• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Muse

It's time for a change

Rate this topic

I went to the game last night vs. Chicago, and I saw a lot of really cool Blackhawks jerseys being worn at the game. Old ones, newer ones, etc. I also noticed a lot of the white winged wheel Wings jerseys, and a few of the red ones being worn, too. I also saw one guy with one old-style jersey.

It got me thinking.

I think the Red Wings should change their jerseys.

Before you fly off the handle at this suggestion, let me give you a few good reasons.

1. It's a great marketing move to sell more merchandise and make more money for Ilitch. He needs to build a new arena, his businesses are expanding, and he could use a lot more cash. If they sell it, the Red Wings fans will buy it.

2. Yzerman is probably going to retire at the end of this season. If they unveil a new jersey now (and Stevie's name is on it), it will sell a LOT. This would be the perfect time to unveil a new style of jersey - shortly before the playoffs when your most famous player is most likely going to retire at the end of the season. I believe Yzerman's jersey is the most sold in the NHL, perhaps in all sports. So, now is the time do do this. Like I said in #1, it's a brilliant way to sell a lot of merchandise.

3. The Winged Wheel is so old. When is the last time the jersey was redesigned? (NN, I'm sure you know, resident stat boy!) And honestly, so many people who aren't wings fans often ask me "what the heck is that logo anyway". I explain it's a winged wheel, and they think it seems kinda dumb.

4. Tying into #3, the winged wheel represents older Detroit - the motor city, when we were the headquarters of car manufacturing for the world. Detroit needs a new image, and has been moving toward a more diversified business climate than just "the big three". Getting rid of the winged wheel with something more modern that reflects Detroit would be great.

I could give a few more reasons, but I think this gets the idea across.

So, what do you think?

EDIT: Happy April Fool's Day!

Enjoy this thread. The joke was revealed a few pages later...

Edited by Muse

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

No one would have the Tigers stop using the Olde English D, or the Yankees to stop with the pinstripes, or the Lions to stop losing. OK, I guess we could ask the Lions to break tradition wink.gif

Edited by BlakChamber

The winged wheel IS the red wings. changing that would be like changing the Chevy logo.... it is the defining aspect and a widely recognized symbol that is liked with detroit and more recently.... winning. The wheel should not be changed. Adding a black alternate jersey would be fine, but dont mess with the winged wheel.

Original teams can't change their logo. It's like the unwritten law, or maybe it is written. However, I wouldn't mind a second logo like the Rangers and Bruins have where the original logo still exists.

I see your point, but I graciously disagree. The winged wheel is legendary. Especially being the great franchise that we are and all the success and the history with the Original 6 (need i go on?) I wouldn't change it. I don't even think an alternate jersey is a good idea.

But just out of pure morbid curiosity, what would your new jersey look like?

For the alternate jersey, I wouldn't mind something involving the Detroit skyline as the logo, with the original logo on the shoulders.

Edited by BeeRYCE

Dear Muse:

1) Are you a Business Administration or a Marketing major?

2) Have you ever heard of "tradition?"

3) Have you any awareness of "symbols" and their significance and effects on people?

4) Are you employed by any of Illitch's companies, particularly in the areas of finance?

5) Are you aware of the words "jinx," and/or "whammy," and what they represent to professional athletes?

6) Have you now understood the meaning of the fact that none of the previous posters agreed with you?

Repaint your room, buy some new posters and/or accoutrements, change your wardrobe and/or hairstyle, and stop wanting to mess with a good thing. From Samuel Johnson, 1759, the compiler of the first English-language dictionary: "Such is the state of life that none are happy but by the anticipation of change. The change itself is nothing: when we have made it the next wish is to change again."

It's not that bad of an idea. It's like when people (not naming names tongue.gif ) gave the BJs s**t for their name. "Blue Jackets? WTF?" "Red Wings?" Equally silly. As well as the Wild, Islanders, etc... Thankfully the new Mighty Duck owners wised up and are dropping the silly modifier.

I'm not a Detroiter (or a Michigander for that matter), is there any tie to the aviation industry in the area? Maybe ditch the "Red" and just go with Wings? Would be a perfect opportunity to ditch the 'old-timey' spoked wheel and take a more 21st century winged motif or something. Plus, whenever the 3rd jersey thread pops up the most requested change would be like those black practice jerseys. A sort of edgy black and silver (Stanley Cup tie-in anyone) jersey design would kick ass.

