• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Who's coming up?

Rate this topic

With the Griffs season over in much the same anti climatical way as the Wings ended theirs, the questions will be which of the guys look most likely to make the step up to the Wings next season. Much will depend on which guys the Wings bring in but the main one will be if they go after a #1 netminder. Young prospect Howard didn't have a great series and his stats aren't what you

would call encouraging for a prospective #1. A 0.885 save % and a 3.46 GAA. His regular season was better at 0.910 save % and a 2.58 GAA. Maybe Liv will give him the competition he needs to get the best from him.

The worrying thing for the Wings was the performance of the Griffs main D prospect's in the playoffs. Lebda finished a team worse -9 with 1 goal and 4 helpers with Quincey next on the list with a -7 and only the 1 assist in the 16 playoff games.

On the forward front the 2 main prospect's did finish with the 2 best point tallies, but again both finished with a minus rating.

26 Jiri Hudler 16 6 16 22 -1 20

15 Valtteri Filppula 16 7 9 16 -4 4

The guy who got overlooked last year when others got the call up did have a better play off series than most of his team mates.

27 Darryl Bootland 16 5 7 12 +1 50.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens and who has a good camp may be the defining factor for many of the prospects.

My money is on the finnish kid Filppula getting on the roster for next year. If Hudler doesn't make it I can see him being offloaded in a trade deal, maybe even before the camp, would be a pity as I would have liked him to have been given a run at it, but you never know. If Bootland gets overlooked again I can see him looking at pasture's new to get his chance in the big league. I can also see the kid Kindl overtaking Quincey in the pecking order on the D too.

Well only another 4 1/2 months to wait folks!

With the Griffs season over in much the same anti climatical way as the Wings ended theirs, the questions will be which of the guys look most likely to make the step up to the Wings next season. Much will depend on which guys the Wings bring in but the main one will be if they go after a #1 netminder. Young prospect Howard didn't have a great series and his stats aren't what you

would call encouraging for a prospective #1. A 0.885 save % and a 3.46 GAA. His regular season was better at 0.910 save % and a 2.58 GAA. Maybe Liv will give him the competition he needs to get the best from him.

The worrying thing for the Wings was the performance of the Griffs main D prospect's in the playoffs. Lebda finished a team worse -9 with 1 goal and 4 helpers with Quincey next on the list with a -7 and only the 1 assist in the 16 playoff games.

On the forward front the 2 main prospect's did finish with the 2 best point tallies, but again both finished with a minus rating.

26 Jiri Hudler 16 6 16 22 -1 20

15 Valtteri Filppula 16 7 9 16 -4 4

The guy who got overlooked last year when others got the call up did have a better play off series than most of his team mates.

27 Darryl Bootland 16 5 7 12 +1 50.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens and who has a good camp may be the defining factor for many of the prospects.

My money is on the finnish kid Filppula getting on the roster for next year. If Hudler doesn't make it I can see him being offloaded in a trade deal, maybe even before the camp, would be a pity as I would have liked him to have been given a run at it, but you never know. If Bootland gets overlooked again I can see him looking at pasture's new to get his chance in the big league. I can also see the kid Kindl overtaking Quincey in the pecking order on the D too.

Well only another 4 1/2 months to wait folks!

I think most all of the players you mentioned will get a look at camp.

In goal, I'm very doubtful Howard will go anywhere next year. He needs a good couple of years in GR until he is a solid lock with the big club. With Liv coming over, there is no rush for Howard. And if worse comes to worst, Joey MacDonald is a pretty capable goaltender in GR and he could possibly fill a big league backup role.

On Defense, Lebda is probably a lock for the #6 D spot on the big club. The fact that he played over Cross and Woolley has to say something. Quincey has a good shot at getting the #7 spot, but I think he needs another year in GR. I'm sure next year he will get more call-ups to Detroit. I actually heard somewhere that Kindl is going back to juniors for another year. I can't remember where I saw it tho..

On Offense, Ken Holland says its do or die for Hudler. He has tons of talent, but his attitude isn't always there. I'd imagine with this stipulation he'll have a real strong camp, and a spot on the big club next year. It was Filppula's first year in GR, he looked good, but I think 1 more year wouldn't hurt. Kopecky also had a good season in GR and may get a chance for a spot at camp. If Bootland has a strong camp, I'll bet that he will be a lock for Mowers 4th line spot, since I doubt he's going to be resigned.

Jimmy, Filppula, and Quincey could all benefit from one more AHL season as the go to guys. They did very well in their first pro (NA) season, but a few more games with prime minutes ought to help.

Lebda needs to play himself off the team (most accounts I've heard is that he's 10 times better as a Wing than he's ever been as a Griffin), as according to Holland he's in the top 7 as is.

Hudler needs to play himself on to the team, and with some spots possibly opening up (Stevie :( , Shanahan, Willy) I think he will.

