• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockey0382

College Football

Rate this topic

I know this a bit early but I can't wait for this year's season to start. Some of the polls are starting to come out and 5 teams I keep finding in the top 5 are Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Texas. Now I've read at least 4 polls so far and one had Ohio St. no. 1, the other had Oklahoma, the other had Notre Dame, and the last one had Texas. Here's my take on these five team.

Oklahoma- If they had a good defense and Peterson is healthy then things could go well for them. The schedule is favorable so the only big one for them is Texas. (which is played in Dallas, TX)

Notre Dame- They had a good recruiting year and got a 17 starters back. Quinn will be the key to the Irish. They start out with 4 Big Ten teams in their first 5 games. I don't think they will take all four. They are bound to lose at least one. But if they win out and win that tough one at USC. They could be in the National Championship with one loss.

USC- Even though they play in one of the weakest conferences I think they will lose 1 or 2. I think they have a lot of talent but experience will be the key for them at QB. They have Booty or Sanchez to choose from. Both have taken limited snaps. If they figure that out then they will be golden to make another run. I think they will have one of the top defenses in the country. Two key games for USC is at Cal and Notre Dame. Last time they played at Cal they barely won. Cal will have a top ten team this year so that should be a good one. I think they will be a contender but will fall short. I don't think they will win both against Cal and Notre Dame. One loss will hurt them because of their strength of schedule. BCS bowl but not in Tempe, AZ

Ohio State- I think they should of won with the talent they had last year but I feel their coaches out thinked themselves. Smith will lead this team but I feel out of all the top 5 teams they have the hardest start then any other team. They go to Texas the 2nd week, Penn St at home the 4th week, and then at a very talented Iowa team on week 5. Other then those games they just have to avoid getting upset by teams like Mich st, Indiana, Minnesota, Illnois, and Northwestern. Oh yeah and I can't forget the big one against Michigan. If they go undefeated in the first 5 games the Bucks have a good chance at the title game. They just have to start fast and not wait till mid season to kick it into gear. Also two impressive stats they have is 4-1 against Michigan and only one loss in November in 5 years since the Sweater Vest took over as coach.

Texas- With the loss of Vince Young this team will have to have exellent leadership in their Senior Class. They have a lot of talent but just like USC not too much experience at QB. Texas can not lose early to Ohio St because that will drop them in the polls badly. I think the pollsters will be harder on them this year because I think they doubt them without Young. With an early win against Ohio st and a big win against the Sooners then they should be golden. The chances of this happening are slim. I think between Ohio st and Okla they will drop either one or both. I think out of all these teams they won't be playing in a BCS game this year. Mack Brown will just have to wait till they are experienced enough at QB to make it back to the Championship Game.

Thoughts?????

I think this may be the year of the Irish. Charlie Weiss did very well in his first year, and will only get better with his new recruits. Over the next 4 or 5 seasons i believe Notre Dame will become like USC has been during their run, 1 or even 2 national championships and always being right there in the mix at the end. They will be the new hot team...bank on it!

Im expecting a down year for USC, maybe 3 losses. Everytime i see Oklahoma highly ranked now i just think fraud!

I have to agree that Weis will impove that program as his recruits come in to the program. :thumbup: Also, if you are right about how the Irish will be the next USC. I heard a rumor that Ohio State is trying to schedule Notre Dame in the near future. That would set up for some exciting football.

I love college football. When college football and hockey merge in late fall, I'm almost always smiling. So much to watch!

I haven't read many previews in-depth this summer, don't know a whole lot of athletes from multiple teams, but here goes with the teams stated above...

OU could be a powerhouse again. They got it going near the end of last season. I don't know about Peterson's health status, but QB Romar just has to manage games and not try to win them all by himself throwing 400 yards a game with Peterson being the workhorse. I assume their defense will be strong as always.

Notre Dame...I was surprised to see them ranked so highly, but maybe they are worth the hype once again and are ready to return to being on of the best teams in college football on a daily basis again. Quinn is the real deal. I always forget #83's name on Notre Dame but he's a damn good receiver.

USC and Ohio State I don't really know what their strong/weakpoints are.

Texas could be last year's version of Oklahoma if things go awry. I think they have good RB depth, but if a RB has an injury and the new quarterback, whoever it is, is asked to shoulder the load by himself, they could tailspin early.

