• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LemonPower

Wings acquire D Cory Cross from Penguins

Rate this topic

Too much frickin whining going on around here.  Holland and Babcock said they wouldnt do much other than add a depth defensman.  Cross is a depth defensman. 

Get over it already.

Higgy4, Come on man, Holland just gave away a 4th rounder for a guy that sucks and that doesn't benefit the team and you want us all to be happy about it. Every other team around us got stronger and all we did was get slower.

Calgary didn't!

Well, they did land Lundmark. I know it's no big deal, but at least they'll have some depth down the middle (which they truly need). Meanwhile, two of our biggest conference rivals (Dallas and Nashville) bolstered their D. I realize Witt was probably out of our range in regards to what Holland had to work with, but he could've done far better than Cory Cross.

Whining, and bitching is what Wings fans are best at. I mean serioulsy no one is EVER satisfied. What part of depth defensman is so hard to understand? That's what Holland has said all along, and when he finally makes his move and sticks to his word everyone's whining and complaining about it. How do you guys know that Cross won't be good for the Wings? Being on a different team, a great team can make a BIG difference for players such as Cross. Who's to say he won't step up his game? Babs will fire him up.

The Wings couldn't beat them already so what does that say about the Wings.

And do you think that Brenden Witt or Salei would've changed anything in your statementy? Haha, get a clue. Calgary beat us twice way back when before our team totally gelled. Let's wait until April. Calgary will never do anything in the playoffs with their 28th ranked offense. Look at the recent years, the last time the a team won the cup (I think) where they both didn't have offense and defense in the top 10 was the Penguins in the early 90's.

Wow....some of you people act as if the difference between Todd Simpson and Cory Cross is THE Stanley Cup difference-maker.

Bulls##t.

Cory Cross > Jamie Rivers. The team is improved at the deadline. End of story.

Agreed 100%.

Well, they did land Lundmark. I know it's no big deal, but at least they'll have some depth down the middle (which they truly need). Meanwhile, two of our biggest conference rivals (Dallas and Nashville) bolstered their D. I realize Witt was probably out of our range in regards to what Holland had to work with, but he could've done far better than Cory Cross.

Witt is not going to do much, we usually get 30+ shots on Nashville every time we play them, Witt isn't going to do s**t but give us more powerplay oppourtunities.

Edited by Heaton

Witt is not going to do much, we usually get 30+ shots on Nashville every time we play them, Witt isn't going to do s**t but give us more powerplay oppourtunities.

Nashville has issues with shot totals, so they got a defensive defenceman, that's how I see it. And I really do think Witt provides more than just the ability to take penalties. He's widely regarded as a top four d-man.

Just starting to check the trade wire.

We trade for Cory Cross? CORY FRIGGIN CROSS?????

Cory Cross is as soft as they come, can't hit for s**t, and is OLD OLD OLD.

And we lose Rivers? I'd rather have kept Jamie and done nothing today.

This helps us how?

I'm in shock.

For the first time I can remember, i'm with alot of fellow Wing Fans in saying i'm very, very disappointed in Holland!

Nashville has issues with shot totals, so they got a defensive defenceman, that's how I see it. And I really do think Witt provides more than just the ability to take penalties. He's widely regarded as a top four d-man.

He's a top 4 defensemen, but he's vastly overrated, Nashville grossly overpaid for him, he's not a shutdown defensemen. He'll help solidify their pairings, but he's not the game breaker defensemen that'll give us fits.

And do you think that Brenden Witt or Salei would've changed anything in your statementy? Haha, get a clue. Calgary beat us twice way back when before our team totally gelled. Let's wait until April. Calgary will never do anything in the playoffs with their 28th ranked offense. Look at the recent years, the last time the a team won the cup (I think) where they both didn't have offense and defense in the top 10 was the Penguins in the early 90's.

Look Heaton, i think Nashville overpayed for Witt but atleast they got a player that will benefit their team greatly when the playoffs come, now Holland on the other hand overpayed massively on Cross, a fourth rounder for a waste of space, thats what bothers me the most.

You guys realize that Cross isn't going to play unless there's an injury right?

Doesn't matter.

I want a guy off the bench who can jump into the lineup and play.

Cory Cross had his best days in Toronto, and THAT, MY FRIEND isn't a compliment.

How is Cross and upgrade for Rivers?

I mean hmmm, let's some 800 thousand on .. geez i don't know ... CORY CROSS?