Anyone more artistically/digital imaging inclined wiling to try and conjure something up? Now that I'm thinking of it it would be cool to take a look at somethign down this line of thinking. Pretty please?

peace

It's not that bad of an idea. It's like when people (not naming names tongue.gif ) gave the BJs s**t for their name. "Blue Jackets? WTF?" "Red Wings?" Equally silly. As well as the Wild, Islanders, etc... Thankfully the new Mighty Duck owners wised up and are dropping the silly modifier.

I'm not a Detroiter (or a Michigander for that matter), is there any tie to the aviation industry in the area? Maybe ditch the "Red" and just go with Wings? Would be a perfect opportunity to ditch the 'old-timey' spoked wheel and take a more 21st century winged motif or something. Plus, whenever the 3rd jersey thread pops up the most requested change would be like those black practice jerseys. A sort of edgy black and silver (Stanley Cup tie-in anyone) jersey design would kick ass.

Anyone more artistically/digital imaging inclined wiling to try and conjure something up? Now that I'm thinking of it it would be cool to take a look at somethign down this line of thinking. Pretty please?

peace

Detroit Wings?

EWWW that sounds bad.

laugh.gif

You're in luck, NN, because I came up with a 3rd jersey

user posted image

Now, I know 3rd jerseys are coloured usually. It's easier to make with a white jersey especially when you're only using Paint. So picture it with the colours flipped around to either red or black.

Come on, we are a original six team. A third jersery might be cool, but you gotta keep the Wheel and The Joe...i mean come on!

Why do we have to keep the Joe? That is one of the worst hockey arenas i've ever been to. and its what only 24 years old? Sell it to Cobo and build a beauty.

The Joe, "the house that Stevie built"

New Arena " the house that Pavel and Hank built"

et tu NN?

The logo will never change, it's not old, it's classic.

I wouldn't mind seeing a alternate jersey, but don't change the main ones.

Could always make the old ones a retro/throw-back 3rd jersey (but use it with a bit more regularity than most 3rds are used)? And in that case we could even go WAY back to Howe-era jerseys that were slightly different than the ones now. I think the Habs have an older design that they use as 3rds but really isn't much different than what they have now. If you're going to use retro's as 3rds you may as well make meaningful changes in the current ones.

And then that wouldn't make any of the older jerseys out of date. Hell, retro jerseys of other teams are often big sellers because retro is cool. All current jersey owners would become hip and trendy without having to buy an old one or reproduction! tongue.gif

peace

et tu NN?

The logo will never change, it's not old, it's classic.

I wouldn't mind seeing a alternate jersey, but don't change the main ones.

Could always make the old ones a retro/throw-back 3rd jersey (but use it with a bit more regularity than most 3rds are used)? And in that case we could even go WAY back to Howe-era jerseys that were slightly different than the ones now. I think the Habs have an older design that they use as 3rds but really isn't much different than what they have now. If you're going to use retro's as 3rds you may as well make meaningful changes in the current ones.

And then that wouldn't make any of the older jerseys out of date. Hell, retro jerseys of other teams are often big sellers because retro is cool. All current jersey owners would become hip and trendy without having to buy an old one or reproduction! tongue.gif

peace

NN your sig is hilarious. Bout Lilja and the penalty minutes. laugh.gif

NN your sig is hilarious. Bout Lilja and the penalty minutes. laugh.gif

HA thanks. tongue.gif He's been getting on my nerves of late and someone on another forward pointed out a different player that was approaching that same milestone. So I put up a counter.

peace

Hey BeeRYCE,

Your jersey is really beautiful, and I salute your artistic creativity; but I think the "winged wheel" deserves prominence over the Detroit skyline.

Also, not because of your design BeeRYCE, I wonder why does everyone have a fascination with the color black? I think a team's colors should be the dominant colors in a jersey, exactly as BeeRYCE did. Someone wrote somewhere that black is a "masculine" color, Huh?! Would someone want to do a statistical analysis of NHL, NFL, and NCAA championship team's colors and give us the result? (and how few of them were black!) By the way, what's the purpose of a third jersey? One is a home jersey, one is an away jersey, is the third jersey for date night, or are athletes required to wear them as pajamas?

What fight is that in your avatar?