• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
German Red Wing

MLB Season 2006 thread

Rate this topic

Game full of cheaters that I no longer consider a sport.

I hear the Angels are looking damn good this year

No longer a sport?? Thats taking it to the extreme isnt it?

I dont have any picks yet, gotta take a once over on all the rosters when the season starts. Im expecting the Tigers to be over .500 though, maybe only by 4 or 5 games but it'll happen. I see it as being like around 5 years ago or so where they flirted with the wildcard late in the year and then fell off. This team definitely has promise though, Im most interested in the rotation.

No question the lineup has talent, but what I dont like is it just seems to be a bunch of similar hitters, like it just doesnt have the team chemistry that variety would provide. I think Granderson is gonna be the key. He needs to continue to show enough power so he can be put eventually in the 3 spot. Thats where he needs to be for this team to be successful. My ideal batting order would be:

1)Polanco -no he doesnt have the speed but he knows how to hit leadoff)

2)Guillen - you could flip flop him with Polanco, but i prefer him at 2

3)Granderson - Is it too early? Only one way to find out. We need an athletic power hitting lefty to be in the heart of the lineup to mix things up

4)Ordonez- just stay healthy damnit..

5)Shelton- will drive in whatever Maggs doesnt

6)Young - because he can hit lefty..

7)Pudge- any lower and he'd probably start bitching..

8)Monroe

9)Inge

Game full of cheaters that I no longer consider a sport.

I hear the Angels are looking damn good this year

No longer a sport?? Thats taking it to the extreme isnt it?

I dont have any picks yet, gotta take a once over on all the rosters when the season starts. Im expecting the Tigers to be over .500 though, maybe only by 4 or 5 games but it'll happen. I see it as being like around 5 years ago or so where they flirted with the wildcard late in the year and then fell off. This team definitely has promise though, Im most interested in the rotation.

No question the lineup has talent, but what I dont like is it just seems to be a bunch of similar hitters, like it just doesnt have the team chemistry that variety would provide. I think Granderson is gonna be the key. He needs to continue to show enough power so he can be put eventually in the 3 spot. Thats where he needs to be for this team to be successful. My ideal batting order would be:

1)Polanco -no he doesnt have the speed but he knows how to hit leadoff)

2)Guillen - you could flip flop him with Polanco, but i prefer him at 2

3)Granderson - Is it too early? Only one way to find out. We need an athletic power hitting lefty to be in the heart of the lineup to mix things up

4)Ordonez- just stay healthy damnit..

5)Shelton- will drive in whatever Maggs doesnt

6)Young - because he can hit lefty..

7)Pudge- any lower and he'd probably start bitching..

8)Monroe

9)Inge

while the hitters are important, I think this year, pitching will be key. This is bonderman's year to prove that he can be an ace. It will be interesting to see if Verlander can pitch this year. I think this is the first year I like the tigers pitching staff in a long time. Which is why this is the year they finally get over .500.

I keep getting the vibe that Verlander is gonna have a serious arm injury...its like having him, Bonderman, and Zumaya is too good to be true! Something bad always happens. Im most interested in the rotation myself, always have had a love for good pitching.

Staff predictions:

Rogers 14-8 4.10 ERA

Bonderman 17-9 3.47 ERA

Robertson 10-13 4.53 ERA

Maroth 6-7 4.50 ERA (traded by deadline)

Verlander 11-12 4.66 ERA

Zumaya 2-4 5.20 ERA (only counting starts)

ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod OPENING DAY!!! Got my Extra Innings all set to go! Tigers are on! One of the very best days of the whole sports year, Opening Day.

Gotta be honest: nothing in the sports world, and very little outside of it, would make me happier than if the Tigers were to win the World Series.

I keep getting the vibe that Verlander is gonna have a serious arm injury...its like having him, Bonderman, and Zumaya is too good to be true! Something bad always happens. Im most interested in the rotation myself, always have had a love for good pitching.

