• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Muse

It's time for a change

Rate this topic

Guest Tunbo Batman

hmm, you have the perfect recipe for a "marketing gimmick", but we don't need that thank you.

As cool as it would be to see a sweet looking Wings jersey, I just don't want it to happen for the sake of having a little bit of tradition remaining in the game.

I mean, I know it's a new time and things are suppose to change, but it's like this isn't even the NHL anymore. I miss the good old days, late 80's... early 90's. These were the years I grew up watching hockey and it was just so fun and exciting. Looking back and comparing the games now... it's a totally different league, which may be good and bad.

Please though, for the love of God NHL... don't change the Red Wings jersey, EVER.

Hey BeeRYCE,

Your jersey is really beautiful, and I salute your artistic creativity; but I think the "winged wheel" deserves prominence over the Detroit skyline.

Also, not because of your design BeeRYCE, I wonder why does everyone have a fascination with the color black? I think a team's colors should be the dominant colors in a jersey, exactly as BeeRYCE did. Someone wrote somewhere that black is a "masculine" color, Huh?! Would someone want to do a statistical analysis of NHL, NFL, and NCAA championship team's colors and give us the result? (and how few of them were black!) By the way, what's the purpose of a third jersey? One is a home jersey, one is an away jersey, is the third jersey for date night, or are athletes required to wear them as pajamas?

What fight is that in your avatar?

Thanks for the feedback. While I was uploading the picture on to the net, I realized that instead of black, silver would probably be more intriguing.

The fight in my avatar is Billy Bob Thornton in Bad Santa beating up adolescents.

I make an effort to almost always be civil and polite on message boards, but this idea is seriously testing my resolve.

Their is only ONE reason to create a 3rd jersey, and that is for marketing and sales sake. The current logo and uniforms are traditional and represent the history and all that is great about this team. Like the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is NOTHING at all wrong with the current jerseys, and there is no reason at all to change them, other than for ownership to make a little more money. I just thank God that we appear to have owners who actually care about the team and it's storied history, instead of just looking at the team in terms of its ability to make them money.

So to summarise: DO NOT TOUCH THE WINGS JERSEYS! If you simply MUST f*ck around with something just for the sake of it, make some dumb-looking 3rd jersey and have the team wear it as little as possible.

Hey BeeRYCE,

Your jersey is really beautiful, and I salute your artistic creativity; but I think the "winged wheel" deserves prominence over the Detroit skyline.

Also, not because of your design BeeRYCE, I wonder why does everyone have a fascination with the color black? I think a team's colors should be the dominant colors in a jersey, exactly as BeeRYCE did. Someone wrote somewhere that black is a "masculine" color, Huh?! Would someone want to do a statistical analysis of NHL, NFL, and NCAA championship team's colors and give us the result? (and how few of them were black!) By the way, what's the purpose of a third jersey? One is a home jersey, one is an away jersey, is the third jersey for date night, or are athletes required to wear them as pajamas?

What fight is that in your avatar?

Thanks for the feedback. While I was uploading the picture on to the net, I realized that instead of black, silver would probably be more intriguing.

The fight in my avatar is Billy Bob Thornton in Bad Santa beating up adolescents.

Red (scarlet), Silver (gray), and white....for some reason I like that. As for changing the jerseys, I would have to go with a resounding NO. There's nothing wrong with the current ones and tradition needs to be kept in the game.

I think it's a horrible idea and couldn't disagree more strongly. I won't flame you, but I don't agree with a single one of your points.

First, Ilitch would not get most of the money from jersey sales. The league would. And he doesn't need to sell jerseys to make money. A new arena will be needed relatively soon, I agree, but saying they should sell jerseys to pay for it is like saying someone should have a yard sale to pay to go to med school. tongue.gif

Not to mention Ilitch has said repeatedly that the Wings will never have even a third jersey as long as he owns the team. So I'm certain he wouldn't fathom touching the regular jersey design.

Plus, I think about half of Wings' fans would be so furious if they changed the jersey dramatically that they would likely refuse to buy the new ones. I think the majority of the Wings' fan base loves the Winged Wheel and the tradition behind it. So what if it's old? It's classic. Some people don't know what the logo is? So what? What's a Red Wing? Why don't we just change the team name while we're at it? (edited to add, I posted this before reading NN's post... and ew, I really hope you weren't being serious? I just can't go along with throwing away 80+ years of history.). And Detroit is always going to be the Motor City, no matter what difficulties some of the companies are facing now. You suggested a new logo with "something more modern that reflects Detroit"... and just what would that be?

