• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
betterREDthandead

2006 FIFA World Cup

Rate this topic

England was terrible despite getting the win in the 1-0 game against Paraguay, scoring their only goal, on an own goal. With TNT and Sweden tying, it now looks like England just needs a tie to advance. I look for the Sweden-Paraguay game as a huge game in that group. Winner (if any) in that game should advance.

A tie for England against T&T (which would probably cause the stadium to explode) wouldn't guarantee anything for England, because they could lose to Sweden. But England will probably win out.

Three days of games are done now - Mexico over Iran 3-1 and Portugal squeaking by Angola 1-0. Best performance so far has easily been Hislop of T&T, just brilliant in net. I'm just mad that the USA-CR game tomorrow is at noon rather than being the later game at 3. If this were England I'm sure I could get off of work for it, but not so much here. Have to settle for Italy-Ghana and root hard for the Africans.

England was terrible despite getting the win in the 1-0 game against Paraguay, scoring their only goal, on an own goal. With TNT and Sweden tying, it now looks like England just needs a tie to advance. I look for the Sweden-Paraguay game as a huge game in that group. Winner (if any) in that game should advance.

Did you see the first half of the England game? We came out strong, but the heat played a huge part in the 2nd half - our energy levels just dropped. The BBC reported that England players lost between 5 and 10lbs during the football match!

But we were terrible in the 2nd half. Taking off Owen in the 55th minute didn't help things......

Did you see the first half of the England game? We came out strong, but the heat played a huge part in the 2nd half - our energy levels just dropped. The BBC reported that England players lost between 5 and 10lbs during the football match!

But we were terrible in the 2nd half. Taking off Owen in the 55th minute didn't help things......

Yes, England was solid from the start. I actually thought it was going to be a blowout after the Beckham goal, but England sorta seemed to lack chemistry from that point on. I think England will make it to the final 8, but not much more after that. Getting past Argentina or Netherlands is going to be a struggle.

Yes, England was solid from the start. I actually thought it was going to be a blowout after the Beckham goal, but England sorta seemed to lack chemistry from that point on. I think England will make it to the final 8, but not much more after that. Getting past Argentina or Netherlands is going to be a struggle.

Still not sold on the Netherlands - in fact I still think the Ivory Coast will get past instead of Holland. Beating Serbia doesn't impress me much, and the Dutch did control the play, but they couldn't finish. Despite spending most of the match in Serbia's end, they didn't even get many quality shots on net. I bet Ivory Coast ties them and advances on tiebreaker, either by beating Serbia by more than one, or Argentina beating Holland by more than one.

Question is can England get past Germany in the Round of 16? I say yes, but that's shaky.

[homer]

No.

[/homer]

Not like you to be a homer NN! :lol:

It will be a great game. There's so much history between then 2 countries; when England play Germany the English media turn it into a "war-like" frenzy and remind us that we defeated the "Krauts" in the World Wars. :ph34r:

On paper England's starting XI is up there with the best, and this German team is the poorest I've seen in a while. Germany are hosts, and hosts typically go quite far, hell even the US did well back in '94!! ;)

Timothy,

Don't forget England are still without the Boy Wonder, Wayne Rooney. He's the key for us to win the World Cup........

Ended 3-0. Rosicky and Nedved were amazing.

I was disappointed with the Americans, didn't look that good. Don't really remember the US troubling Cech either.....

Ghana are holding their own against Italy after 25 mins. Think USA could go winless again....

Ghana are holding their own against Italy after 25 mins. Think USA could go winless again....

I prefer to think of Ghana's decent showing against Italy as evidence the USA has a chance against the Azzurri rather than being at risk of losing to Ghana :P

Considering the Czechs are not known for their defense and were playing without their top striker (Baros), the USA was exceptionally.... underwhelming. It doesn't help that Americans have not caught onto world cup fever, but even then I have hard time believing that this squad was touted as the talented US team ever.

