• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LemonPower

Wings acquire D Cory Cross from Penguins

Rate this topic

Isn't it kind've foolish to think we're going to make it through the playoffs with four defencemen 35 or older. Cross will see some time with us, and he is no better than Jamie Rivers. Not one bit. I got to see him play all the time in Toronto.

If Jamie Rivers hardly ever played, why do you think Cross will? Lebda and Woolley fill out the 6-7th defensemen, Rivers only played in bizaree circumstances.

Are you guys really freaking out over an EIGTH defensemen?

Im lost as to why people are using the excuse that Holland only wanted to pick up a depth defenseman. Is that reason enough to pick up the worst one???? 75% of the defenseman traded today were depth defenseman. ALL of them are better than Cross.

If Jamie Rivers hardly ever played, why do you think Cross will? Lebda and Woolley fill out the 6-7th defensemen, Rivers only played in bizaree circumstances.

Im freaking out over an EIGHTH defenseman when we couldve had a SIXTH defenseman that actually uses his body in the lineup.

Thats what Im saying. Simpson was had for a 6th round piclk, made 600k all season (CHEAPER THAN CROSS) and FIGHTS.

How did we miss this opportunity. I wasnt looking for us to sign a top 4 like some were expecting us to sign Witt, but I thought Simpson would be perfect. Hes actually a player that we DONT already have the same version of in our lineup. The guy would ACTUALLY be a replacement for Fischer in the physical sense.

Because Todd Simpson is f**king garbage, he was the reason why Chicago had so many 5 on 3 penalties. The only reason to get Todd Simpson is to help boost the penalty killing % because we'd have an extra 3-4 night on DUMB PENALTIES.

I don't even think Cross is good, I don't even care about him, I didn't even want Holland to do a move at all. But Todd Simpson is garbage, he doesn't replace anyone, he's physical, he fights and he would cost us goals and get penalties in crucial situations.

Rivers or Cory Cross? Who cares, neither are playing and here's one more thing.

WE WERE NEVER GETTING A DEFENSEMEN TO PUT INTO THE TOP 6.

I think there should've been some attempt by Holland to replace the void left by Jiri Fischer. I'm fully aware of the fact that we've been moving along fine all season without him, but when it comes to the playoffs, defensive depth is key.

Im lost as to why people are using the excuse that Holland only wanted to pick up a depth defenseman. Is that reason enough to pick up the worst one???? 75% of the defenseman traded today were depth defenseman. ALL of them are better than Cross.

WRONG.

Cross > Simpson (in our system)

Cross > Brown (in our system)

Cross > McCarthy (in our system)

Cross > Rivers (in our system)

Cross > Richardson (in our system)

Do you know for sure? Did those teams want to trade with Detroit? Did the player want to go to Detroit? Did they contact Ken Holland? Did Ken Holland know they were available?

They weren't going to get rid of Woolley or Lebda, so we weren't getting a SIXTH defensemen.

If Jamie Rivers hardly ever played, why do you think Cross will?  Lebda and Woolley fill out the 6-7th defensemen, Rivers only played in bizaree circumstances.

Im freaking out over an EIGHTH defenseman when we couldve had a SIXTH defenseman that actually uses his body in the lineup.

And would have cost the wings less and he would have actually provided something that the Wings need.

I think there should've been some attempt by Holland to replace the void left by Jiri Fischer. I'm fully aware of the fact that we've been moving along fine all season without him, but when it comes to the playoffs, defensive depth is key.

Does anyone know his contract situation for sure? Does anyone know for sure how much cap room we have? Does anyone actually know what is going on?

Doesn't matter.

I want a guy off the bench who can jump into the lineup and play.

Cory Cross had his best days in Toronto, and THAT, MY FRIEND isn't a compliment.

How is Cross and upgrade for Rivers?

I mean hmmm, let's some 800 thousand on .. geez i don't know ... CORY CROSS?

OMG. This is some kind of funny. Uhh, not really.  mad.gif

Wrong. Cross had his best season in 03-04 with EDMONTON.

Cross > Rivers because Cross can move the puck. Rivers can't.

We CAN'T PICK UP PHYSICAL D-man for anything lower than a 2nd rounder because depth D-men who are physical CANNOT move the puck, and thus can't play for us since they would render the rest of the players less effective.

That said Witt or Mitchell would have been IDEAL, but not worth the price.

clap.gif

I said it before, I'll say it now, and I'll say it again as many times as I have to get this through people's skulls: Cross > Rivers. The defense corps is improved. When Chelios needs a break or if someone gets one of those ever-present playoff-style groin injuries, I feel a lot better with Cross stepping up to the plate than Rivers.