Edited by Grind Line 33

It's not that bad of an idea. It's like when people (not naming names tongue.gif ) gave the BJs s**t for their name. "Blue Jackets? WTF?" "Red Wings?" Equally silly. As well as the Wild, Islanders, etc... Thankfully the new Mighty Duck owners wised up and are dropping the silly modifier.

I'm not a Detroiter (or a Michigander for that matter), is there any tie to the aviation industry in the area? Maybe ditch the "Red" and just go with Wings? Would be a perfect opportunity to ditch the 'old-timey' spoked wheel and take a more 21st century winged motif or something. Plus, whenever the 3rd jersey thread pops up the most requested change would be like those black practice jerseys. A sort of edgy black and silver (Stanley Cup tie-in anyone) jersey design would kick ass.

Anyone more artistically/digital imaging inclined wiling to try and conjure something up? Now that I'm thinking of it it would be cool to take a look at somethign down this line of thinking. Pretty please?

peace

The "Wings" idea is pretty good, NN. We don't have a lot of tie to the air industry (unless you count Northwest Airlines), but it might be a cool idea to do something really different like that.

I love your idea of a color scheme/theme that would tie in with the Stanley CUp & the tradition of winning it.

The Detroit skyline or a sketch of the Renaissance Center isn't a bad idea, either. Hey, maybe GM would even contribute a little cash toward a new arena if Ilitch worked the Ren Cen into the logo. He needs a big financial backer to get a new stadium.

I'm not an artist, so I can't draw anything up. I bet someone on here would be able to put some good ideas to paper, though. Vladdy16, maybe?

When you look at some of the newer logos out there for the newer teams, they are pretty exciting. We need something more powerful.

The red & white colors need some dressing up with brighter colors.

I'm not talking about an alternate jersey, either. I think it should be the main, major new jersey. Otherwise, it won't sell as well.

cool.gif Hello boys and girls of Hockeydom:

Change the Wings jersey? First of all, let me applaud all those who have disagreed with that. For the right reasons, I might add. I'll never forget the year that the Dallas Stars unveiled their third jersey. Being a Texan, it even made ME laugh. A steer head? What a joke! But here's the thing-- if they would have unveiled it before they let Derian Hatcher go, from the sales of the jersey, they would have had the money to keep him. That's how much money they made off of it.

But it has been a dismal failure since then. I walked into a sports store the other day, and they had one on their wall--for $35. I didn't buy it. Plus, I really can't remember when the last time was when they wore the damn thing. they have made a tradition out of the original jerseys, as they should. For all those who have made tradition as the reason for not changing, that is absolutely the best reason for NOT changing. Personally, I wasn't in favor of changing the rules of the game much less the tradition. The sport of hockey, like baseball, has been built on tradition.

Let me ask you: why do you think the Leafs or Canadiens don't have a third jersey? The only change the Leafs made is the "TLM" on the shoulders. Otherwise, that's it. Would you change those? Those teams have been around longer than the Wings. Do you dare say, "Hey Canada, let's change those jerseys." I don't think so. As mentioned by previous posters, would you guys change the Olde English "D"? Nope! Tradition counts. Accordingly, with the exception of the Lions, the Red Wings and the Tigers have the only logos that really and truly represent Detroit. Let's leave well enough alone. Thanks guys.

Jay Rock OUT! cool.gif

I think the team should retain the name "Red Wings" but change everything that's red on the jersey to silver, and replace the Winged Wheel logo with a Stanley Cup. The Winged Wheel can be a shoulder patch or something. That way you've got the best of both worlds: the traditionalists are happy, because what could be a more traditional representation than good ol' Lord Stanley? The merchandise sellers would be happy, of course. And we'd finally be showing off what the rest of the league already knows: the Wings are the team most often identified with the Cup, so why not make it official?

Hey:

Sorry RED. But I think the Montreal Canadiens have more Stanley Cups than the Wings. I'm about 90% sure of that. So I don't think the Wings are more identified with the Cup. Besides, if the Wings used the Cup as a logo, couldn't everybody? I mean it's very generic and it's about hockey's Holy Grail, not meant for any specific team. Try again, pal. I'm gone!

Edited by Jay Rock Richards

4. Tying into #3, the winged wheel represents older Detroit - the motor city, when we were the headquarters of car manufacturing for the world. Detroit needs a new image, and has been moving toward a more diversified business climate than just "the big three". Getting rid of the winged wheel with something more modern that reflects Detroit would be great.

You're so right.

The auto industry? Yeah, I think my grandpa worked for them.

I've been noticing a lot of Coney Islands downtown when I go to games, plus Cheli's Chili. What do you think about changing the logo to a coney dog with chili spraying out one side. That way we could keep it sort of like the Wing logo.

