• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
detroitdan

met Danny Cleary today

Rate this topic

Hey guys. I work in a sporting goods store here in Newfoundland. A guy came in this morning and bought a couple of Wings hats. Isaid to him that that was the best team and he asked me if I was a big fan. I said I was diehard and that I had followed them for a long time, had gone to see them play Edmonton last month.

Turns out he's a friend of Danny Cleary's and that Cleary is out in his truck. He told me to get someone to cover for me and that he'd get me a signed picture of him. So I went with him out to the truck and met Cleary. He's a nice guy, got to talk to him for a few minutes, he just got back home yesterday. They were going out of town for the May 24th holiday (Victoria Day, big deal in these parts). I asked him if he was going to be back with Detroit next year and he said he'd probably sign a new contract soon. I got the autographed picture too. It was pretty cool. I was really excited when I found out that the Wings had signed him, I'm even more excited now that he's going to be staying there for what looks like a few more years.

The last thing I said to him was "Bring the Cup back here next year" and he said he would. Wings in 07 baby! :champs:

Anything more than the minimum and he's getting overpaid. He played gritty in the playoffs, I'll give him that, but he always comes on the short end of a bodycheck, and can't finish to save his life. His spot could be better utilized by a Grand Rapids prospect, who's younger and deserves a chance. Now if this means Maltby will be traded, fine, but someone will need to explain the reasons behind this signing if that's not the case

Anything more than the minimum and he's getting overpaid. He played gritty in the playoffs, I'll give him that, but he always comes on the short end of a bodycheck, and can't finish to save his life. His spot could be better utilized by a Grand Rapids prospect, who's younger and deserves a chance. Now if this means Maltby will be traded, fine, but someone will need to explain the reasons behind this signing if that's not the case

Cleary isn't very old himself and can skate circles around any of the GR crew brought up for a checking line role.

Again, not worth more than the league minimum. Guys like Cleary are a dime a dozen

Ive been saying the same. I dont what the love for Cleary is all about...whether or not he works hard, he still has no offensive ability whatsoever (3 G over a full season folks). You can find another penalty killer out there who can do more in other areas than Cleary. Plus if Draper and Maltby are still here..you just cant give a spot to this guy. But if he does come back..minimum is indeed all he should he get.

Ive been saying the same. I dont what the love for Cleary is all about...whether or not he works hard, he still has no offensive ability whatsoever (3 G over a full season folks). You can find another penalty killer out there who can do more in other areas than Cleary. Plus if Draper and Maltby are still here..you just cant give a spot to this guy. But if he does come back..minimum is indeed all he should he get.

My hope is that he and 'Stein become the Kirk and Kris of the future (I'd actually prefer the now) at at most half the cost of the current Grind Line alumni.

Cleary isn't very old himself and can skate circles around any of the GR crew brought up for a checking line role.

Bootland needs to be inserted on the 4th line, he is playing on the PP and PK lines for Grand Rapids. It would supply more of a physical presence than what's there now.

Hey guys. I work in a sporting goods store here in Newfoundland. A guy came in this morning and bought a couple of Wings hats. Isaid to him that that was the best team and he asked me if I was a big fan. I said I was diehard and that I had followed them for a long time, had gone to see them play Edmonton last month.

Turns out he's a friend of Danny Cleary's and that Cleary is out in his truck. He told me to get someone to cover for me and that he'd get me a signed picture of him. So I went with him out to the truck and met Cleary. He's a nice guy, got to talk to him for a few minutes, he just got back home yesterday. They were going out of town for the May 24th holiday (Victoria Day, big deal in these parts). I asked him if he was going to be back with Detroit next year and he said he'd probably sign a new contract soon. I got the autographed picture too. It was pretty cool. I was really excited when I found out that the Wings had signed him, I'm even more excited now that he's going to be staying there for what looks like a few more years.

The last thing I said to him was "Bring the Cup back here next year" and he said he would. Wings in 07 baby! :champs:

Nice man, Cleary sounds like a good guy.

For those critiquing him, we're supposed to have others put it in the net more consistently (i.e. Shanahan, Datsyuk, etc.) that didn't. Would it be nice for Cleary to have 10 goals over 82 games instead of 3? Sure, but we're not relying on Cleary to score 15 goals a game. I'd definitely like to see him back and a slight raise in salary is deserved I think a bit above the league minimum.

Part of the reason the Wings are considered such a class franchise is that they don't lowball their players. Even if Cleary gets twice the league minimum (very unlikely) does that really affect the Wings' ability to sign someone? I think Cleary will get about $700-750K per year. Does that extra $250-300K really cause problems for the Wings to try and sign a $4 million free agent, if they need to?

Look at it this way: If you like him, hes most likely coming back and we could do a lot worse. Hes cheap, relatively young, has a good set of wheels, a little grit, some heart and experience.

For those of you harping on him, all signs point to Mark Mowers not coming back. Someone needs 13th forward duty, and undoubtedly Cleary will get it if hes underperforming.

As long as this guy is given a smart contract, Im ambivalent.

Part of the reason the Wings are considered such a class franchise is that they don't lowball their players. Even if Cleary gets twice the league minimum (very unlikely) does that really affect the Wings' ability to sign someone? I think Cleary will get about $700-750K per year. Does that extra $250-300K really cause problems for the Wings to try and sign a $4 million free agent, if they need to?

Yes, I agree they're a class franchise, but sometimes they have to make difficult decisions. Especially with a salary cap, they have to decide if the money may be better spent on a younger guy who'll accept the league minimum. This team needs to make some hard choices, if they decide to bring back guys like Cleary, then they should look to get rid of guys like Maltby, who only scored 2 more goals. A big reason the team has not been effective in the playoffs is because they keep bringing back the same guys year after year out of loyality. That's fine when you win, but when you lose like they have the lst few years, everyone expects changes to be made, and they should be made.

The man's definately a keeper. Sounds pretty sweet that you had a conversation with him, good work.

See I don't get this, why is he a keeper? Because he played for Detroit? What was so special about his game that we couldn't replace at all? It's not like he's a physical preence, he tries to be, but more times than not he's on the short end of hits, and he has about as much goal scoring touch as Boyd Deveraux. Now, if you want him to replace Draper or Malby at a bargain basement price, ok, but I don't get what he brings that this team can't find in either Grand Rapids or on the UFA market.

Edited by Barnes52

Sure, but we're not relying on Cleary to score 15 goals a game.

Well, that would be setting the bar pretty high for anyone...

I'm ambivalent. He's really not a very effective player, but he played a strong game in the playoffs, so I wouldn't be bothered if he was back.

The Honorable MICHAEL IANNAZZO wishes to put forth the following resolution before the committee:

Resolution 1(a) states thus:

At no time shall a player of the National Hockey League have their name modified in any such way with the suffix of -ie (-ey) for no good reason. Players like Dan Cleary will be--in all times past, present, or future--known soley as "Dan" Cleary, as opposed to "Danny" Cleary, (further examples: "Dougie" Weight, "Roddie" Brind'Amour, "Scottie" Niedermayer, etc.).

Players whose names don't sound embarassing with the suffix may retain it ("Stevie" Yzerman); players whose names actually include the suffix may retain it ("Jamie" Langenbrunner).

Commentators, posters, and all others found guilty of this crime shall henceforth and forthwith have their names ammended to include the -ie suffix, and further have their names ammended if it isn't quite embarassing enough (think "Chris").

All in the favor of this resolution, say "aye."