The two teams I follow pretty hard are my alma mater, Texas Christian, and LSU, living in SE Louisiana for most my life.

My alma mater was very interesting last year, stunning Oklahoma with amazing defense, yet falling to average SMU the following week, then deciding to win out the rest of our games to finish 11-1, and with many of those games after the starting QB went down with injury and the backup QB just stunning everybody. Prior to coming in last season, he only threw one pass in his college career. TCU should be ranked to start the season in the 20s probably. They got most the cogs in place again to maybe win another conference title and possibly flirting with BCS if the right things fall into place. Wealth of expereince at skill positions, esp. running back, the QB who exceeded expectations is back, and an intense defense as well. The major concerns though are new cornerbacks and an offensive line that needs to gel quickly. If the o-line performs, no reason why the team shouldn't average around 30 points a game.

LSU has all the talent in the world. The big thing with them is CONSISTENCY. They were so frustrating to watch last season despite winning a lot of the close games. A lot of the close games shouldn't have been that way. JaMarcus Russell, when on, is one of the better QBs out there. When he's off, he just falls off the map. Their defense might not be as strong as in recent years so that is of concern. If all the right things fall into place, they could contend for a national championship but SEC play is always brutal. I'm thinking right now a solid bowl for LSU, but no BCS.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

you are right on when it comes to lsu. they have a lot of talent but i could never understand how u blow a half time lead then lose in ot against tenn at home. sec is going to be even this year. florida i think will do good under urban meyer. but the one time i'm really curious about is alabama. people have been putting them down this upcoming season. but last year they were undefeated one point then people just lost respect for them after they lost their first game. auburn probably has the most favorable schedule. with lsu, florida, and georgia all at home.

Michigan State will beat Notre Dame.

But they will lose to Indiana.

Notre Dame will still beat Michigan tho.

Michigan State will lose to the Irish this year Blak. Game is in East Lansing this year. State only beats ND in South Bend. The Indiana loss is right on tho.

Edited by timothy1997

u really can't say notre dame will beat michigan. michigan will play them tough and have the personnel to win it. good ole carr made some changes on his coaching staff. michigan's defense will have to make a better effort then they did last year. i still think it will be a good game to watch this year.

I think Michigan and Michigan State will beat ND this year. MSU plays to their oppenents level, and will win a close one again. Michigan has many new coaches including a defensive cordinator who sounds very impressive

I think OSU will be the team to beat in the Big 10. I think (and hope) OSU will be undefeated when the Michigan game comes around.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

I think OSU will be the team to beat in the Big 10. I think (and hope) OSU will be undefeated when the Michigan game comes around.

why?? so the buckeyes will beat the wolverines in columbus? Michigan has yet to figure out how to beat Tressel and his system.

They have it figured out. The last 2 loses have been mostly due to one player...Troy Smith. You can't stop Smith, all you can do is contain him. If Michigan limits Smith they have a great chance at winning. Look at last year's game they held him to little all day untill the end when he made a great play by escaping a sack and completing a long pass to Gonzalez.

They have it figured out. The last 2 loses have been mostly due to one player...Troy Smith. You can't stop Smith, all you can do is contain him. If Michigan limits Smith they have a great chance at winning. Look at last year's game they held him to little all day untill the end when he made a great play by escaping a sack and completing a long pass to Gonzalez.

Troy Smith was on fire from the opening kickoff. In case you forgot, the first drive Smith went 5 for 6 for 59 yards and rushed 2 times, one time for a touchdown. The rest of the 1st half drives were solid except for the wells fumble.

Play by Play

if Michigan can't even stop Troy Smith in his Soph. and Junior season, what makes you think that Michigan is going to be able to stop Troy Smith in his Senior season. Michigan better look forward to 2007, because that is the next time they are going to be able to beat Ohio State.

Edited by timothy1997

Your right they may not be able to, but that doesn't mean they can't beat OSU. Majority of the games they play are close. If its close in the 4th quarter anything can happen.

Another note: There is a rumor U-M may be switching to a 4-2-5 defense which is suppose to cause trouble for running QB's and their plays (Smith, Stanton, Tate, Morelli) I guess we will find out if this is true in a few short months

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

Your right they may not be able to, but that doesn't mean they can't beat OSU. Majority of the games they play are close. If its close in the 4th quarter anything can happen.

