price for players was just too steep. Even a guy like Mitchell who would fit into Detroit's future plans is reportedly seeking 3.5 mill. per year which Holland may have given him but not unless he had a contract in place otherwise there is the risk of losing him to free agency and it would have cost you players/prospects and/or picks. IMO, Holland is smart to wait till free agency, less risk and I believe more options available.

Gee, ya think maybe Carolina knows that and needs that too? Ward is an important player for THEIR Cup run also.

Do some of you think Holland just waves a wand and picks players up?

Some people honestly feel that a trade can be done just because it makes sense on paper.

Lang for Souray makes sense, they need another center, but will Montreal do it? Probably not, there's tons of variables that we, the fans, do not know about.

Not every player is available, not every player wants to come to Detroit. And even if GM's say their players are available, its not a given they'll be moved.

Saying why didn't Holland get Witt 2 months ago is moot, if Holland could've tossed a 2nd rounder to Washington 2 months ago and landed Witt he would've gotten him. Washington isn't stupid, they knew they'd get a bigger return at the deadline, they weren't pressured to move him, he wasn't being disruptive or anything.

If there wasn't a salary cap, the Wings would have Witt and whoever else they wanted right about now.

Edited by Heaton

Gee, ya think maybe Carolina knows that and needs that too? Ward is an important player for THEIR Cup run also.

No I don't. I was simply saying it would have been nice. I'm not a GM or an accountant or anything like that. But, Gee, I sure do think your being an ass for no reason.

If we hadn't dumped Rivers and brought in Cross, people would just be bitching that Holland didn't do anything at all.

If only we could've gotten Witt for a seventh rounder...

Pretty much yeah, Cross might start a game or 2 before the season is over just to validate the trade, but I don't see him being a regular.

...unless there are injuries of course...

wurd,

esteef

One thing people are forgetting;

This will be the first playoff year under the new rules, and the first in almost seventy years with no two-line offsides.

There is no way to predict how Cross or Witt or anyone else would alter our chances; Giving up a big piece of the future for a totally unkown factor would not have been a good move.

Holland got the Wings bigger and tougher without sacrificing much.

One thing people are forgetting;

This will be the first playoff year under the new rules, and the first in almost seventy years with no two-line offsides.

There is no way to predict how Cross or Witt or anyone else would alter our chances; Giving up a big piece of the future for a totally unkown factor would not have been a good move.

Holland got the Wings bigger and tougher without sacrificing much.

I can agree with that. Plus, keep in mind, a lot of, we'll say, "average" defensemen have come over and had good years in Detroit's system. (Wooley, Olaussen, Dandenault, etc...) Now I'm not saying they rose to the top of the team or anything, but they definitely contributed. (Remember Olaussen's OT goal against the Avs in the playoffs?)

Anyway, just food for thought. I'm all for keeping an open mind about Cross.

Cheers!

esteef

With his days in Toronto he was bad, with Edmonton he was better. If what they say about him being smart is true, then he is a Holland kind of guy and there might be potential. Plus there is that history of defensemen who are at the end of their career coming to Detroit and playing well.

A Leafs fan friend of mine told me he felt Cross looked bad in Toronto because Toronto is always asking defensemen to play higher on the depth chart than their ability. (Case in point: Aki Berg.) They tried to use Cross as a 4th d-man and he's not. He did do well in Edmonton, and I think once he gets on the ice with the Wings, people will be pleased with his play.