OMG. This is some kind of funny. Uhh, not really. mad.gif

I seriously have to laugh at some of you guys. Holland did exactly what he said he was going to do. Picked up a depth d-man. I never read anywhere that he was going to pick up a 4-5 d-man. You seem to think that Holland is the only part of this process and he can just get whatever he wants while the rest of the league lets him have his way. There are 2 parts to a trade and the fact is maybe these teams did not like what Detroit had to offer so they went somewhere else. i would rather they pick up Cross for some depth giving up what they did than give up too much for a player who may be around for the rest of this season only. I would rather see this trade than the one Nashville made, sure they got Whitt who contrary to what some here seem to think is not the ultimate defensmen but they gave up way too much for him. The Wings got a little better and added some decent depth and that is all that I would expect from a team that is having good success now.

Too much frickin whining going on around here.  Holland and Babcock said they wouldnt do much other than add a depth defensman.  Cross is a depth defensman. 

Get over it already.

So why not pursue a depth defensemen that provides what we need? Physicality = Todd Simpson.

Thats what Im saying. Simpson was had for a 6th round piclk, made 600k all season (CHEAPER THAN CROSS) and FIGHTS.

How did we miss this opportunity. I wasnt looking for us to sign a top 4 like some were expecting us to sign Witt, but I thought Simpson would be perfect. Hes actually a player that we DONT already have the same version of in our lineup. The guy would ACTUALLY be a replacement for Fischer in the physical sense.

Look at the recent years, the last time the a team won the cup (I think) where they both didn't have offense and defense in the top 10 was the Penguins in the early 90's.

And that's only because Mario was hurt during the regular season. They were a completely different team in the playoffs, so even that doesn't count.

Still, Calgary is good for an upset if nothing else. I'd rather someone else do the dirty work for us if possible...

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

Look Heaton, i think Nashville overpayed for Witt but at least they got a player that will benefit their team greatly when the playoffs come, now Holland on the other hand overpayed massively on Cross, a fourth rounder for a waste of space, thats what bothers me the most.

thumbup.gif

And now people in here are now saying who wanted Witt anyway. blink.gif

Edited by motorcitykid

I seriously have to laugh at some of you guys. Holland did exactly what he said he was going to do. Picked up a depth d-man. I never read anywhere that he was going to pick up a 4-5 d-man. You seem to think that Holland is the only part of this process and he can just get whatever he wants while the rest of the league lets him have his way. There are 2 parts to a trade and the fact is maybe these teams did not like what Detroit had to offer so they went somewhere else. i would rather they pick up Cross for some depth giving up what they did than give up too much for a player who may be around for the rest of this season only. I would rather see this trade than the one Nashville made, sure they got Whitt who contrary to what some here seem to think is not the ultimate defensmen but they gave up way too much for him. The Wings got a little better and added some decent depth and that is all that I would expect from a team that is having good success now.

Simpson is a 4-5 Dman? News to me....

You guys realize that Cross isn't going to play unless there's an injury right?

Isn't it kind've foolish to think we're going to make it through the playoffs with four defencemen 35 or older. Cross will see some time with us, and he is no better than Jamie Rivers. Not one bit. I got to see him play all the time in Toronto.

Thats what Im saying. Simpson was had for a 6th round piclk, made 600k all season (CHEAPER THAN CROSS) and FIGHTS.

How did we miss this opportunity. I wasnt looking for us to sign a top 4 like some were expecting us to sign Witt, but I thought Simpson would be perfect. Hes actually a player that we DONT already have the same version of in our lineup. The guy would ACTUALLY be a replacement for Fischer in the physical sense.

Because Todd Simpson is f**king garbage, he was the reason why Chicago had so many 5 on 3 penalties. The only reason to get Todd Simpson is to help boost the penalty killing % because we'd have an extra 3-4 night on DUMB PENALTIES.

I don't even think Cross is good, I don't even care about him, I didn't even want Holland to do a move at all. But Todd Simpson is garbage, he doesn't replace anyone, he's physical, he fights and he would cost us goals and get penalties in crucial situations.

Rivers or Cory Cross? Who cares, neither are playing and here's one more thing.

WE WERE NEVER GETTING A DEFENSEMEN TO PUT INTO THE TOP 6.

Doesn't matter.

I want a guy off the bench who can jump into the lineup and play.

Cory Cross had his best days in Toronto, and THAT, MY FRIEND isn't a compliment.

How is Cross and upgrade for Rivers?

I mean hmmm, let's some 800 thousand on .. geez i don't know ... CORY CROSS?

OMG. This is some kind of funny. Uhh, not really. mad.gif

Wrong. Cross had his best season in 03-04 with EDMONTON.

Cross > Rivers because Cross can move the puck. Rivers can't.

We CAN'T PICK UP PHYSICAL D-man for anything lower than a 2nd rounder because depth D-men who are physical CANNOT move the puck, and thus can't play for us since they would render the rest of the players less effective.

That said Witt or Mitchell would have been IDEAL, but not worth the price.