Another note: There is a rumor U-M may be switching to a 4-2-5 defense which is suppose to cause trouble for running QB's and their plays (Smith, Stanton, Tate, Morelli) I guess we will find out if this is true in a few short months

When you go Nickel defense, doesn't the middle open up. Might do more good then bad.

Really looking forward to this season. The offense has a chance to be amazing for the Bucks but the heavy losses on defense worries me somewhat. Usually our defense is always good though so I have faith in the replacements and the system. Might get to see my boy, Nick Patterson, get some playing time.

I feel like Ohio State should win every game on their schedule this year, but we all know it doenst happen that easily. It's really to early to tell until the teams take the field and show you what they're made of. Virtually no one saw Penn State coming last year, so you never know with these things. So another year of big expectations...hopefully they'll last through the season this year.

THe thought of playing Michigan undefeated has always been the scariest thing for a Buckeye fan, but I think a majority of us feel that stigma has been lifted with Tressel.

I couldn't imagine the stress and excitment of watching OSU and U-M facing off both undefeated. I would do anything to see it no matter what the result was.

It would be the most incredible game ever (for us at least) and I dont think my heart could take it. I mean, it would be bad enough to lose to Michigan but to be the one that springed them a National Title game would be devastating. And beating undefeated Michigan to go to the National Championship would be the greatest.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

i can't wait for that game. the last 4 games played in ohio st, i went to those games. i hate michigan but i respect them. i feel thats the biggest game every year for both teams. it should be interesting how things play out for both teams. i think michigan will be a better team this year. if ohio st can get it going early they will be awesome to watch. i love tressel and how he carrys the bucks. but for god sake get the ball to teddy. that kid could win game for the bucks just like how bush won games for usc.

I couldn't imagine the stress and excitment of watching OSU and U-M facing off both undefeated. I would do anything to see it no matter what the result was.

I remember when Michigan and Michigan State were undefeated. The hype was outrageous for the game. Magnify that by 10 million and you would have the ultimate game.

If I'm not mistaken, Notre Dame is looking for a slightly easier schedule in the coming years. The insanely hard schedule has caused much of the Irish's problems in the last 10 years. I doubt they add Ohio State to that schedule unless they're gonig to give up playing Florida State or Tenn on a regular basis.

I really hope ND goes undefeated. They came so close, how MSU and USC squeaked past them is beyond me. That ND/USC game is probably one of the top ten non-bowl games of all time.

If I'm not mistaken, Notre Dame is looking for a slightly easier schedule in the coming years. The insanely hard schedule has caused much of the Irish's problems in the last 10 years. I doubt they add Ohio State to that schedule unless they're gonig to give up playing Florida State or Tenn on a regular basis.

I really hope ND goes undefeated. They came so close, how MSU and USC squeaked past them is beyond me. That ND/USC game is probably one of the top ten non-bowl games of all time.

The schedule is not the problem, its mostly been coaching.

I'm sick of ND fans always mourning over their schedule. They want an easy schedule but at the same time they don't want to join a conference. Your going to have to choose one or the other. I don't think ND will go undefeated like many are predicting. They play Penn State, Geogia Tech, Michigan, Michigan State, and USC to name some hard ones. If they do go undefeated Charlie Weiss is one of the best coaches ever.

It would be amazing to watch a 11-0 ND play a 11-0 USC going into the final week.

The schedule is not the problem, its mostly been coaching.

I'm sick of ND fans always mourning over their schedule. They want an easy schedule but at the same time they don't want to join a conference. Your going to have to choose one or the other. I don't think ND will go undefeated like many are predicting. They play Penn State, Geogia Tech, Michigan, Michigan State, and USC to name some hard ones. If they do go undefeated Charlie Weiss is one of the best coaches ever.

It would be amazing to watch a 11-0 ND play a 11-0 USC going into the final week.

Penn State and Ga Tech have proven nothing to me. They could very easily have a 7-4 just as likely as a 10-1 season. USC has the best WRs in the country with Jarrett and Steve Smith. They need a QB and running game. I think USC will be 9-2 at worst. Michigan State only plays ND tough in South Bend which is bad news bc this game is in East Lansing. I would find it hard to believe that Michigan wouldnt be undefeated, heading into that ND game and the wolverines should have a better season then last year. Bottom line. ND can get it done this year and I don't see any reason why they won't meet up with the Buckeyes in a rematch of last year's Fiesta Bowl, only in the National Championship Game this year.