Staff predictions:

Rogers 14-8 4.10 ERA

Bonderman 17-9 3.47 ERA

Robertson 10-13 4.53 ERA

Maroth 6-7 4.50 ERA (traded by deadline)

Verlander 11-12 4.66 ERA

Zumaya 2-4 5.20 ERA (only counting starts)

i am the same way. I almost want to say what is the catch when it comes to this pitching staff. it has a tremendous amount of potentional.

ohhhhhhhh I think I just creamed my pants watching Zumaya pitch the 7th inning. first time I've seen him pitch. a liiiiiiiittle rough, he put some runners on, but for the most part, he was just blowing that baseball by the hitters. 97-99 on the gun for the fastball, and then brought the breaking ball down to 79 and FROZE the batter. nasty stuff. just nasty. I mean sick nasty. a wee bit nervous, I think, but if he improves the command just a touch, he will dominate. and if he can add a changeup to his repertoire at some point, he'll be lights out in the 9th inning for 15 years.

lemme go clean up my shorts. this won't be easy, as I have been watching Chris Shelton hit a pair and Guillen just bombed one to center. is Opening Day the s##t or what?

ohhhhhhhh I think I just creamed my pants watching Zumaya pitch the 7th inning.  first time I've seen him pitch.  a liiiiiiiittle rough, he put some runners on, but for the most part, he was just blowing that baseball by the hitters.  97-99 on the gun for the fastball, and then brought the breaking ball down to 79 and FROZE the batter.  nasty stuff.  just nasty.  I mean sick nasty.  a wee bit nervous, I think, but if he improves the command just a touch, he will dominate.  and if he can add a changeup to his repertoire at some point, he'll be lights out in the 9th inning for 15 years.

lemme go clean up my shorts.  this won't be easy, as I have been watching Chris Shelton hit a pair and Guillen just bombed one to center.  is Opening Day the s##t or what?

this is a great game. I was excitied to see Zumaya pitch too. I thought by his high fastball that great...another Matt Anderson. But if Zumaya can keep his control, he can be a solid pitcher. Ohhhhh..Zumaya still left in there for the 8th. This should be interesting.

Great game by Chris Shelton, Guillen...awesome pitching by the Gambler.

Nasty strikeout by Zumaya.

Edited by timothy1997

Hmmm...I know this way to early to be saying this, but now im kinda on board with all the so called experts who think Zumaya is better suited for the pen. He's got that intimidating reliever look going on. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do later in the year. I love what the Tigers are doing though, now bringing up Tata. Its all about talent now, and not age. If Tata is better than everyone at Toledo, use him up here! Who cares how much experience he has.

Good win, Maggs looked awful though...some really s***ty swings. Oh well win is a win.

Hmmm...I know this way to early to be saying this, but now im kinda on board with all the so called experts who think Zumaya is better suited for the pen. He's got that intimidating reliever look going on. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do later in the year. I love what the Tigers are doing though, now bringing up Tata. Its all about talent now, and not age. If Tata is better than everyone at Toledo, use him up here! Who cares how much experience he has.

Good win, Maggs looked awful though...some really s***ty swings. Oh well win is a win.

Supposedly it would have been Colon they called up, but he has "tender biceps" according to what I read in the news, and so it will be Tata instead.

And yeah, Maggs looked like he hadn't swung a bat for months. Opening Day jitters, I'm hoping.....yeah, he's a veteran, but I think (I hope) he feels like he has to prove himself healthy this year.

Besides, Shelton took a breaking ball deep to left and a fastball out to right. That was no hanging curve, either, I watched that pitch and it had as much of an arc as you could ask for in a curve. I can't wait to watch him hit all season long. Taking two different pitches deep, from two different pitchers and to both fields says a lot about his hitting skills. The Pirates must be just kicking themselves, especially after watching him on that lovely 3-6-3.

I like Rod Allen's really bold prediction about Shelton..."I think he can definitely hit anywhere between 20 and 25 HRs"...DUHHHH ya think so Rod? He only hit 18 last season in limited ABs.

ohhhhhhhh I think I just creamed my pants watching Zumaya pitch the 7th inning. first time I've seen him pitch. a liiiiiiiittle rough, he put some runners on, but for the most part, he was just blowing that baseball by the hitters. 97-99 on the gun for the fastball, and then brought the breaking ball down to 79 and FROZE the batter. nasty stuff. just nasty. I mean sick nasty. a wee bit nervous, I think, but if he improves the command just a touch, he will dominate. and if he can add a changeup to his repertoire at some point, he'll be lights out in the 9th inning for 15 years.

lemme go clean up my shorts. this won't be easy, as I have been watching Chris Shelton hit a pair and Guillen just bombed one to center. is Opening Day the s##t or what?

