72 replies to this topic

#1 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:30 AM

Picked this up a couple weeks ago when I came out and I'm hooked. I know there's a couple other LGWers that have (friends list on Live).

What are your impressions?

#2 Covenant

Covenant

1st Line Sniper

• Silver Booster
  • 974 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:45 AM

Hooked? I don't think there is a strong enough word to express just how hooked I am.

I am impressed on every single level. I was extremely hooked on "Morrowind" as well, but nothing approaching this great title. I also had Morrowind on the PC, and unless you had a monster gaming rig, the frame rates were unacceptable.

Graphics are outstanding, lots of shiny/bumpy textures everywhere. There are some brief loading times that seem to cause a hiccup every now and then. But it's a small price to pay for what surely would be "Ultra High" settings, if this was the PC version of the game.

I made my character a High Elf, and born under the sign "Mage". So, my magicka basically never runs out, but also I am susceptible to other magic, which is already making some questing difficult.

My level is 13 now, and it's taken me approximately 22 hours of gaming time to reach that. I've joined the Mages Guild, The Blades, and the Fighters Guild so far. I've yet to come across the Thieves Guild, but will join that when I do. In this game, you'll find a TON of locks to pick, and my character isn't skilled at that. So, of particular interest to me in this guide below, was the quest for the unbreakable lockpick. Something I definitely recommend if you are to collect the best booty. Which, as RPG's go, it's hard to fathom a game with more stuff in it.

Every single book you see on the shelves in a library, for instance, can be read.. or taken. Every piece of food on the tables, can be taken - eaten, or used to make a potion. The Alchemy is a fun aspect to the game as well (again, if your character is suited for it) Combat in Oblivion is leaps and bounds better than in Morrowind as well. It's engaging, tense.. sometimes fierce. My mage can conjure up buddies to help fight, and believe me I've needed my skeleton almost in every battle.

Here is a decent GUIDE to the game, courtesy of gamespot.

P.S. Although the symphonic score is brilliant, I find it far too short. So, in comes the XBox 360's ingenious music streaming. With Windows Media Center, you're able to stream all of the music on your PC when you're playing the game. Nothing like queuing up 14,000+ songs for an RPG!

*Covenant10885 for my Live handle by the way
IPB Image

#3 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:13 PM

Convenant -- I added you to my Friends list via XBox.com.

Man, Level 13? I'm just a Level 2 (almost 3) and I've been taking my sweet time with everything. Checking out *everything*. Of course, my play time is usually limited since the only time I have available is usually late at night after I've worked on the site for a few hours and the little one is asleep (and the wife, too, lol!)

If you want to join the Thieves Guild (I'm trying to join them all) go to the Imperial City Waterfront shortly after midnight and go out to the small village beyond the wall. Once you pass through the archway turn left and you'll see a campfire with three individuals standing there.

Talk to Armand (middle). The two others are other "Thieve Guild wannabes" and you'll have to win a 'contest' to get initiated. Basically, you've just got to be the female elf on the right. Right after the conversation is finished and the contest officially begins, save your game.

After that, do a quick 180 and hightail it after that elf. Just follow her to the "target's" house. She'll get there first but she always sneaks once inside -- and you don't have to. As long as you're close to her you should have no problem running past her to the desk that's on the other side of the dining table.

I think the other way is to get caught stealing or something and serve your sentence in jail. The first time you rest after that I think you're approached, but I'm not sure. I know it's like that with the Dark Brotherhood after you kill your first civilian.

#4 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:54 PM

Today I picked up a VGA HD AV Cable so I was able to hook my 360 up to my LCD monitor and start playing in HD. I highly recommend it, from what I hear the HD quality on LCD is better than on TV's. Its awesome, especially if you cant afford an HDTV because the cable is 40 bucks.

Anyway, I just started playing since I hooked the thing up and I just quit after I got out of the sewers. I thought the graphics were great but I wasnt overly impressed. Does it get better?
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#5 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:59 PM

Yes. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

#6 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (ARice89 @ April 5, 2006 - 11:54PM)
Today I picked up a VGA HD AV Cable so I was able to hook my 360 up to my LCD monitor and start playing in HD. I highly recommend it, from what I hear the HD quality on LCD is better than on TV's. Its awesome, especially if you cant afford an HDTV because the cable is 40 bucks.

The game looks fantastic on my 57" Sony WS HDTV wink.gif

Using components right now, though I wish the 360 supported DVI. (I think there's a 3rd-party adapter out there, but not sure.)