Do you know for sure? Did those teams want to trade with Detroit? Did the player want to go to Detroit? Did they contact Ken Holland? Did Ken Holland know they were available?

They weren't going to get rid of Woolley or Lebda, so we weren't getting a SIXTH defensemen.

Cory Cross IS a 5th-6th D-man.

And would have cost the wings less and he would have actually provided something that the Wings need.

Yeah, a defensemen who's regularly out of position and takes dumb penalties. Hey, that does fill the void of Jiri Fischer circa 2003-2004!

Does anyone know his contract situation for sure? Does anyone know for sure how much cap room we have? Does anyone actually know what is going on?

I believe with only a quarter of the season remaining, we'd only have to add on a quarter of whatever salary we acquired to our cap. At least that's how I think it's supposed to work....

Yeah, a defensemen who's regularly out of position and takes dumb penalties. Hey, that does fill the void of Jiri Fischer circa 2003-2004!

Cross takes dumb penalties aswell. At least most of Simpsons penalties were fighting majors.

I just think it's funny that people are acting surprised. Maybe you guys need a nap, dream this year didn't have a cap, we'd have Witt and Tkachuk right now.

Cross takes dumb penalties aswell. At least most of Simpsons penalties were fighting majors.

Great, I didn't even want Cross.

Would've been better if Holland didn't make a move at all, but then people would have their panties in a bunch about that too.

Out of all the defensmen that have been dealt freaking Cory Cross. This is horsesh*t, complete and total horsesh*t.

Oh come on.

Who here thinks the Wings would DEFINITELY have won the Cup with Todd Simpson and are now SCREWED because they have Cory Cross instead? Raise your hands.

Great, I didn't even want Cross.

Would've been better if Holland didn't make a move at all, but then people would have their panties in a bunch about that too.

I agree, we would still be a 4th round draft pick richer.

Oh come on.

Who here thinks the Wings would DEFINITELY have won the Cup with Todd Simpson and are now SCREWED because they have Cory Cross instead? Raise your hands.

Ha I didn't want Simpson...screw that. And I definetly don't want some 36 year old D man that takes dumb PIM. 15-18 other Dmen I would much rather have here.

I just think it's funny that people are acting surprised.  Maybe you guys need a nap, dream this year didn't have a cap, we'd have Witt and Tkachuk right now.

Who the hell wanted fat boy, famous sulker, boo-hoo, whiner Tkachuk?

My problem with Cross is there were other guys available that are a helluva lot better than him.

And if there's no point in arguing over a guy who "ain't gonna play" why'd we pick him up.

Yeh, uhh, ok, Holland's thinking well Cross ain't ever gonna play so who cares, lets get him. blink.gif

Again what are you people talking about?

Looking for depth, and all we come away with is Cory Cross.

It seems to me Holland always grabs someone, everyone is like .. "HUH?"

Simpson went to Montreal for a sixth rounder. Hello?

And a change of scenery, and being in that locker room .. yeh he's gonna act like an ass and take penalty after penalty??? Stupid, stupid, stupid!

I doubt it.

And if so, he'll be glued to the bench. PERIOD!

At least we grab a guy CHEAP ... who might bring something to the table we need. TOUGHNESS!

Not a slow, over the hill, d-men.

I've seen this dude play in Toronto. thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif

Edited by motorcitykid

WRONG.

Cross > Simpson (in our system)

Cross > Brown (in our system)

Cross > McCarthy (in our system)

Cross > Rivers (in our system)

Cross > Richardson (in our system)

Pure speculation and assumption.

Pound for pound, with the exception or Rivers and Richardson with the way hes been playing this season, those guys are ALL better than Cross. But I wouldnt want Rivers back anyways and Id probably take Richardson over Cross just because he has actually proved he can play a decent game whereas Cross....

Oh come on.

Nobody is saying that, all i am saying is that this guy brings nothing to the table that benefits the Wings where as Simpson would have atleast provided some toughness for the playoffs and he would have been CHEAPER. You can't seriously be happy with trading a 4th round pick for a guy who couldn't get a game for the worst team in the league.

Oh come on.

Who here thinks the Wings would DEFINITELY have won the Cup with Todd Simpson and are now SCREWED because they have Cory Cross instead?  Raise your hands.

Nobody is saying that, all i am saying is that this guy brings nothing to the table that benefits the Wings where as Simpson would have atleast provided some toughness for the playoffs and he would have been CHEAPER. You can't seriously be happy with trading a 4th round pick for a guy who couldn't get a game for the worst team in the league.

Yes I can. Jiri Slegr wasn't getting any roll with Atlanta when we acquired him and he proved to be perfectly useful down the stretch - and Atlanta was the absolute dregs of the league at the time.