• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Barnes52

Now, I'm excited

Rate this topic

From HF Boards

Hey guys, I thought I'd drop in and give you a little info on Nick Oslund. He's one of my best friends and we played on the same high school hockey team. First off, central scouting has him listed at 6'3 195. That's not accurate. He's 6'3 1/2 220. His dad is 6'5 - 6'6 and Ozzie is supposed to be the same height as his dad. He doesn't stop eating . Many of you probably think he is fat but he's not. I workout with him and he's an extremely built kid.

Ok, so a little bit about him this season in high school hockey. He led the Lake Conference in scoring, which is the toughest conference in the state for high school hockey. He basically carried our team. He obviously played on the first line, but he didn't get much help. That's why leading the Lake in scoring was that much more impressive. He has a great work ethic and plays every shift like its his last. He was a captain of our team and is very very intense. That's one of the main reasons he decided to go to St. Cloud for hockey. He told me Motzko is a very intense coach. Ozzie hits like a truck. One of the hardest hitters in the state. He also had one of the top shots in the state. It could be a little quicker, but boy he can fire it. With such a big frame you'd think he's probably slow. That's just the opposite, he was the fastest player on our team and most of the time against other teams. He has a very very long and powerful stride. That's why he's so fast. It's funny because he can't run worth a damn, but he can skate like the wind. He's a physical player that doesn't take any **** from other players. He trash talks a lot and people that don't know him very well, could think he's an arrogant kid.

One thing that's really annoying, is all the attention high school players like Forney, Fulton, Sneep, Marvin, etc. get because they dominate CLASS A. When a player like Ozzie dominates CLASS AA, but doesn't get the recognition because he didn't have as many points in a much much harder class. A whole different skill and physical level from Class A to Class AA. We played way way way harder teams than any of those guys. Sure, they had a few tough games, but look how many points they racked up against small town no name teams. People don't look into that enough. For those of you that don't know... there are 2 divisions in Minnesota High School Hockey. Class A is for smaller schools or less skilled teams, and Class AA is for the most competetive teams and bigger schools.

Nick "Ozzie" Oslund is a great guy. His head is on straight and he's a very outgoing guy. He's fun to be around and chill with. He's not cocky as some say, he's very modest. He can't wait to start next season in the USHL.

Trust me when I say this, he's the real deal. One of the Red Wings scouts visited his house 2 days before the draft and told Nick personally that he should have been rated much higher, but they were happy because they could take him as a sleeper. I promise you won't be disappointed. You guys got a real gem, and now I know why the Red Wing organization can find gems in the later rounds like Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Your scouting is awesome, because you found a stud.

If you have any other questions about him, feel free to ask in this post or PM me because I'm always on the HF Boards looking at stuff.

He came into the Wings forum to post about this kid, knows him personally, love what I hear. I'm going to watch this kid carefully

Edited by Barnes52

^^ Lol Heaton. His ancestors must be Swedish or something, in which case he's on the right track ;)

Good stuff. Thanks for posting it here, B52! What's great is we have this kid for 5 years (unless he signs earlier) before we need to sign him, so he's a bit of a project but has time to develop and come into his own. Love it.

Thanks for this B52, this guy sounds great and it will be interesting to see how he develops. Just think, if both Oslund and Matthias reach their full potential both skill wise and Physically we could have two guys on the same line that are fast, physical and both of them are over 6'3" and 220 pounds. :o

He likes to get under the skin of his opponents...sound slike my kind of D-man!

:crazy: Huh? RW

NICK OSLUND

Position: Right Wing

Shoots: Right

Vitals: 6'3'' / 195 lbs.

Birthdate: November 15, 1987

Birthplace: Burnsville, Minnesota

Acquired: Detroit's sixth choice (191st overall) in the 2006 draft

CSS Ranking: 200th North American Skater (2006)

Contract: None (must sign by Aug. 15, 2011)

RWC Says: Role Player

Unless your totally joking, then my bad GiantRobet. :P

I'll have to change my stance about this years draft. At first I was very disapointed when Detroit traded their first pick, because second rounders are an even bigger gamble than first rounders. However after reading that Detroit considered both Emmerton and Mathias in the first round and then were able to get both in the second it has got to be a good thing. Especially when Mathias draws comparisons to Bell. This Oslund kid seems like a real solid pick at 191 overall.

This probably won't please the 'grit lovers' though. :P In regards to one of our other choices:

"Despite Axelsson’s high penalty totals, Nill said he isn’t a hard-hitting physical force. The bulk of his penalty minutes resulted from misconducts, and discipline is something he needs to work on. "

This probably won't please the 'grit lovers' though. :P In regards to one of our other choices:

"Despite Axelsson’s high penalty totals, Nill said he isn’t a hard-hitting physical force. The bulk of his penalty minutes resulted from misconducts, and discipline is something he needs to work on. "

Yeah i read that aswell but Hockeysfuture has him as a physical player:

"Axelsson has great size and is an aggressive and physical player. He has good timing in his hits. His skating, the intensity he plays with and his forechecking is quite good. Axelsson's main asset is his hockey sense and he is good at finding passing openings. At the same time he is a good scorer. Technical skills and hands are good. There is room for improvement when it comes to his defensive game and his acceleration."

You have to be somewhat physical and aggressive to recieve roughing calls and misconducts even if you don't drop the gloves.

Optimism from both Barnses--How can it be?

(I keed).

Really, Matthias and Oslund just might be the kind of grinders we need. Too bad they're 4 or 5 years away, though. best of luck to them.

I will never doubt the Wings drafting tendancies. Especially with mastermind Hakan Andersson overseas. When we've had first rounders, we've done well with them (Kronwall) we get steals late in the draft (Zetterberg, Datsyuk, heck even Lidstrom was a 3rd rounder)

Say what you will about Holland, but few can doubt how well Detroit has drafted, especially with them drafting at the end of the rounds in recent years.

I'm gonna be the slightly skeptical wet blanket just because of the source. A guy that doesn't take s##t, plays a physical game and brings it his hardest every night - that stuff doesn't have any problems staying with him as he climbs the ladder. But this is the guy's best friend we're hearing from - surely there is a downside. If my best friend were a prospect, I wouldn't post weaknesses in his game on the boards either. Things like his shot and his speed will definitely have to be watched, because flaws in your skating and your shot will be exposed as you get into more and more competitive leagues. We'll see. I like that the Wings themselves think they have a sleeper, because they have the knack for finding those. Let's find out how he does in juniors, I'm definitely intrigued, but not gonna get all googly-eyed just yet.

Thanks for this B52, this guy sounds great and it will be interesting to see how he develops. Just think, if both Oslund and Matthias reach their full potential both skill wise and Physically we could have two guys on the same line that are fast, physical and both of them are over 6'3" and 220 pounds. :o

Don't be an idiot Hatch, you know damn well Kenny will never let that happen.

Don't be an idiot Hatch, you know damn well Kenny will never let that happen.

Oh believe me ive thought about that, but by the time these guys are hopefully ready to step into the Wings team im not expecting Holland to be here.

Edited by Hatcher#2

Oh believe me ive thought about that, but by the time these guys are hopefully ready to step into the Wings team im not expecting Holland to be here.

Hmmmm.... <_<

Are you trying to tell me something here Hatch? Should I expect to see your head popping up over the grassy knoll next time Kenny's driving past in an open-top car?