• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LemonPower

Wings acquire D Cory Cross from Penguins

Rate this topic

Draper_Rocks#33 Posted on March 9, 2006 - 05:09PM

are u people ever happy??...give holland some credit he worked with what he had

WHAT?!?!?

Don't you pay attention? Holland is the worst GM in history! I learned that from the fans...at the parade.

WHAT!!

worst GM...were your around in 02

laugh.gif Read between the lines.

Draper_Rocks#33 Posted on March 9, 2006 - 05:09PM

are u people ever happy??...give holland some credit he worked with what he had

WHAT?!?!?

Don't you pay attention? Holland is the worst GM in history! I learned that from the fans...at the parade.

yea i wouldnt call him the worst, look at our team!!

I personally think that Cross is underrated but I don't know if the trade was necessary. He does give us a little toughness, so that's good. Can't say I'm disappointed but at the same time, I'm a little indifferent on whether or not we got him.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. unsure.gif

Do u guys really think holland is that bad of a GM??!!

Moscow was being sarcastic I believe, Draper_Rocks.

No I don't think he's a bad GM. But that doesn't make me happy with today's developments one bit.

I wasn't expecting anything dramatic. A servicable stay-at-home defenseman isn't a horrible pickup, and since I don't know much about Cross besides his player bio on TSN, I'm hesitant to judge this move until I see him play.

Consider this, though: Todd Simpson is as tough as they come and he went to Montreal for a 6th round pick. He's the guy I would've targeted for defensive depth.

This has to be one of the worst trades Holland has ever made. He gave a 4th round pick away for a guy who can't get a game for the worst team in the Nhl when he could have had Todd Simpson for a 6th round pick. At least Simpson would have provided toughness for the pick, Cross provides squat. I can't believe this guy has wen't from the worst team in the Nhl to one of the top contenders for the cup. What a joke.

Just because Holland wanted to acquire a depth defenseman doesn't mean he had to go after one of the worst defenseman in the league. And thats not an exaggeration. He has few fans and every one of the past 3 teams hes been on have been very displeased with him.

Too much frickin whining going on around here. Holland and Babcock said they wouldnt do much other than add a depth defensman. Cross is a depth defensman.

Get over it already.

I wasn't expecting anything dramatic. A servicable stay-at-home defenseman isn't a horrible pickup, and since I don't know much about Cross besides his player bio on TSN, I'm hesitant to judge this move until I see him play.

Consider this, though: Todd Simpson is as tough as they come and he went to Montreal for a 6th round pick. He's the guy I would've targeted for defensive depth.

I wasn't even aware Todd Simpson had been moved, but I would've definitely taken him. He's not that much better than Cross at all, but he is as tough as they come and could've provided the sand paper I've felt we've been missing all season long. And the asking price was right.

I also see Mitchell was moved to the Stars along with a second round pick. I would've been ecstatic had we landed him. Though it appears as if Dallas did give up a little bit too.

I'm really dissapointed....

"Has had a hard time grasping the physical aspect of the NHL. At his size, he's always expected to be far more aggressive than he is."

-TSN

Isn't this getting a little redundant? Ah.

Just because Holland wanted to acquire a depth defenseman doesn't mean he had to go after one of the worst defenseman in the league. And thats not an exaggeration. He has few fans and every one of the past 3 teams hes been on have been very displeased with him.

Totally agree. I've already mentioned it, but I'd like to highlight the fact that Cory Cross was a healthy scratch in Pitsburgh this season. He was behind Eric friggin' Cairns on the Penguins' depth chart.

Too much frickin whining going on around here. Holland and Babcock said they wouldnt do much other than add a depth defensman. Cross is a depth defensman.

Get over it already.

So why not pursue a depth defensemen that provides what we need? Physicality = Todd Simpson.

It's true that Cross hardly played in Pittsburgh, but then again Samuelson also had trouble cracked the vaunted Penguins roster.

Cross had his best season in 03-04 as the #4 D-man on Edmonton. This year he has struggled with injuries, but if he is healthy he could be similar to Lilja.

wink.gif

Totally indifferent on the deal.

Cross had his best season in 03-04 as the #4 D-man on Edmonton. This year he has struggled with injuries, but if he is healthy he could be similar to Lilja.

unsure.gif Now I'm getting worried.

But in a sense, this is all too similar to the signing of Lilja. Just when it looks as if Ken Holland has no choice but to go out and nab a physical defenceman, he takes the biggest softie he can find and overpays for him.

Do you guys think that Holland DIDNT try to make a bigger move? Both teams have to agree to the deal. Maybe Holland did want Luckowich, but for some reason Milbury decided to make the NJ deal. Maybe Holland did try for Simpson, but Chicago thought the Montreal pick would be better? Those are the only 2 trades that I can see that would have been a good choice for the Wings. Every other team that picked up a defensman today had to overpay for them. I, for one, am glad that Holland didnt give anyone a 1st or 2nd for the likes of Carney, Weinrich, etc, etc....

Awful lot of 2nd guessing of one of the better GM's in the league. I guess we all forgot about how he has kept this team atop the NHL despite having his payroll cut in HALF.

What a bum.

Get over it already.

Higgy4, Come on man, Holland just gave away a 4th rounder for a guy that sucks and that doesn't benefit the team and you want us all to be happy about it. Every other team around us got stronger and all we did was get slower.

Too much frickin whining going on around here.  Holland and Babcock said they wouldnt do much other than add a depth defensman.  Cross is a depth defensman. 

Get over it already.

Higgy4, Come on man, Holland just gave away a 4th rounder for a guy that sucks and that doesn't benefit the team and you want us all to be happy about it. Every other team around us got stronger and all we did was get slower.

Calgary didn't! Neither did Colorado.

Edmonton got a boost, but not much, Dallas got a little bit stronger and Vancouver still has a lot of problems to deal with.

No one became more of a threat.

Edited by Heaton

It also needs to be said that we can't make the same deals other team make because (e.g. another team's 3rd rounder is always preferred to our 3rd rounder).

That why the NHL should return to the snake draft!

Too much frickin whining going on around here.  Holland and Babcock said they wouldnt do much other than add a depth defensman.  Cross is a depth defensman. 

Get over it already.

Calgary didn't!

The Wings couldn't beat them already so what does that say about the Wings.