• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingfanatic4alltime

Jimmy Howard

Rate this topic

From here:

Smashing Debut: Goaltender Jimmy Howard continues a marvelous rookie season, entering the week with a four-game winning streak and a sparkling 17-4-2 record. He has led the team to points in 15 of his last 16 decisions (13-1-1-1), and his 17 wins tie the Griffins’ rookie record set by Mathieu Chouinard (17-7-1) in 2000-01.

He won his 18th game last night. Joey MacDonald was pulled after the Admirals went up 3-0. Jimmy stopped all 13 shots he faced and the Griffins won 5-3.

I'd say he's getting better with every game. Getting used to the longer schedule and the pace is the biggest thing for him. He has all the potential in the world, he just needs to hone his game to match the level he's at and gain confidence and he'll be good. He's only 22 right now so he's got plenty of time.

I don't think we will see him in Detroit next season unless it's for a couple of emergency starts like he had this season. Jimmy could see some action come AHL playoff time this season but the Griffins will likely go with Joey MadDonald as their outright starter. Either MacDonald comes up as the back up in Detroit next season or gets traded away. Though the Wings organization has a logjam in goal at the AHL and ECHL level, the only guy with any real potential of being the starter with the big club is Jimmy Howard. Howard will likely take over as starter for the Griffins full time next season and we may see him eased into the lineup with the big club from the 2007-'08 season.

This how I'd like to see Detroit's situation pan out in the next couple seasons:

2006-07: Resign Legace for another season, sign Liv to backup Legace

2007-08: Bring up Howard to battle Liv for #1 duty

Howard can only benefit from another year in Grand Rapids and Liv has experience playing in the SEL.

Just my opinion.

This how I'd like to see Detroit's situation pan out in the next couple seasons:

2006-07: Resign Legace for another season, sign Liv to backup Legace

2007-08: Bring up Howard to battle Liv for #1 duty

Howard can only benefit from another year in Grand Rapids and Liv has experience playing in the SEL.

Just my opinion.

I like that idea biggrin.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif .

If we don't sign Liv this summer we lose his rights, and I wouldn't be too surprised if the Wings just let him go. He'll probably be signed and brought over to play in the AHL. He has had a very inconsistent time in the SEL. At times he's marvelous and at times he's pathetic. We'll see what happens over the summer.

Liv has played very well this season. Last year he was hung out to dry the whole season because the SEL was loaded with NHL talent and the team he played for didn't bring much if at all any NHL talent to help out.I think the Wings will bring him over and let him back up Manny, if not atleast put him with the Griffins.The Wings can figure out what to do with McDonald down the road.He's the one they should move. Hell I wouldn't be opposed to letting Legace and Osgood walk after the season.Manny will want a pay raise and Osgood just needs to leave Detroit.

I think Howard will be the Griffs #1 Goalie come playoff time.

If we don't sign Liv this summer we lose his rights, and I wouldn't be too surprised if the Wings just let him go. He'll probably be signed and brought over to play in the AHL. He has had a very inconsistent time in the SEL. At times he's marvelous and at times he's pathetic. We'll see what happens over the summer.

Liv won't cost alot to sign. They have to sign McGrath also.

I have been saying it for a couple years now..Liv will be the backup come the 06-07 season.

Legace will have to do really well in the postseason AND reject any open market offers (Such as Toronto 5m per year) for him to return.

Osgood's return is highly likely. With Howard in the system, Liv is not an absolute need to have around. He will still be signed, but it's not nearly as much of a loss if Liv goes on waivers as it would have been if the Wings didn't have Howard.

And with Legace's return questionable, and very few starter-caliber goaltenders available on ther market, Osgood becomes the most likely veteran in Detroit next season because he's a solid tender who won't cost much and won't ***** about not playing if he is the backup but has shown that he can play in a starter role and do very well. That and he is probably the most well-suited "mentor" type available, and we'll either have to go for someone like that or for a younger starter goalie and just hope either Howard pans out when we need him or the guy we pick up stays around and plays well for a while.

Howard took over for MacDonald again last night and shut the door as the Griffins came from behind to beat the Barons 3-2. He's playing with a lot of confidence right now, which is great for him.

You do relize Jimmy was put cause Mac was injuryed?

You do relize Jimmy was put cause Mac was injuryed?

You do realize it doesn't change the fact that he "took over" for him, right? Whether Joey was pulled or injured, Jimmy stepped in and took over the game and helped the Griffins win.

peace

I have been saying it for a couple years now..Liv will be the backup come the 06-07 season.

Legace will have to do really well in the postseason AND reject any open market offers (Such as Toronto 5m per year) for him to return.

Osgood's return is highly likely. With Howard in the system, Liv is not an absolute need to have around. He will still be signed, but it's not nearly as much of a loss if Liv goes on waivers as it would have been if the Wings didn't have Howard.

And with Legace's return questionable, and very few starter-caliber goaltenders available on ther market, Osgood becomes the most likely veteran in Detroit next season because he's a solid tender who won't cost much and won't ***** about not playing if he is the backup but has shown that he can play in a starter role and do very well. That and he is probably the most well-suited "mentor" type available, and we'll either have to go for someone like that or for a younger starter goalie and just hope either Howard pans out when we need him or the guy we pick up stays around and plays well for a while.

I'd be shocked if Osgood is back.

