• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Muse

It's time for a change

Rate this topic

I think the team should retain the name "Red Wings" but change everything that's red on the jersey to silver, and replace the Winged Wheel logo with a Stanley Cup. The Winged Wheel can be a shoulder patch or something. That way you've got the best of both worlds: the traditionalists are happy, because what could be a more traditional representation than good ol' Lord Stanley? The merchandise sellers would be happy, of course. And we'd finally be showing off what the rest of the league already knows: the Wings are the team most often identified with the Cup, so why not make it official?

That's a pretty good idea you have there, BetterRED.

Now that I think more about it, I'm starting to wonder if the league would approve a jersey that has a drawing of Lord Stanley's cup on the front. Maybe there can be a logo on the front that somehow incorporates toughness/grit/determination/hard work, has a subtitle that says something like "the world's finest" or "a history of champions".

Then keep the winged wheel on the shoulder/arm (sorta like that goofy foot that is on the Avs jerseys, but ours will look cool!)

Keep brainstorming, people!

It's not that bad of an idea.  It's like when people (not naming names tongue.gif ) gave the BJs s**t for their name.  "Blue Jackets? WTF?"  "Red Wings?"  Equally silly.  As well as the Wild, Islanders, etc...  Thankfully the new Mighty Duck owners wised up and are dropping the silly modifier. 

I'm not a Detroiter (or a Michigander for that matter), is there any tie to the aviation industry in the area?  Maybe ditch the "Red" and just go with Wings?  Would be a perfect opportunity to ditch the 'old-timey' spoked wheel and take a more 21st century winged motif or something.  Plus, whenever the 3rd jersey thread pops up the most requested change would be like those black practice jerseys.  A sort of edgy black and silver (Stanley Cup tie-in anyone) jersey design would kick ass. 

Anyone more artistically/digital imaging inclined wiling to try and conjure something up?  Now that I'm thinking of it it would be cool to take a look at somethign down this line of thinking.  Pretty please?

peace

Detroit Wings?

EWWW that sounds bad.

laugh.gif

how about.........Detroit Mighty Wings???? wink.gif

user posted image

I think the Detroit uniforms could use an updated look. I think the Wings would look awesome with silver and black trim with Winged Wheel and the numbers.

I mean c'mon, the Wings needs to update their jerseys for the 21st century.

I went to the game last night vs. Chicago, and I saw a lot of really cool Blackhawks jerseys being worn at the game. Old ones, newer ones, etc. I also noticed a lot of the white winged wheel Wings jerseys, and a few of the red ones being worn, too. I also saw one guy with one old-style jersey.

It got me thinking.

I think the Red Wings should change their jerseys.

Before you fly off the handle at this suggestion, let me give you a few good reasons.

1. It's a great marketing move to sell more merchandise and make more money for Ilitch. He needs to build a new arena, his businesses are expanding, and he could use a lot more cash. If they sell it, the Red Wings fans will buy it.

2. Yzerman is probably going to retire at the end of this season. If they unveil a new jersey now (and Stevie's name is on it), it will sell a LOT. This would be the perfect time to unveil a new style of jersey - shortly before the playoffs when your most famous player is most likely going to retire at the end of the season. I believe Yzerman's jersey is the most sold in the NHL, perhaps in all sports. So, now is the time do do this. Like I said in #1, it's a brilliant way to sell a lot of merchandise.

3. The Winged Wheel is so old. When is the last time the jersey was redesigned? (NN, I'm sure you know, resident stat boy!) And honestly, so many people who aren't wings fans often ask me "what the heck is that logo anyway". I explain it's a winged wheel, and they think it seems kinda dumb.

4. Tying into #3, the winged wheel represents older Detroit - the motor city, when we were the headquarters of car manufacturing for the world. Detroit needs a new image, and has been moving toward a more diversified business climate than just "the big three". Getting rid of the winged wheel with something more modern that reflects Detroit would be great.

I could give a few more reasons, but I think this gets the idea across.

So, what do you think?

Sorry, I'm not sold. Two reasons:

-I don't really care how much money Illitch make.

-I also don't care about people thinking the Whinged Wheel is dumb.

Sometimes marketing is simply about protecting what you have and I happen to believe that the Red Wings is one of those cases. If Illitch needs to build a new arena I'm sure there are other ways to finance it.

Guest ontariowingsfan
Getting rid of the winged wheel with something more modern that reflects Detroit would be great.

Ya.. like a driveby shooting

I think it's a horrible horrible idea. The Winged Wheel is syonomous with Detroit hockey.