#7 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (Mattias19 @ April 5, 2006 - 10:01PM)
The game looks fantastic on my 57" Sony WS HDTV wink.gif

laugh.gif I'm sure it does.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#8 Covenant

Covenant

1st Line Sniper

• Silver Booster
  • 974 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

laugh.gif Well, no little ones.. OR wife here.. so I get a good chunk of hours in each day.

Thanks for the heads up on the Thieves Guild. Currently, since my character is not particularly adept at sneaking or stealing, I'm on the quest for the "Unbreakable Lockpick". This will really help my guy. I've even been stuck in a dungeon related to the main quest because all of my lockpicks are broken.

ARice: The graphics are outstanding, but you have to consider the scale of just how huge this game is. I think some of the textures used out in the countryside are a tad bland, but they had to scale them back a bit to get an acceptable frame rate.

Wait until you start creeping around in some of the Vampire dungeons. With the 5.1 kicking, and the lights out, it's a fairly freaky game at times. Not Silent Hill scary by any means, but along those lines.

Another sidenote: The combat for you early level dudes is going to be tough (depending on character). I just wanted to let you both know that the difficulty slider is extremely scalable. I am encountering some bad-ass mofo's now at Level 15 (enemies will be harder as you level up).. and I moved the slider one click down. I'm dying far less often, but the fights are still very tough.

*Matt: You should pick up NHL 2K6 - we could play online. And, yeah.. you can use the Wings, they aren't overly rated in the game anyhow, I'll just lay the smack down with the Thrashers. laugh.gif
IPB Image

#9 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:02 AM

I like it, but I picked it up for the PC.
Moral victories are for losers.

#10 Covenant

Covenant

1st Line Sniper

• Silver Booster
  • 974 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (Heaton @ April 6, 2006 - 12:02PM)
I like it, but I picked it up for the PC.

Quick question: Did you play Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind?

That's what got me hooked. My PC is getting a bit old, so the 360 was the better choice for me.

P4, 2.8Ghz, 1GB of RAM, GeForce 6600GT - would only be able to run the game on "medium" settings at best. thumbdown.gif
IPB Image

#11 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:31 AM

Never played any other Elder Scrolls.
Moral victories are for losers.

#12 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:40 AM

BTW for those of you that have played do you play in first or third person?

Oh, and I think Matt has my tag but Covenant, it is CuJo 17.

#13 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (Covenant @ April 6, 2006 - 09:53AM)
*Matt:  You should pick up NHL 2K6 - we could play online.  And, yeah.. you can use the Wings, they aren't overly rated in the game anyhow, I'll just lay the smack down with the Thrashers.  laugh.gif

I'm passing on NHL games this year because they're just glossed-over ports. Next year I'll be getting it, of course.

The only EA Sports game worth getting this year is FNR3 (and I have it, of course). It's great.

---

Went to a Level 3 last night and I succombed to the Dorian Gold cheat. I bribed him full of gold and then whacked him and let the wife (she VOLUNTEERED! *gasp*) repeatedly hit the A button while she watched American Idol after I switched over the video import.

How nice a of a deal is that? I've now got over $1.5M in gold at my disposal, lol!

I'm not sure how long that cheat is going to be available before Bethesda puts out a patch to fix that one and at least one other gold-related one, so I wanted to get a few saves in.

I've still got to do some decent exploring. Checking ever damn thing out as I go down the road has slowed me down quite a bit. I've barely ventured beyond the Inn of Bad Omen to complete my initiation into the Dark Brotherhood.

(My character is a Nord with a custom class I made called "Sentinel" -- I'm a KOTOR slappy -- and born under the sign of the Warrior. Basically he's a "Jack of All Trades, Master of None", lol.)

Oh, and I went and got the infamous Horse Armor last night -- and I don't even have a horse yet (could've stolen one outside of Imperial, but opted not to). I've had 400MPs burning a hole in my virtual wallet for a couple months now...

#14 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (ARice89 @ April 6, 2006 - 12:40PM)
BTW for those of you that have played do you play in first or third person?

Oh, and I think Matt has my tag but Covenant, it is CuJo 17.

Yeah, I've got yours. You and "swiper19" (forget who that is) are always playing NHL2K6, lol.

Oh, and 90% of the time I'm in 1st-person view.

#15 Covenant

Covenant

1st Line Sniper

• Silver Booster
  • 974 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Mattias19 @ April 6, 2006 - 12:43PM)
Went to a Level 3 last night and I succombed to the Dorian Gold cheat.

thumbdown.gif Boooo.. to cheating. There is another one in case either of you are interested.

