• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TNBT

Jamtin = McCarty?

Rate this topic

I, along with plenty of other people around here, have missed Darren McCarty this year and the physical aspect he brough to this team. Anyway, I've been browsing around the prospect profiles on Red Wings Central and checking out Andreas Jamtin, seeing as how he's one of the guys we have to get signed this year or lose to free-agency. The thing that stuck out to me about his profile is how similar he seems to be to McCarty. Both are tough, gritty, tenacious players. Both like to get their nose dirty, battle for the puck along the boards and love to dish out hits. Both bring some great energy and toughness to their teams.

Even their size is close-ish. McCarty is 6'1 and 210 lbs. Jamtin is 6'0 and 191 lbs. (according to Red Wings Central). Jamtin is a lot younger than McCarty, so he could still add a bit more weight, and if he does so he could end up being pretty close to the same size as Mac. So what I'm wondering is can someone who has had a chance to watch him play tell me, is he a similar player to McCarty? Does he drop the gloves like Mac does? Would he be able to fill that role that McCarty did for us?

Jamtin is a Maltby type of player. Nothing more. He can never be expected to take a similar role like the one McCarty had, never.

Why is that?

Doesn't have the size? Isn't willing to drop the gloves? Something else?

Why is that?

Doesn't have the size? Isn't willing to drop the gloves? Something else?

He's from a different hockey culture above all else. Players don't fight much in Europe. It's not a part of hockey at all, nothing like the way it is in North America.

Jamtin is a in-your-face type of player. He works hard and he fights occasionally, but understand this, the reason he has earned a reputation as a "tough guy" or whatever has got more to do with the brand of European hockey than anything else. He would be destroyed by someone like Chris Neil, perhaps even by Steve Ott. These players have learned the ropes of fighting from the beginning as a natural part of hockey and a natural part of competing for a spot on the team. The situation in Europe and especially Sweden is very different.

The best way to demonstrate this is the fact that Dan Boyle stood up for his teammates when playing in the SEL and he didn't embarrass himself. Dan Boyle!

This is the guy I think will be coming over next year, possably to GR and see how he gets on

TOMEK VALTONEN , 6' 1" and 210lb

SCOUT COMMENTS

"He's a big, strong guy and his skating has gotten better. He's older, he's more developed mentally, and he's been a pleasant surprise. His upside is as a third- or fourth-line winger, just crashing and banging." -- Red Wings director of amateur scouting Joe McDonnell (January 2004) ... "He's gotten a lot stronger, his skating has improved, he has better quickness, and he's learned to accept the role he has to play. He plays hard, he's got a banging hit. He's got a role and he's kind of found that niche and done a good job with it." -- Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill (May 2004) ...

Stats this year; 51 11 6 17 130 .

This is the guy I think will be coming over next year, possably to GR and see how he gets on

TOMEK VALTONEN , 6' 1" and 210lb

SCOUT COMMENTS

"He's a big, strong guy and his skating has gotten better. He's older, he's more developed mentally, and he's been a pleasant surprise. His upside is as a third- or fourth-line winger, just crashing and banging." -- Red Wings director of amateur scouting Joe McDonnell (January 2004) ... "He's gotten a lot stronger, his skating has improved, he has better quickness, and he's learned to accept the role he has to play. He plays hard, he's got a banging hit. He's got a role and he's kind of found that niche and done a good job with it." -- Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill (May 2004) ...

Stats this year; 51 11 6 17 130 .

Yeah, he should be fun to watch. From what I've heard, he hits everything that moves...

Sadly,Tomek Valtonen is not the answer to our "Bring back D-Mac or someone like him"-problem. He is not at all more physical player than for example Jämtin. Kind of same type,getting reputation here but it would be a different story overseas. Steve Ott would kick his as* too.

Besides,he's calmed down a bit. Now he's trying to be more of a skillful player. Which he is not.

Jamtin is a Maltby type of player. Nothing more. He can never be expected to take a similar role like the one McCarty had, never.

Hm... I wouldn't say Jämtin is similar to Maltby. I think the perfect match is Avery.