• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#41 MoscowDynamo

MoscowDynamo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:14 AM

4. Tying into #3, the winged wheel represents older Detroit - the motor city, when we were the headquarters of car manufacturing for the world. Detroit needs a new image, and has been moving toward a more diversified business climate than just "the big three". Getting rid of the winged wheel with something more modern that reflects Detroit would be great.

You're so right.
The auto industry? Yeah, I think my grandpa worked for them.
I've been noticing a lot of Coney Islands downtown when I go to games, plus Cheli's Chili. What do you think about changing the logo to a coney dog with chili spraying out one side. That way we could keep it sort of like the Wing logo.
Now, like Muse says, before you blast me, think about it.

#42 MoscowDynamo

MoscowDynamo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:28 AM

betterREDthandead
I think the team should retain the name "Red Wings" but change everything that's red on the jersey to silver, and replace the Winged Wheel logo with a Stanley Cup. The Winged Wheel can be a shoulder patch or something. That way you've got the best of both worlds: the traditionalists are happy, because what could be a more traditional representation than good ol' Lord Stanley? The merchandise sellers would be happy, of course. And we'd finally be showing off what the rest of the league already knows: the Wings are the team most often identified with the Cup, so why not make it official?

Yeah, I'm sure Toronto would not take issue with that, seeing how we're the team "most often identified with the Cup."
I mean, come on, Detroit has 10 (TEN!) Cups to their name!!
And how many does lowly Toronto have?

11?
Oh...

...and Montreal has 23?
oh...

Let's change the logo anyway.

#43 amberlynn25

amberlynn25

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 520 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (MoscowDynamo @ April 2, 2006 - 10:28AM)

Yeah, I'm sure Toronto would not take issue with that, seeing how we're the team "most often identified with the Cup."

11?
Oh...

...and Montreal has 23?
oh...

do i smell a hint a sarcasm there??? lol laugh.gif
I get up every day, and I live. Everybody says you should live to the fullest, but what is it? No one knows until you come so close that you're not worried about anything else but being alive."~ Jiri Fischer
my heart belongs to a canadian!

#44 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,160 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (Muse @ April 2, 2006 - 08:22AM)

I'm not an artist, so I can't draw anything up. I bet someone on here would be able to put some good ideas to paper, though. Vladdy16, maybe?

When you look at some of the newer logos out there for the newer teams, they are pretty exciting. We need something more powerful.
The red & white colors need some dressing up with brighter colors.

I'm not talking about an alternate jersey, either. I think it should be the main, major new jersey. Otherwise, it won't sell as well.

I'm intrigued. I think an update might be just the thing. There's been so many changes lately, Wings should keep up with the times. There's been some good ideas kicked around. I'm tied up today, but I'll try and come up with some designs tomorrow. I like the idea of incorporating silver and black into it a la Stanley Cup. Montreal and Toronto may have more Cups, but not recently. Wings are definately more closely associated with Lord Stanley than any other team in the league right now, and that doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. I'll post what I come with.

Thanks, Muse!
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#45 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:55 AM

I'd have to put some more thought into the original ideas made to start this thread, but it is intriguing.

It could definitely be time for a change. If you want to compare to past jerseys worn, maybe to a jersey similar to this one. What do ya think?

thumbup.gif / thumbdown.gif

user posted image

#46 shannyfan1414

shannyfan1414

We will miss you Shanny!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:06 AM

Great points indeed. But i'm totaly against the idea. I love the old school look and i'm pretty sure that we have on of the best selling jerseies in the NHL. Why would you mess with somthing that is working? I guess i might not oppose a 3rd jersey, i wouldn't be a fan of it nor would i purchase one. But if they are going to do anything thats what i would do.

Thanks TeeMan

#47 Dawgs

Dawgs

Rookie

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:08 AM

Your all on crack. No way do you change the Wingedwheel. Its legendary. Its used by teams around the world. Its easily the best logo in sports. It links all wings past and present. Its the one thing all players throughout the ages have in common. Changing it would be sacrilege. And even harboring such thoughts is blasphemy.

#48 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (vladdy16 @ April 2, 2006 - 10:46AM)

I'm not an artist, so I can't draw anything up. I bet someone on here would be able to put some good ideas to paper, though. Vladdy16, maybe?

When you look at some of the newer logos out there for the newer teams, they are pretty exciting. We need something more powerful.

I'm not talking about an alternate jersey, either. I think it should be the main, major new jersey. Otherwise, it won't sell as well.

I'm intrigued. I think an update might be just the thing. There's been so many changes lately, Wings should keep up with the times. There's been some good ideas kicked around. I'm tied up today, but I'll try and come up with some designs tomorrow. I like the idea of incorporating silver and black into it a la Stanley Cup. Montreal and Toronto may have more Cups, but not recently. Wings are definately more closely associated with Lord Stanley than any other team in the league right now, and that doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. I'll post what I come with.

Thanks, Muse!

The only thing about silver, black, red, blue is that most teams have these colors. It's so Canada & USA. We need something added that's really vibrant. Maybe add a bit of purple, or orange, or teal or lime green... I dunno, come up with something really unique that will get people's attention.

