• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 drsingle

drsingle

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

Now, with Grand Rapids and the Ads set to begin a series, it's like Detroit vs. Nashville Lite.

Congrats to the Griffins for their play to this point.

David
Visit PredNation.com for Predators and Hockey Analysis

#22 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(rick zombo @ May 17, 2006 - 01:42PM) View Post

I still find it a bit suprising that people are elated about Filpulla, Hudler, and Bootland when it's seems quite clear that Howard struggled in a big game. He is rated as a higher prospect than those three guys.

For me, him playing poorly almost overshadows the great play of these other three prospects.

Anyone know what I mean?

Well, this was Howards first real chance to play in a big game, I'm not that worried, this is only his first season in the AHL and I think he can't be fairly judged until next year. Like Funky said, the change from College schedule to the AHL schedule can be dramatic.
Moral victories are for losers.

#23 FunkyBlueFish203

FunkyBlueFish203

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE(rick zombo @ May 17, 2006 - 11:42AM) View Post

I still find it a bit suprising that people are elated about Filpulla, Hudler, and Bootland when it's seems quite clear that Howard struggled in a big game. He is rated as a higher prospect than those three guys.

For me, him playing poorly almost overshadows the great play of these other three prospects.

Anyone know what I mean?

He was not on top of his game but the defense was also no help as they hung him out to dry. At one point in the first period he had faced 10 shots while the Griffins had countered with 1 SOG.

Howard was spectacular in game 5, clearly playing his best game of the series then. In that game he put out a clinic. He was also excellent in games 2 and 3, and was named the second and first star of those games respectively. Many times in this series he made the big save when needed and some more. His coach went far enough to say the bigger the moment, the better Howard plays. Yes, he should've done better in game 7 but I expect all of this is still new to him. After MacIntyre took over for him at the end of the second period and until the end of the game, Drew faced 1 SOG. That goes to show how much the Griffs tightened up their defense and raised their game to pull out this win. So far Jimmy's having a good playoffs and I'm glad the Griffins are moving on so he can keep this journey going.

"He sits next to Steve in that locker room for a reason -- because we wanted him to internalize some of those things. Steve was able to will this organization to unbelievable years with the three Stanley Cups, and now it's up to someone else. Z has that kind of will and that work ethic and that passion to be the best. It's going to be his time." -- Coach Mike Babcock

DOPASAPA est. 2006, President

#24 Icer

Icer

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

Grand Rapids has come from behind to win a bunch of times this season so I knew they had it in them, but I thought it was all over when they went down 4-1. They're going to be talking about this comeback for years.

#25 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:42 PM

Guys like Virtue and Meech left Howard out to twist in the wind, they were no help, per usual.

#26 PuckMark

PuckMark

The various stages of my work day

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(FunkyBlueFish203 @ May 17, 2006 - 02:12PM) View Post

That goes to show how much the Griffs tightened up their defense and raised their game to pull out this win.

OR....it shows how pathetic Manitoba played. The goal with 0.5 seconds left in the 2nd period took the life out of the Moose, even though they still had a 2-goal lead. They played scared, they played "not to lose", and their collapse is every bit the story that the stirring comeback is for the Griffins. The Griffins absolutely did not tighten up...in fact, there were numerous chances where Manitoba could have had a 3 on 1 or even 4 on 1 opportunities in the 3rd, but somehow screwed it up. The Griffins D is pretty pathetic, most of the time.
"Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league."
- Scott Lucidi, June 25, 2003 @ 2:22pm

If Jack Bauer was ***, he would be called Chuck Norris.

#27 FunkyBlueFish203

FunkyBlueFish203

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:50 PM

^^ That works, too. I think the Moose missed Flaherty as well. Drew facing 1 shot in about 23 minutes of action was amazing, though.

"He sits next to Steve in that locker room for a reason -- because we wanted him to internalize some of those things. Steve was able to will this organization to unbelievable years with the three Stanley Cups, and now it's up to someone else. Z has that kind of will and that work ethic and that passion to be the best. It's going to be his time." -- Coach Mike Babcock

DOPASAPA est. 2006, President

#28 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

2 questions

1) Can someone link me to the radio stream page for the Griffins?

2) How are people watching these games? Which channel are they on and there isn't a live stream is there?
Moral victories are for losers.

#29 Icer

Icer

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(Heaton @ May 17, 2006 - 04:05PM) View Post

2 questions

1) Can someone link me to the radio stream page for the Griffins?

2) How are people watching these games? Which channel are they on and there isn't a live stream is there?

All games are televised on B2 but it is pay per view. Some away games are on Comcast Local for free. Streaming audio is on WOOD Radio.