• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
betterREDthandead

2006 FIFA World Cup

Rate this topic

Comes up in just over a week. Anybody watching? I don't follow soccer much myself, being that MLS is kind of a joke, there's no team in Detroit, and the only leagues worth paying attention to are across the pond. Kind of a once-every-four-years fan, since the World Cup is pretty much one of the coolest sports events going. Guess I'm kind of a soccer fan waiting to happen - I'd probably jump on it if Detroit had a team in MLS. But I'll definitely be following the World Cup closely.

USA got jobbed on the draw, of course - Italy is in our group, and if we manage to get to the Round of 16, Brazil will be waiting, unless by some miracle we beat out Italy. The Czech Republic is no joke either, and Ghana has Cinderella written all over them. But this is the highest the US has ever been ranked coming in. I would love to see the reaction around the world if the US were to ever win the Cup, but til then I'll settle for Brazil and Italy not winning.

My brother is a soccer nut and my parents are pretty big fans as well. I'm not into soccer as much as my brother but the World Cup is something I pay a good bit of attention to.

USA is currently ranked 5th in the FIFA World Rankings. Their opening round pool is features the Czech Republic, Italy, and Ghana. Extremely tough draws. The Czech Republic is one of the best soccer nations right now, Italy has always been a soccer power. Ghana isn't a world-beater but they are no pushover either. USA is good, I don't know if the nation is overhyped or ranked too high or not. I think what I'm waiting to see is if the quarterfinal showing in 2002 is a fluke or not, with a fair amount of players from the 2002 roster playing once again 4 years later.

A few of my memorable World Cup moments, I went to two World Cup games in Dallas in 1994 at the Cotton Bowl in the opening round. Nigeria shut out Bulgaria 3-0, and Spain and South Korea drew 2-2.

In 1998, I kid you not, I was in Paris when France won the World Cup that year as host country. Thankfully I was nowhere near the stadium as it was probably mass chaos there. That night I ate at a restaurant 10-15 minutes from where I was staying and just watched people party and parade in the streets until late in the evening. That was a pretty fun night to experience.

I think the US is capable of beating the Czechs and maybe drawing Italy IF they are healthy (Reyna). It'll be tough though, nobody will make the mistake of taking them lightly again. Getting past the group stage would be good enough for me, considering they would likely face Brazil after that. Just as long as it's not another disaster like '98. US Soccer's repectability abroud would tank and it would take another deep run in the next WC to regain some of that respect.

Soccer is the only sport ever where i watched entire games just to hear the announcer..."GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Really, I knew little about soccer but i was addicted to the Univision channel for Andres Cantor i think his name was. The one World Cup where Brazil beat Italy in the shootout i was watching games all day long the whole tournament. The old FIFA video games helped me get into it too. I havent followed it at all in years though..

Soccer is the only sport ever where i watched entire games just to hear the announcer..."GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Really, I knew little about soccer but i was addicted to the Univision channel for Andres Cantor i think his name was. The one World Cup where Brazil beat Italy in the shootout i was watching games all day long the whole tournament. The old FIFA video games helped me get into it too. I havent followed it at all in years though..

I used to watch Spanish soccer games when I was still in Spanish class. It was funny to listen to the commentators thanking the Virgin Mary after a timely goal. :lol:

Obviously I'll be supporting England! :D

Regarding the Yanks - I think it's near impossible for them to get out of that group. It's a shame though coz the team is OK, but nowhere near as good as the Czech and Italy teams. But, who knows, you might get really luck and scrape through.....

Also, the only reason you guys are ranked so high in the world is coz you play s***e teams all the time! :P It's like Mexico, they're ranked 4th, but they're not that good either! Here is the FIFA World Rankins if anyone is interested: http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/news/fifa.html

Look on the bright side, in 2010 Adu will be playing! ;)

Obviously I'll be supporting England! :D

Regarding the Yanks - I think it's near impossible for them to get out of that group. It's a shame though coz the team is OK, but nowhere near as good as the Czech and Italy teams. But, who knows, you might get really luck and scrape through.....

Also, the only reason you guys are ranked so high in the world is coz you play s***e teams all the time! :P It's like Mexico, they're ranked 4th, but they're not that good either! Here is the FIFA World Rankins if anyone is interested: http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/news/fifa.html

Look on the bright side, in 2010 Adu will be playing! ;)

Italy 13th?? How does FIFA figure these rankings? Italy can't really be that low, can they? The rankings can't mean that much if Italy is that far down and still expected to be the clear favorite in that group.

Italy 13th?? How does FIFA figure these rankings? Italy can't really be that low, can they? The rankings can't mean that much if Italy is that far down and still expected to be the clear favorite in that group.

Not to mention, Germany at 19th. GERMANY?!?!?! 19TH?!?!??! NO F****N WAY!!!

Those Fifa World Rankings are notoriously flawed...

My native country The Netherlands actually ranks third on that list, which seems pretty accurate since we didn't lose a game during qualifications. For that matter I believe that our team only lost once in almost two years (to Italy) now (if i remember correctly...).

Although we're in a tough group (with Argentina, Ivory Coast and Serbia-Montenegro) I see us advancing to the quarter and maybe even the semi finals. I don't see The Netherlands winning though... (My money's still on Argentina or Brazil).

Those Fifa World Rankings are notoriously flawed...

My native country The Netherlands actually ranks third on that list, which seems pretty accurate since we didn't lose a game during qualifications. For that matter I believe that our team only lost once in almost two years (to Italy) now (if i remember correctly...).

Although we're in a tough group (with Argentina, Ivory Coast and Serbia-Montenegro) I see us advancing to the quarter and maybe even the semi finals. I don't see The Netherlands winning though... (My money's still on Argentina or Brazil).