Wasn't the winged wheel voted best sports logo of all time last year??? In sports illustrated or something?? I can't remember.

betterREDthandead

I think the team should retain the name "Red Wings" but change everything that's red on the jersey to silver, and replace the Winged Wheel logo with a Stanley Cup. The Winged Wheel can be a shoulder patch or something. That way you've got the best of both worlds: the traditionalists are happy, because what could be a more traditional representation than good ol' Lord Stanley? The merchandise sellers would be happy, of course. And we'd finally be showing off what the rest of the league already knows: the Wings are the team most often identified with the Cup, so why not make it official?

Yeah, I'm sure Toronto would not take issue with that, seeing how we're the team "most often identified with the Cup."

I mean, come on, Detroit has 10 (TEN!) Cups to their name!!

And how many does lowly Toronto have?

11?

Oh...

...and Montreal has 23?

oh...

Let's change the logo anyway.

When's the last time Toronto or Montreal has won the Cup? It's been decades for Toronto. The Wings have won more in the past decade than any other team.

And Muse, I'm not worried about the league having some kind of trademark on the Cup. Remember, there was the notion that in the absence of the NHL during the lockout, the Cup should be awarded to someone else. Bright silver jerseys with the Cup emblazoned across the front, trademark the logo and let the league know who owns Stanley! And for a third jersey, put "HOCKEYTOWN" diagonally down the front the way the Rangers do. Perfect blend of tradition and 21st century style.

Wow. I don't even know where to start. Next we'll hear that it would be great idea for the Hawks to replace the Indian head with the Sears Tower and Toronto to replace the Leaf with the CN tower and the Habs to replace their classic logo with an arrogant, french pr*ck. These desperate attempts at trying to convince people that Detroit's image is bad/wrong and the city is really EXACTLY like Chicago or Boston have gone too far. How many members on this site live within the Detroit city limits?? I'd really like to know. I'd wager there are more people that live in Chicago proper on this site than Detroit proper. (I'm tallking city limits. Not Novi, Sterling Hts, Livonia, Farmington, or any of the Actually liveable areas.) I think Bettman's plan of trying to make hockey fans forget all about tradition is working. Hockey is more about tradition than any other sport. Maybe people haven't noticed but "Retro" is the name of the game in sports these days. Look at how many sports have throwback games or have teams changing their uniforms back to their old styles. Teams like the Sabres are realizing their mistakes and talking about going back to their classic jerseys. Putting the Stanley Cup on the jersey is such an arrogant and stupid idea that i can't believe it was mentioned in seriousness. If any team were to be idiotic enough to do that, only the Habs have a claim since they've won the most Cups. That'd be like the the Patriots putting the Lombardi Trophy on their helmets.

That's a pretty good idea you have there, BetterRED.

Now that I think more about it, I'm starting to wonder if the league would approve a jersey that has a drawing of Lord Stanley's cup on the front. Maybe there can be a logo on the front that somehow incorporates toughness/grit/determination/hard work, has a subtitle that says something like "the world's finest" or "a history of champions".

Then keep the winged wheel on the shoulder/arm (sorta like that goofy foot that is on the Avs jerseys, but ours will look cool!)

Keep brainstorming, people!

Actually...that might be pretty cool!

you might have changed my mind.

Wow. I don't even know where to start. Next we'll hear that it would be great idea for the Hawks to replace the Indian head with the Sears Tower and Toronto to replace the Leaf with the CN tower and the Habs to replace their classic logo with an arrogant, french pr*ck. These desperate attempts at trying to convince people that Detroit's image is bad/wrong and the city is really EXACTLY like Chicago or Boston have gone too far. How many members on this site live within the Detroit city limits?? I'd really like to know. I'd wager there are more people that live in Chicago proper on this site than Detroit proper. (I'm tallking city limits. Not Novi, Sterling Hts, Livonia, Farmington, or any of the Actually liveable areas.) I think Bettman's plan of trying to make hockey fans forget all about tradition is working. Hockey is more about tradition than any other sport. Maybe people haven't noticed but "Retro" is the name of the game in sports these days. Look at how many sports have throwback games or have teams changing their uniforms back to their old styles. Teams like the Sabres are realizing their mistakes and talking about going back to their classic jerseys. Putting the Stanley Cup on the jersey is such an arrogant and stupid idea that i can't believe it was mentioned in seriousness. If any team were to be idiotic enough to do that, only the Habs have a claim since they've won the most Cups. That'd be like the the Patriots putting the Lombardi Trophy on their helmets.

thumbup.gif

Original teams can't change their logo. It's like the unwritten law, or maybe it is written. However, I wouldn't mind a second logo like the Rangers and Bruins have where the original logo still exists.