I'd be shocked if Osgood is back.

It'll be a matter of economics. Tim Thomas just signed a three year deal at $1M+/yr with the Bruins. He's 32 and has 28 career NHL games to his credit. Manny Fernandez signed a three year deal at $4M+/yr. Legace has never had a big money contract and this season is his 1st chance to cash in. He'll price himself out of Detroit's plans.

Holland will not go through a season without a veteran. He likes Osgood. Osgood likes Detroit. Osgood is more than capable as a starter. And there will be no better and/or cheaper options out on the market.

peace

It'll be a matter of economics.  Tim Thomas just signed a three year deal at $1M+/yr with the Bruins.  He's 32 and has 28 career NHL games to his credit.  Manny Fernandez signed a three year deal at $4M+/yr.  Legace has never had a big money contract and this season is his 1st chance to cash in.  He'll price himself out of Detroit's plans.

Holland will not go through a season without a veteran.  He likes Osgood.  Osgood likes Detroit.  Osgood is more than capable as a starter.  And there will be no better and/or cheaper options out on the market.

peace

The only way Legace can price himself out of Detroit's plans is by having a strong playoff run. I don't see anyone offering him $4M/season. Detroit cannot offer him big raises or a salary any bigger than $2-$2.5M/season.

Regardless, it is his choice on where he wants to sign and how much he wants to sign for. I think he'll be back, and if so, Osgood's done, but if not, the Wings will retain Osgood. Holland's not calling all the shots on goaltending either so his personal preference can only come into play so much. Depends really.

In any case, I think either MacDonald or Liv will be up here next season and one of Osgood and Legace will be gone. Time to slowly start making room for Howard.

The only way Legace can price himself out of Detroit's plans is by having a strong playoff run. I don't see anyone offering him $4M/season. Detroit cannot offer him big raises or a salary any bigger than $2-$2.5M/season.

Regardless, it is his choice on where he wants to sign and how much he wants to sign for. I think he'll be back, and if so, Osgood's done, but if not, the Wings will retain Osgood. Holland's not calling all the shots on goaltending either so his personal preference can only come into play so much. Depends really.

In any case, I think either MacDonald or Liv will be up here next season and one of Osgood and Legace will be gone. Time to slowly start making room for Howard.

What has Fernandez done that Legace hasn't to warrant $4M+? If Manny hits the market he'll be, by far, the most sought after commodity. And this is before the playoffs have even begun. If Manny goes far, we can't afford him. If he can't go far, do we want him?

I realize it's Manny's choice, but his decision between now and July 1st can set him up for life. He's been a career backup and he now has the opportunity to cash in on that long journey to starter status. I wouldn't blame him one bit to try and find security somewhere else (I'm sure he hasn't been too fond of always being behind or now looking over his shoulder in Detroit). Manny will command at least twice as much money as Osgood, but he isn't twice the goalie.

And one more issue with regards to making room for Jimmy and likely bringing in Joey and Liv. Do you want a career backup in the room with them or a career starter? Even with Legace supplanting Osgood as the starter, Ozzy has more to teach up and comers than Legace (considering Manny is still learning the ropes as a starter himself).

There's a lot for everyone involved to consider.

peace

What has Fernandez done that Legace hasn't to warrant $4M+?  If Manny hits the market he'll be, by far, the most sought after commodity. And this is before the playoffs have even begun.  If Manny goes far, we can't afford him.  If he can't go far, do we want him?

I realize it's Manny's choice, but his decision between now and July 1st can set him up for life.  He's been a career backup and he now has the opportunity to cash in on that long journey to starter status.  I wouldn't blame him one bit to try and find security somewhere else (I'm sure he hasn't been too fond of always being behind or now looking over his shoulder in Detroit).  Manny will command at least twice as much money as Osgood, but he isn't twice the goalie.

And one more issue with regards to making room for Jimmy and likely bringing in Joey and Liv.  Do you want a career backup in the room with them or a career starter?  Even with Legace supplanting Osgood as the starter, Ozzy has more to teach up and comers than Legace (considering Manny is still learning the ropes as a starter himself). 

There's a lot for everyone involved to consider.

peace

Well him and Roloson did take the Wild to the WCF a couple of seasons ago. And Fernandez is generally regarded as the more capable of them two. In the best goalie poll conducted by The Hockey News among NHL players, Fernandez got a vote or two, not Legace.

I know what you're saying. Manny can go far and we can still afford him if he wants us to. He may not be twice the goalie Osgood is but he is capable and you get paid based on how you perform and he has performed well this season. I won't hold it against him if he tries to cash in elsewhere, like you said, he hasn't really lived the "good life." Also, after this season and a good playoff run included, Legace can't be called a career backup anymore. He's got skills and experience, even if it comes as a backup, and teach something.

I don't know, all we're doing is speculating, we'll just have to see how it goes.

Liv and HV-71 advance to teh 2nd round of the playoffs. Liv will be here next year...book it.

Hope he signs with us and his Tre Kronor buddies (he can just dilly-dally til July and become UFA if he were so inclined). He's already committed to coming over to play in either the NHL/AHL a month or two ago.

peace

With the way Howard is playing it is hard to tell that he is a rookie, he looks far more experienced than a guy just out of college. His positioning and his calmness is what really impresses me, he moves so well across the crease and nothing seems to phase him.

Edited by Hatcher#2