Kopecky and Bootland will be battling it out for Mowers' spot and possibly a 4th line hole that could open up if more than one forward moves on. Filppula would probably be better, but these two are older and need to sink or swim with the Wings.

I think most all of the players you mentioned will get a look at camp.

In goal, I'm very doubtful Howard will go anywhere next year. He needs a good couple of years in GR until he is a solid lock with the big club. With Liv coming over, there is no rush for Howard. And if worse comes to worst, Joey MacDonald is a pretty capable goaltender in GR and he could possibly fill a big league backup role.

On Defense, Lebda is probably a lock for the #6 D spot on the big club. The fact that he played over Cross and Woolley has to say something. Quincey has a good shot at getting the #7 spot, but I think he needs another year in GR. I'm sure next year he will get more call-ups to Detroit. I actually heard somewhere that Kindl is going back to juniors for another year. I can't remember where I saw it tho..

On Offense, Ken Holland says its do or die for Hudler. He has tons of talent, but his attitude isn't always there. I'd imagine with this stipulation he'll have a real strong camp, and a spot on the big club next year. It was Filppula's first year in GR, he looked good, but I think 1 more year wouldn't hurt. Kopecky also had a good season in GR and may get a chance for a spot at camp. If Bootland has a strong camp, I'll bet that he will be a lock for Mowers 4th line spot, since I doubt he's going to be resigned.

Read the May29th Red Wing Central and that will tell you who may have a shot with Detroit

I think the people who have a good shot at being pulled up are , mcdonald as a backup , bootland as the 4th spot & hudler , but im not totally sure , who knows what migth happen with trades & new goalies stuff like that.

You must feel that they are going to put Liv in G.R. right.Also you must like to see Detroit playing short a man ; because Bootland will put them ( 390 min.) there. Hudler from all I've read and seen first hand is too slow.

You must feel that they are going to put Liv in G.R. right.Also you must like to see Detroit playing short a man ; because Bootland will put them ( 390 min.) there. Hudler from all I've read and seen first hand is too slow.

Ok then , who do you see coming up if not one of those three , the only others i could possibly think of would be flippula & howard , who probably wont come up for a few years anyway & no , i dont think Liv will go to G.R , he may be put in the top position , who's knows yet.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

Ok then , who do you see coming up if not one of those three , the only others i could possibly think of would be flippula & howard , who probably wont come up for a few years anyway & no , i dont think Liv will go to G.R , he may be put in the top position , who's knows yet.

I would like too see Tomas Kopecky in Detroit and also Liv.Darryl Bootland has come along way since his last sting with Detroit but he needs too stay out of the pen. box.I have never liked Hudler(too small and too slow),he' ok for the ahl but not nhl.I also think Kindl will be ready before Quincey and I could be wrong.

Hudler is far from slow. He's not a burner but his speed is good enough plus he has a cannon for a shot. He'll either be traded or he'll make the Wings. His days in Grand Rapids are over.

Jiri Hudler and Tomas Kopecky, two forwards out of options and who must be kept on the roster or lost to another organization, will get long looks during training camp.

"There will be changes," Holland said. "But how many, we'll have to see."

just saw that in an article and my question is do any of you believe both will make the team ?? i think they should , i wouldnt wanna lose both guys to the waivers , i think we need some young guys who might be able to do the job at cheaper costs , dont forget after next season datsyuk will be unrestricted and we'll need all the cap room we can get to try and keep him

just wondering though .....can detroit leave say kopecky in grand rapids without calling him up once and still maintain his rights ?

I hope Kindl comes in and does very well. I am a huge fan of his.

Kindl probably will spend one more year in juniors since the 3-year contract he signed does not have to go into effect until he goes to GR or detroit. GM Jim Nill said on redwingscentral that he most likely wont begin his contract until the 2007-2008 season. I think another season in juniors will do him some good.

just wondering though .....can detroit leave say kopecky in grand rapids without calling him up once and still maintain his rights ?

Nope. At the beginning of the year/preseason all players with Red Wing contracts are officially up with the big squad. When they first report to the Griffins they are being sent down and any players not waiver exempt need to clear to go down. Kopecky and Hudler won't clear...

Nope. At the beginning of the year/preseason all players with Red Wing contracts are officially up with the big squad. When they first report to the Griffins they are being sent down and any players not waiver exempt need to clear to go down. Kopecky and Hudler won't clear...

yup which is why i asked , its definetly time we give these guys a legitimate shot and make them get some real ice time and see what they got , we need to get some younger blood upfront i personally would like to see a holmstrom-zetterberg-hudler line

if hudler can be anythin good as dastyuk as a playmaker and play with holmstrom and zetterberg i can see zetts geting 50 goals and holmstrom possibly goin 30

anyways it would be good to see what they got first before just trading them away to keep say a samuelsson or shanahan , we need to fill in our spots with some of our younger prospects .........anyways well see what happens