I have already developed a man crush on Joel Zumaya. Just imagine him when he has a few years experience under his belt.

Is anyone else going to the home opener in Detroit next Monday? I'll be there.

And I have to echo betterred, I honestly can't think of something that could happen in the world of sports that would make me happier than seeing the Tigers win the World Series. I was only four years old in 1984, so I don't remember the Tigers winning the World Series. I remember that my mom bought me a pennant though when they won.

ohhhhhhhh I think I just creamed my pants watching Zumaya pitch the 7th inning.  first time I've seen him pitch.  a liiiiiiiittle rough, he put some runners on, but for the most part, he was just blowing that baseball by the hitters.  97-99 on the gun for the fastball, and then brought the breaking ball down to 79 and FROZE the batter.  nasty stuff.  just nasty.  I mean sick nasty.  a wee bit nervous, I think, but if he improves the command just a touch, he will dominate.  and if he can add a changeup to his repertoire at some point, he'll be lights out in the 9th inning for 15 years.

lemme go clean up my shorts.  this won't be easy, as I have been watching Chris Shelton hit a pair and Guillen just bombed one to center.  is Opening Day the s##t or what?

I have already developed a man crush on Joel Zumaya. Just imagine him when he has a few years experience under his belt.

And I have to echo betterred, I honestly can't think of something that could happen in the world of sports that would make me happier than seeing the Tigers win the World Series. I was only four years old in 1984, so I don't remember the Tigers winning the World Series. I remember that my mom bought me a pennant though when they won.

i was 5 when they won it in 1984. I had the tigers pennant to. Detroit is a baseball town and the city would go nuts if the Tigers even made the postseason.

I wish I was there next monday, but instead, i will be comfy in my armchair watching the game on tv.

i was 5 when they won it in 1984. I had the tigers pennant to. Detroit is a baseball town and the city would go nuts if the Tigers even made the postseason.

That's for sure. Detroit, and the rest of the state is just waiting for the Tigers to do good again. I went to the Cup parade in 2002, but there is no doubt in my mind, that if the Tigers won the World Series, the size of the Tigers parade would just be amazing.

As a random note, I'm cleaning out my room at home since I'm moving, I found a 1968 Tigers pennant my uncle gave me a long time ago. It's pretty sweet smile.gif

That's for sure. Detroit, and the rest of the state is just waiting for the Tigers to do good again. I went to the Cup parade in 2002, but there is no doubt in my mind, that if the Tigers won the World Series, the size of the Tigers parade would just be amazing.

As a random note, I'm cleaning out my room at home since I'm moving, I found a 1968 Tigers pennant my uncle gave me a long time ago. It's pretty sweet smile.gif

i had tigers posters. I still have a Kirk Gibson and a trammell/whitaker tandum poster. Oh and a Cecil Fielder one.

I wish I was there next monday, but instead, i will be comfy in my armchair watching the game on tv.

mancrush is pretty much the word I had in mind too. I started giggling like a schoolgirl when I saw the radar gun say 99, and nearly lost control of my bodily faculties watching that curveball that struck out Emil Brown. and just think: Verlander is supposed to be a better prospect than Zumaya. drool.

and now Pudge goes 5-for-5. Five homers - Inge, Pudge, Granderson, Thames, Guillen. Maggs is the only one who hasn't contributed to the offense. I know I should be careful, seein's'how it was the Royals and not exactly the Yankees, but damn, did those first two games get me excited for the season.

now, am I the only one who thinks Jimmy Rollins' "38-game hitting streak" is bogus? I won't acknowledge his hitting streak record as the real one, if indeed he does make it past 56 to beat DiMaggio. You have to do it all in one season, otherwise it's not fair, the pressure comes off midway and it doesn't count.

PS: I have that '84 pennant too, even though I was only 2 when they won it.

I can't wait to see Verlander pitch. I didn't like how in his two starts last year with the Tigers, he had Vance Wilson catching him. Why not have one of the best catchers ever in Pudge handle a rookie? Although I think one of the times Pudge was hurt.

As far as Rollin's hitting streak, I think its actually tougher to start up again. True, you are rested, but at the same time you're not in a zone. If he does break the record, and I don't think he will, he should get a seperate one. Longest streak over two seasons.