The Merchant outside of Kvatch is an orc. Apparently you can repeatedly sell your weapon to her, gaining about 200G each time (that's all she has).

Cool about your Nord character. I'm just a straight up Mage. High Elf style. You won't catch me wearing any armor (although I'm proficient in "light" ). That dungeon I raided last night had more than it's fair share of magical robes/vests.

I hear you on the getting distracted issue. You can't travel for a minute in any direction and NOT stumble upon some ruin, or cave. And as an RPG'er.. you know it's all about the loot!

*Edit: 1st person all the way. That's the only way the combat is fun. This game certainly wasn't designed with the 3rd person perspective in mind, it looks very clumsy.

**Edit 2: Glass daggers rule. yowza.gif

Edited by Covenant, 06 April 2006 - 02:42 PM.

IPB Image

#16 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (Covenant @ April 6, 2006 - 03:41PM)
thumbdown.gif Boooo.. to cheating.

Yeah, I know, but I've got to try it at least once. wink.gif

Tonight, if I get time, I plan on finishing my initiation into the Thieves Guild by selling off the stolen property and then continuing on the Prince's quest from the Arena... then going back and getting GrandMaster there.

#17 Covenant

Covenant

1st Line Sniper

• Silver Booster
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (Mattias19 @ April 6, 2006 - 04:33PM)
Yeah, I know, but I've got to try it at least once. wink.gif

Tonight, if I get time, I plan on finishing my initiation into the Thieves Guild by selling off the stolen property and then continuing on the Prince's quest from the Arena... then going back and getting GrandMaster there.

thumbup.gif Nice! Having recently looted a cave full of conjurers, it's time to sell all my schwag.

You oughta earn some achievement points for going up in rank. Those things are addictive. I just now have 2000.
IPB Image

#18 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:58 PM

LOL, well last night I got sidetracked a bit. I was continuing down to the Inn of Bad Omen to finish getting into the Dark Brotherhood.

After whacking the geezer I get jumped by an Imperial soldier in the room and I kill him after resisting the arrest... So, I leave the Inn after that and tool around in the forest (looting a cave full of conjurers, too, ironically) for a while after starting the Nirnroot quest. I decided "aww, hell, I'll just go back to one of the main roads"

That was a mistake.

As soon as I came out of the brush I could see another Imperial soldier that was a few hundred yards down the road at a ruin and was dismounted from his horse. Must've seen me right away because he got back on his horse and beelined it right to me to arrest me.

I opted not to resist this time and just pay the fine -- which landed me in Skingard for the first time. My first city outside of Imperial. So I've been digging around in there and also had to "re-steal" my 50G-worth of stolen goods to take to the Theives Guild as part of my initiation.

After that all I have to do is join the Fighters Guild, since I can't in Skingard.

Almost a Level 4 now and I think the biggest thing blowing my mind is that my wife is actually showing an interest in this... (This is after the "you ZELDA dork!" comments when she first saw the game, and I've never even played Zelda, lol.)

I think it's the fact that I can buy houses and furnish them that intrigues her, lol!

Right now I'm making my way through Jim's Goblin City...

#19 Covenant

Covenant

1st Line Sniper

• Silver Booster
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:27 PM

user posted image

Well well. Now a shade over 28 hours into this game, and I'm just now experiencing the true scope of it. It is absolutely monstrous.

I fast travelled down to Leyawiin (SE corner), just because the unbreakable lockpick quest is somewhere in that region. Upon visiting the town, I got employed immediately by the Count of Leyawiin on some amazing journeys.

I'm now a Level 18 Mage, and even the random enemies generated in the world are getting tough, and exciting to battle. The best part is that the booty is all that much better as well.

After completing 2 jobs for the Count, I'm finally able to shell out the hard-earned [*cough cough, UN-like Matt] tongue.gif 7000 gold for my first house.

ARice, you gotta stick with it, anyone who loves videogames is in heaven playing this, seriously.
user posted image

IPB Image

#20 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:51 PM

Ya I'm definately starting to get into it. I think I've logged 15 hours or so and I'm at level 3.

I'm grand master in the Arena, which gave me a nice chunk of change to start out with. I thought it was surprisingly easy to win in the Arena.

I came accross a pretty funny glitch too. In the beginning of the game I was sent to prison for something and I had a cell mate and I decided I would beat his ass. laugh.gif He died.

Now, I'm doing the "Two sides of the coin" quest, and I have to go talk to a womans husband in prison. The woman's husband turns out to be the guy I killed so now I cant talk to the guy because he is just lying in the cell dead. I guess I cant do the quest. laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users