This Dutch team is very young, and I'm not convinced that they'll do that well. The defence in particular is very inexperienced, but luckily van der Sar is one of the world's best! And Sneijder, Cocu and Gio going down to injury isn't gonna help your cause.

However, the attack is, as usual, very strong! Ruud will be contender for the Golden Boot, I'm sure.

Serbia and Ivory Coast are on alot of people's "dark horse" list; it's a very tough group to get out of.....

Matt, would you mind posting Holland's (probable) starting 11?

Here's England's for anyone that cares! :lol:

Robinson; G.Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, A.Cole ; Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, J.Cole ; Owen, Crouch. - Rooney will take Crouch's place when he is fit again!

I actually see Argentina and the Ivory Coast coming out of that group. My vast soccer experience and knowledge tells me so.[/sarcasm] No, just my feeling that Ivory Coast is* this year's come-from-nowhere African Cinderella. That, and I hope it's not Ghana.

Guvnor, you aren't one of those 3,300 hooligans that can't leave the country and has to go hang out at the police station during England's games, are you? :ph34r:

*Am I supposed to say "are", "Ivory Coast are", not "is"? What's up with that? Is that a British thing, or do the French also say "La Cote d'Ivoire sont la Cinderella de cette annee" instead of "La Cote d'Ivoire est la Cinderella...." Or maybe "Les Cote d'Ivoire sont...."?

This Dutch team is very young, and I'm not convinced that they'll do that well. The defence in particular is very inexperienced, but luckily van der Sar is one of the world's best! And Sneijder, Cocu and Gio going down to injury isn't gonna help your cause.

However, the attack is, as usual, very strong! Ruud will be contender for the Golden Boot, I'm sure.

Serbia and Ivory Coast are on alot of people's "dark horse" list; it's a very tough group to get out of.....

Matt, would you mind posting Holland's (probable) starting 11?

Here's England's for anyone that cares! :lol:

Robinson; G.Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, A.Cole ; Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, J.Cole ; Owen, Crouch. - Rooney will take Crouch's place when he is fit again!

The Dutch team actually isn't 'that' young, but you're right that some of the defenders don't have much international experience (compared to the defenders who used to play in our international squad like F. De Boer and Stam). But most of them have played during qualifications and actually did very well. We'll just watch and learn how they will perform in the World Cup.

According to the latest news the injuries sustained in the game against the Aussies don't seem to be too serious (Van Basten didn't find it necesarry to call up other players).

Probable starting 11 (not counting potential injuries):

Van der Sar, Kromkamp, Mathijsen, Ooijer, Gio, Van Bommel, Cocu, Van der Vaart (or Sneijder), Robben, Van Nistelrooij, Van Persie

The Dutch team actually isn't 'that' young, but you're right that some of the defenders don't have much international experience (compared to the defenders who used to play in our international squad like F. De Boer and Stam). But most of them have played during qualifications and actually did very well. We'll just watch and learn how they will perform in the World Cup.

According to the latest news the injuries sustained in the game against the Aussies don't seem to be too serious (Van Basten didn't find it necesarry to call up other players).

Probable starting 11 (not counting potential injuries):

Van der Sar, Kromkamp, Mathijsen, Ooijer, Gio, Van Bommel, Cocu, Van der Vaart (or Sneijder), Robben, Van Nistelrooij, Van Persie

Mate, compared to Euros and World Cups of past this Dutch team is still in nappies! :P No Seedorf, Davids, Reiziger (sp?), Bergkamp, Kluivert, Van Hooijdonk, the de Boer's , Stam (as you said), Makaay, Overmars, Zenden, etc. Only 4 Dutch players gong to Germnay have 50+ Caps! :o

I do want the Dutch to do well though, as I was drawn them in a sweepstakes at work! :P

Betterred: Don't worry dude, not all English supporters are hooligans! :D

The US is coming hard in this World Cup. I expect them to make the tournament round and go far, possibly even win the whole thing. They have the pieces in place to win the Cup.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic?! :blink::unsure::o

The US is coming hard in this World Cup. I expect them to make the tournament round and go far, possibly even win the whole thing. They have the pieces in place to win the Cup.

you cant be serious. I would be happy if US just makes the final 16.

Well well well....Ecuador shuts out Poland and shows once again that many European teams are overrated for being European. That's why I'm not at all convinced the Czech Republic is superior to the US.

You should be... considering Reyna thinks so.

But Reyna, who speaks fluent German after playing in the Bundesliga for Bayer Leverkusen and VfL Wolfsburg, said the U.S. were clearly underdogs in their group.

"We're a small football nation," he said in German. "We believe the underdog role can be an advantage for us."

No shame in being the underdogs. Only shame in losing to them. ;)

Trinidad & Tobago with the upset of the tournament so far. Sweden's got nothing but tougher matches coming up now. Suddenly T&T vs. Paraguay gets interesting.

Good shout BRTD! Shaka Hislop was amazing for T&T, Sweden threw everything but the kitchen sink at him! With that result England can qualify for the 2nd Round with a win again T&T on Thursday! :D

Last night Ivory Coast were unlucky to lose 2-1 to Argentina.

This afternoon Arjen Robben scored the only goal in the Holland Serbia game.

Halftime between Mexico Iran with the score at 1-1.

England was terrible despite getting the win in the 1-0 game against Paraguay, scoring their only goal, on an own goal. With TNT and Sweden tying, it now looks like England just needs a tie to advance. I look for the Sweden-Paraguay game as a huge game in that group. Winner (if any) in that game should advance.