I wonder what Stevie Y's favorite color is. Does anyone know? Now that would be an excellent way to make this work. If he loves say, lemon yellow, you mix that in for the new Wings first jersey.
There's no place like Hockeytown.

#49 Wingsfan25161929

Wingsfan25161929

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:17 AM

absolutely not.
no
no
no
no
no
NO

sorry can't do it. I love the wings because of the importance of tradition and the "old days" within the franchise. You can't just go and change everything. Absolutely not. Changing the colors just wouldn't make sense. I guess you could go ahead and make a 3rd jersey, but they sure better not wear it every other night. I don't want to see a third jersey. They just released the new practice jerseys which are kind of sweet, make people go buy those. DON"T MESS WITH THE GAME JERSEYS!!!!

just my opinion...
IPB Image

#50 Dawgs

Dawgs

Rookie

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (Muse @ April 2, 2006 - 11:12AM)
QUOTE (vladdy16 @ April 2, 2006 - 10:46AM)

Thanks, Muse!

The only thing about silver, black, red, blue is that most teams have these colors. It's so Canada & USA. We need something added that's really vibrant. Maybe add a bit of purple, or orange, or teal or lime green... I dunno, come up with something really unique that will get people's attention.

I wonder what Stevie Y's favorite color is. Does anyone know? Now that would be an excellent way to make this work. If he loves say, lemon yellow, you mix that in for the new Wings first jersey.

The failed experiment with the Pistons and teal still makes me want to wretch. Please stop this nonsense before some impressionable young kid thinks this is possible.

#51 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (betterREDthandead @ April 2, 2006 - 09:21AM)
I think the team should retain the name "Red Wings" but change everything that's red on the jersey to silver, and replace the Winged Wheel logo with a Stanley Cup. The Winged Wheel can be a shoulder patch or something. That way you've got the best of both worlds: the traditionalists are happy, because what could be a more traditional representation than good ol' Lord Stanley? The merchandise sellers would be happy, of course. And we'd finally be showing off what the rest of the league already knows: the Wings are the team most often identified with the Cup, so why not make it official?

That's a pretty good idea you have there, BetterRED.

Now that I think more about it, I'm starting to wonder if the league would approve a jersey that has a drawing of Lord Stanley's cup on the front. Maybe there can be a logo on the front that somehow incorporates toughness/grit/determination/hard work, has a subtitle that says something like "the world's finest" or "a history of champions".
Then keep the winged wheel on the shoulder/arm (sorta like that goofy foot that is on the Avs jerseys, but ours will look cool!)

Keep brainstorming, people!

#52 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:29 AM

Edit: nevermind.

Edited by BlakChamber, 02 April 2006 - 11:42 AM.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#53 TheCaptain19

TheCaptain19

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:32 AM

whatever happened to those people saying that those new tighter jerseys were going to be redesigned next year and there was going to be black in them?

#54 Lidstromrules16

Lidstromrules16

the best thing about life is knowing you put it together- T. Rez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (hockeycrazy3033 @ April 2, 2006 - 12:54AM)
QUOTE (norrisnick @ April 2, 2006 - 12:47AM)
It's not that bad of an idea.  It's like when people (not naming names tongue.gif ) gave the BJs s**t for their name.  "Blue Jackets? WTF?"  "Red Wings?"  Equally silly.  As well as the Wild, Islanders, etc...  Thankfully the new Mighty Duck owners wised up and are dropping the silly modifier. 

I'm not a Detroiter (or a Michigander for that matter), is there any tie to the aviation industry in the area?  Maybe ditch the "Red" and just go with Wings?  Would be a perfect opportunity to ditch the 'old-timey' spoked wheel and take a more 21st century winged motif or something.  Plus, whenever the 3rd jersey thread pops up the most requested change would be like those black practice jerseys.  A sort of edgy black and silver (Stanley Cup tie-in anyone) jersey design would kick ass. 

Anyone more artistically/digital imaging inclined wiling to try and conjure something up?  Now that I'm thinking of it it would be cool to take a look at somethign down this line of thinking.  Pretty please?

peace

Detroit Wings?

EWWW that sounds bad.

laugh.gif

how about.........Detroit Mighty Wings???? wink.gif

user posted image

#55 livediehockey80

livediehockey80

Best Damn Logo in All Sports

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:20 PM

I think the Detroit uniforms could use an updated look. I think the Wings would look awesome with silver and black trim with Winged Wheel and the numbers.

I mean c'mon, the Wings needs to update their jerseys for the 21st century.
Red Wings Forever!!!!

#56 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Muse @ April 1, 2006 - 11:54PM)
I went to the game last night vs. Chicago, and I saw a lot of really cool Blackhawks jerseys being worn at the game. Old ones, newer ones, etc. I also noticed a lot of the white winged wheel Wings jerseys, and a few of the red ones being worn, too. I also saw one guy with one old-style jersey.

It got me thinking.

I think the Red Wings should change their jerseys.

Before you fly off the handle at this suggestion, let me give you a few good reasons.