Boston changed their original logo.

Personally, I think the team name should change as well. I mean, go with the animal theme that the Lions and Tigers have. I vote for the Detroit Bears. Then it could be "Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!"

Edited by edicius

clap.gifclap.gif

thank you for saying exactly what was on my mind.

i read in an interview in the Freep last week with mathieu schneider. at the end of it, he mentioned how he felt like he always belonged here, and something to the effect of as soon as he put the sweater on, what a special feeling it is.

even i felt that way when i first got my jersey. i felt so proud to finally own one of my own, to be a part of the heritage. but if they came out with one of these ridiculous and flashy jerseys and dumped the Winged Wheel... forget it. i would never waste my money.

With other teams you'd have a point, but seriously, are the Wings really that strapped for publicity that they need to change? No. Besides, if you're going to change the jerseys, don't do it during the season, or right before the playoffs. That's stupid. Do it during the off-season.

Also, how many people would really get the new jerseys? Seriously now. Harking back to what zettermaberg said a couple posts ago, who'd want to waste their money on that?

The Winged Wheel has been around since before the NHL even started. It was used by the Montreal Winged Wheels, who won a championship with it back in 1893. They were the FIRST EVER WINNERS OF THE STANLEY CUP!!!!!! If nothing else, that is the reason why we will never have the logo changed.

The Winged Wheel has been around since before the NHL even started. It was used by the Montreal Winged Wheels, who won a championship with it back in 1893. They were the FIRST EVER WINNERS OF THE STANLEY CUP!!!!!! If nothing else, that is the reason why we will never have the logo changed.

Just as I said....what logo could be more associated with the Cup than the Winged Wheel, and what better reason do you need to proudly display the Cup on the front of the jerseys?

I went to the game last night vs. Chicago, and I saw a lot of really cool Blackhawks jerseys being worn at the game. Old ones, newer ones, etc. I also noticed a lot of the white winged wheel Wings jerseys, and a few of the red ones being worn, too. I also saw one guy with one old-style jersey.

It got me thinking.

Before you fly off the handle at this suggestion, let me give you a few good reasons.

1. It's a great marketing move to sell more merchandise and make more money for Ilitch. He needs to build a new arena, his businesses are expanding, and he could use a lot more cash. If they sell it, the Red Wings fans will buy it.

2. Yzerman is probably going to retire at the end of this season. If they unveil a new jersey now (and Stevie's name is on it), it will sell a LOT. This would be the perfect time to unveil a new style of jersey - shortly before the playoffs when your most famous player is most likely going to retire at the end of the season. I believe Yzerman's jersey is the most sold in the NHL, perhaps in all sports. So, now is the time do do this. Like I said in #1, it's a brilliant way to sell a lot of merchandise.

3. The Winged Wheel is so old. When is the last time the jersey was redesigned? (NN, I'm sure you know, resident stat boy!) And honestly, so many people who aren't wings fans often ask me "what the heck is that logo anyway". I explain it's a winged wheel, and they think it seems kinda dumb.

4. Tying into #3, the winged wheel represents older Detroit - the motor city, when we were the headquarters of car manufacturing for the world. Detroit needs a new image, and has been moving toward a more diversified business climate than just "the big three". Getting rid of the winged wheel with something more modern that reflects Detroit would be great.

So, what do you think?

Sometimes marketing is simply about protecting what you have and I happen to believe that the Red Wings is one of those cases. If Illitch needs to build a new arena I'm sure there are other ways to finance it.

Ok Muse, you got me. I didn't realize what date this thread was started until now.

Just as I said....what logo could be more associated with the Cup than the Winged Wheel, and what better reason do you need to proudly display the Cup on the front of the jerseys?

the nhl doesn't even own the cup, good lord, what right do the Wings have to take that as their logo. as i said above, go check out the ceiling at the Bell Center.

It got me thinking.

So, what do you think?

Ok Muse, you got me. I didn't realize what date this thread was started until now.

if it is an april fool joke, the scary thing is that people are agreeing and putting suggestions on here. rolleyes.gif

the nhl doesn't even own the cup, good lord, what right do the Wings have to take that as their logo. as i said above, go check out the ceiling at the Bell Center.

Exactly. First come first serve on the logo. And the Habs haven't won since '93, during which time the Wings have added three to their resume and are threatening to add another one. Meanwhile the Canadiens are fending off the tradition-rich Atlanta Thrashers for that coveted 8th playoff spot.

I think bright silver jerseys on the road and pink 'n' silver at home would really make a statement. And then, because everyone loooooooves black, a black third, again, with the "HOCKEYTOWN" diagonal lettering.