Now, like Muse says, before you blast me, think about it.

betterREDthandead

I think the team should retain the name "Red Wings" but change everything that's red on the jersey to silver, and replace the Winged Wheel logo with a Stanley Cup. The Winged Wheel can be a shoulder patch or something. That way you've got the best of both worlds: the traditionalists are happy, because what could be a more traditional representation than good ol' Lord Stanley? The merchandise sellers would be happy, of course. And we'd finally be showing off what the rest of the league already knows: the Wings are the team most often identified with the Cup, so why not make it official?

Yeah, I'm sure Toronto would not take issue with that, seeing how we're the team "most often identified with the Cup."

I mean, come on, Detroit has 10 (TEN!) Cups to their name!!

And how many does lowly Toronto have?

11?

Oh...

...and Montreal has 23?

oh...

Let's change the logo anyway.

Yeah, I'm sure Toronto would not take issue with that, seeing how we're the team "most often identified with the Cup."

I mean, come on, Detroit has 10 (TEN!) Cups to their name!!

And how many does lowly Toronto have?

11?

Oh...

...and Montreal has 23?

oh...

Let's change the logo anyway.

do i smell a hint a sarcasm there??? lol laugh.gif

I'm not an artist, so I can't draw anything up. I bet someone on here would be able to put some good ideas to paper, though. Vladdy16, maybe?

When you look at some of the newer logos out there for the newer teams, they are pretty exciting. We need something more powerful.

I'm not talking about an alternate jersey, either. I think it should be the main, major new jersey. Otherwise, it won't sell as well.

I'm intrigued. I think an update might be just the thing. There's been so many changes lately, Wings should keep up with the times. There's been some good ideas kicked around. I'm tied up today, but I'll try and come up with some designs tomorrow. I like the idea of incorporating silver and black into it a la Stanley Cup. Montreal and Toronto may have more Cups, but not recently. Wings are definately more closely associated with Lord Stanley than any other team in the league right now, and that doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. I'll post what I come with.

Thanks, Muse!

I'd have to put some more thought into the original ideas made to start this thread, but it is intriguing.

It could definitely be time for a change. If you want to compare to past jerseys worn, maybe to a jersey similar to this one. What do ya think?

thumbup.gif / thumbdown.gif

user posted image

Great points indeed. But i'm totaly against the idea. I love the old school look and i'm pretty sure that we have on of the best selling jerseies in the NHL. Why would you mess with somthing that is working? I guess i might not oppose a 3rd jersey, i wouldn't be a fan of it nor would i purchase one. But if they are going to do anything thats what i would do.

Your all on crack. No way do you change the Wingedwheel. Its legendary. Its used by teams around the world. Its easily the best logo in sports. It links all wings past and present. Its the one thing all players throughout the ages have in common. Changing it would be sacrilege. And even harboring such thoughts is blasphemy.

I'm intrigued. I think an update might be just the thing. There's been so many changes lately, Wings should keep up with the times. There's been some good ideas kicked around. I'm tied up today, but I'll try and come up with some designs tomorrow. I like the idea of incorporating silver and black into it a la Stanley Cup. Montreal and Toronto may have more Cups, but not recently. Wings are definately more closely associated with Lord Stanley than any other team in the league right now, and that doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. I'll post what I come with.

Thanks, Muse!

The only thing about silver, black, red, blue is that most teams have these colors. It's so Canada & USA. We need something added that's really vibrant. Maybe add a bit of purple, or orange, or teal or lime green... I dunno, come up with something really unique that will get people's attention.

I wonder what Stevie Y's favorite color is. Does anyone know? Now that would be an excellent way to make this work. If he loves say, lemon yellow, you mix that in for the new Wings first jersey.

absolutely not.

no

no

no

no

no

NO

sorry can't do it. I love the wings because of the importance of tradition and the "old days" within the franchise. You can't just go and change everything. Absolutely not. Changing the colors just wouldn't make sense. I guess you could go ahead and make a 3rd jersey, but they sure better not wear it every other night. I don't want to see a third jersey. They just released the new practice jerseys which are kind of sweet, make people go buy those. DON"T MESS WITH THE GAME JERSEYS!!!!

just my opinion...

Thanks, Muse!

The only thing about silver, black, red, blue is that most teams have these colors. It's so Canada & USA. We need something added that's really vibrant. Maybe add a bit of purple, or orange, or teal or lime green... I dunno, come up with something really unique that will get people's attention.

I wonder what Stevie Y's favorite color is. Does anyone know? Now that would be an excellent way to make this work. If he loves say, lemon yellow, you mix that in for the new Wings first jersey.

The failed experiment with the Pistons and teal still makes me want to wretch. Please stop this nonsense before some impressionable young kid thinks this is possible.