1. It's a great marketing move to sell more merchandise and make more money for Ilitch. He needs to build a new arena, his businesses are expanding, and he could use a lot more cash. If they sell it, the Red Wings fans will buy it.

2. Yzerman is probably going to retire at the end of this season. If they unveil a new jersey now (and Stevie's name is on it), it will sell a LOT. This would be the perfect time to unveil a new style of jersey - shortly before the playoffs when your most famous player is most likely going to retire at the end of the season. I believe Yzerman's jersey is the most sold in the NHL, perhaps in all sports. So, now is the time do do this. Like I said in #1, it's a brilliant way to sell a lot of merchandise.

3. The Winged Wheel is so old. When is the last time the jersey was redesigned? (NN, I'm sure you know, resident stat boy!) And honestly, so many people who aren't wings fans often ask me "what the heck is that logo anyway". I explain it's a winged wheel, and they think it seems kinda dumb.

4. Tying into #3, the winged wheel represents older Detroit - the motor city, when we were the headquarters of car manufacturing for the world. Detroit needs a new image, and has been moving toward a more diversified business climate than just "the big three". Getting rid of the winged wheel with something more modern that reflects Detroit would be great.

I could give a few more reasons, but I think this gets the idea across.

So, what do you think?

Sorry, I'm not sold. Two reasons:

-I don't really care how much money Illitch make.
-I also don't care about people thinking the Whinged Wheel is dumb.

Sometimes marketing is simply about protecting what you have and I happen to believe that the Red Wings is one of those cases. If Illitch needs to build a new arena I'm sure there are other ways to finance it.

"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#57 ontariowingsfan

ontariowingsfan

season tickets!!!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (Muse @ April 2, 2006 - 12:54AM)
Getting rid of the winged wheel with something more modern that reflects Detroit would be great.

Ya.. like a driveby shooting

I think it's a horrible horrible idea. The Winged Wheel is syonomous with Detroit hockey.

Wasn't the winged wheel voted best sports logo of all time last year??? In sports illustrated or something?? I can't remember.
I'm sooo gaga for Lidstrom Rules!
I love the shape you take when crawling towards the pillowcase

Red Wing season tickets AND the new Justin CD in the same day??!!???
Yes Brianne, there IS a Santa Claus!

#58 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (MoscowDynamo @ April 2, 2006 - 10:28AM)
betterREDthandead

11?
Oh...

...and Montreal has 23?
oh...

When's the last time Toronto or Montreal has won the Cup? It's been decades for Toronto. The Wings have won more in the past decade than any other team.

And Muse, I'm not worried about the league having some kind of trademark on the Cup. Remember, there was the notion that in the absence of the NHL during the lockout, the Cup should be awarded to someone else. Bright silver jerseys with the Cup emblazoned across the front, trademark the logo and let the league know who owns Stanley! And for a third jersey, put "HOCKEYTOWN" diagonally down the front the way the Rangers do. Perfect blend of tradition and 21st century style.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#59 Lidstrom Rules

Lidstrom Rules

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:43 PM

Wow. I don't even know where to start. Next we'll hear that it would be great idea for the Hawks to replace the Indian head with the Sears Tower and Toronto to replace the Leaf with the CN tower and the Habs to replace their classic logo with an arrogant, french pr*ck. These desperate attempts at trying to convince people that Detroit's image is bad/wrong and the city is really EXACTLY like Chicago or Boston have gone too far. How many members on this site live within the Detroit city limits?? I'd really like to know. I'd wager there are more people that live in Chicago proper on this site than Detroit proper. (I'm tallking city limits. Not Novi, Sterling Hts, Livonia, Farmington, or any of the Actually liveable areas.) I think Bettman's plan of trying to make hockey fans forget all about tradition is working. Hockey is more about tradition than any other sport. Maybe people haven't noticed but "Retro" is the name of the game in sports these days. Look at how many sports have throwback games or have teams changing their uniforms back to their old styles. Teams like the Sabres are realizing their mistakes and talking about going back to their classic jerseys. Putting the Stanley Cup on the jersey is such an arrogant and stupid idea that i can't believe it was mentioned in seriousness. If any team were to be idiotic enough to do that, only the Habs have a claim since they've won the most Cups. That'd be like the the Patriots putting the Lombardi Trophy on their helmets.
ontariowingsfan is soooooooo my girl
I said, "Even though you know what you know, I know that I'm ready to leave 'cus you're making feel like I've never been born." ~John Lennon

#60 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,752 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (Muse @ April 2, 2006 - 12:20PM)
That's a pretty good idea you have there, BetterRED.

Now that I think more about it, I'm starting to wonder if the league would approve a jersey that has a drawing of Lord Stanley's cup on the front. Maybe there can be a logo on the front that somehow incorporates toughness/grit/determination/hard work, has a subtitle that says something like "the world's finest" or "a history of champions".
Then keep the winged wheel on the shoulder/arm (sorta like that goofy foot that is on the Avs jerseys, but ours will look cool!)

Keep brainstorming, people!

Actually...that might be pretty cool!

you might have changed my mind.

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!