• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nate_327

Next Captain

Rate this topic

When ever it is Steve Yzerman decides to retire, who should be next to take on the role as Captain?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If going with a veteran I'd say Draper, but I think it's going to be Zetts...

yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Zetterberg, but I did read in a magazine that Draper was under some consideration for the role.

Shanahan. Lidstrom has the personality of an unusually dull rock. He's a great player, but I would want someone a little more fiery to wear the C, someone with the ability to lead by example AND the ability to take charge in the locker room and isn't afraid to shake things up if he has to. Shanahan is that guy, he should be captain the next 2-3 years until he retires, then the new generation can take over.

“He’s got the potential to do that. He has got all the talent. He has got the heart and determination as well.�

-Future Hall of Fame Defenseman Niklas Lidstrom (on Henrik Zetterberg's potential to be captain of the Redwings after Steve Yzerman retires) April 2004

"The best story about Zetterberg is Nick Lidstrom brought him in to see a friend of mine in the car business and he told him, 'I want you to meet the next Steve Yzerman.' That was in September, after training camp, before he'd played a game. Pretty good scout, that Nick Lidstrom!"

-Legendary Redwings Head Coach and advisor Scotty Bowman, November 2003

"Obviously, he's a guy that we're going to build around going forward. I mean, he's a complete player. He's got great hands, great instincts, he's great in traffic and he really sees the ice well. And he's a good person. He's really grounded. He comes to the rink everyday, he works hard..."

-Detroit Redwings General Manager Ken Holland, November 2003

'nuff said

quotes from zetterbergfan.com

It's a damn close call. I'm gonna guess Lidstrom for now, but I won't be surprised if Shanahan gets the C. Zetterberg would be excellent as well, but I think he needs another year or two to finish maturing.

Shanahan. Lidstrom has the personality of an unusually dull rock. He's a great player, but I would want someone a little more fiery to wear the C, someone with the ability to lead by example AND the ability to take charge in the locker room and isn't afraid to shake things up if he has to. Shanahan is that guy, he should be captain the next 2-3 years until he retires, then the new generation can take over.

thumbup.gif

Shanahan. Lidstrom has the personality of an unusually dull rock. He's a great player, but I would want someone a little more fiery to wear the C, someone with the ability to lead by example AND the ability to take charge in the locker room and isn't afraid to shake things up if he has to. Shanahan is that guy, he should be captain the next 2-3 years until he retires, then the new generation can take over

Agreed^^^

I think Zetterberg should be the next captain, he`s the future of the organisation. When Yzerman was named captain, he wasn`t the oldest or most experienced on the team, but he was the future and that`s why they named him captain. The same should be done with Zetterberg. The vets will be there for him and help him grow into the role.

I think Zetterberg should be the next captain, he`s the future of the organisation. When Yzerman was named captain, he wasn`t the oldest or most experienced on the team, but he was the future and that`s why they named him captain. The same should be done with Zetterberg. The vets will be there for him and help him grow into the role.

when yzerman was named captain he was the ONLY good player on the team

when yzerman was named captain he was the ONLY good player on the team

I didn`t check it, but I think Ogrodnick had pretty much the same amount of points (if not better) as Yzerman in the seasons prior to naming Yzerman as captain. And I think Gallant had started to play quite well too.

IMO a captain should be one of the best players, but not necessarily the best.

I didn`t check it, but I think Ogrodnick had pretty much the same amount of points (if not better) as Yzerman in the seasons prior to naming Yzerman as captain. And I think Gallant had started to play quite well too.

IMO a captain should be one of the best players, but not necessarily the best.

ya but those numbers where still bad

yzerman the only TRUELY gifted wing at the time