Can't wait for Brazil's first match tomorrow. Watching the Seleção attack is like witnessing poetry in motion.

couple of good matches today. I was impressed with Korea's comeback against Togo. I thought Togo would be the "surprise African team" this year and I was nearly right. Also good game going on now between France and Switzerland. Brazil plays Croatia later on today which should be an awesome match. All around good day in Germany.

well at least USA didnt play as bad as Ukraine is against Spain. 4-0 Spain!!

yeah i was massively disappointed with ukraine - i actually thought they could be a dark horse to make the quarters!

but credit has to be given to spain - one of the best performances of the world cup so far.

now that all the teams have played (well except no-hopers tunisia and saudi arabia) who do you guys think have been the most and least impressive teams so far?

imo argentina, italy, spain and the czechs have been great whilst england, france and brazil (especially fat boy ronnie!) have been poor.

honourable mention has to go to ivory coast who could still qualify at the expense of the dutch who (robben aside) were nothing special against the serbs.

the team i was most impressed with so far was Trinidad and Tobago. They stunned me in a match that I thought they had little or no chance. Some nice comebacks in games like the Iran-Mexico and the Korea-Togo game. Overall, I was most impressed with Spain today.

WOW!! Talk about saving the best for last. Very good, hard fought match between Tunisia and Saudi Arabia. Tunisia takes a 1-0 lead early on...Saudi Arabia comes roaring back with 2 goals....and just when it looks like Saudi Arabia is going to win, Tunisia scores in the 93rd min. Game ends in 2-2 tie. On to 2nd games for everyone.

That German game was great. I think i made my neighbors belive im crazy even more. I was singing and channting with the german crowed :)

Germany looks like they are going to make the quarterfinals. Winner of A group will most likely play the top team of T&T, Sweden and Paraguay in the round of 16 and then odds are Argentina in the Quarters. I think Germany can make a serious run, even go all the way to the finals.

Germany looks like they are going to make the quarterfinals. Winner of A group will most likely play the top team of T&T, Sweden and Paraguay in the round of 16 and then odds are Argentina in the Quarters. I think Germany can make a serious run, even go all the way to the finals.

Here's hoping! :D

Lots of late late late 1st goals to win games of late.

Both England and Sweden cashed in well beyond 80min to seal the deal against TNT and Paraguay respectively. England advances and Sweden has to hope TNT doesn't beat Paraguay and/or beat England themselves.

The US's chances aren't looking so good, gotta play nearly perfect to beat a powerhouse such as Italy, but advancing to the 2nd round CAN be done if you don't have quite as stellar first round.

When the World Cup was in this country in 1994 I went to some first-round games in Dallas and saw a matchup between Bulgaria and Nigeria. Nigeria blasted them 3-0, but I believe Bulgaria made it to the final four that year.

Italy is definitely better than Nigeria though, and odds are stacked against the US. But it's definitely possible that they still advance if they somehow win today. Maybe a tie as well, but I wouldn't bank on advancing with just a tie to the Italians.

Obviously if they don't beat Ghana assuming the above happens, bye-bye to the 2nd round.

The US's chances aren't looking so good, gotta play nearly perfect to beat a powerhouse such as Italy, but advancing to the 2nd round CAN be done if you don't have quite as stellar first round.

When the World Cup was in this country in 1994 I went to some first-round games in Dallas and saw a matchup between Bulgaria and Nigeria. Nigeria blasted them 3-0, but I believe Bulgaria made it to the final four that year.

Italy is definitely better than Nigeria though, and odds are stacked against the US. But it's definitely possible that they still advance if they somehow win today. Maybe a tie as well, but I wouldn't bank on advancing with just a tie to the Italians.

Obviously if they don't beat Ghana assuming the above happens, bye-bye to the 2nd round.

Thanks to getting smoked by 3, the US would lose any goal differential tie breakers unless they somehow really pour it on against someone. So assuming the US would lose all tiebreakers, there's only one scenario in which they could tie Italy, beat Ghana, and still advance: the Czechs would have to lose to Ghana and Italy. If they tie Italy and somehow beat Ghana by 6 or something, then maybe. Gotta pull hard for Ghana today.