• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rice

Shanahan seeking a 2-yr deal at $5M/season

Rate this topic

MLive

And they’re hoping to learn soon, perhaps by today, whether forward Brendan Shanahan will accept their offer of a one-year contract for $4 million. Shanahan was in Los Angeles Tuesday, talking to the Kings, as he continues to explore the free-agent market.

$4 million dollars? When was the last time Shanahan did something in the playoffs again?

Does Holland have a brain?

That has to be a mis-print. God I hope that it was a mis-print. He did score 40 goals, but if Holland and Nill let him play that card for $4,000,000 I would be surprised/ shocked/ scared!

You have got to be kidding me. This goes beyond ridiculous. Great, let's spend all the available cap room on Shanahan. No wonder they're thinking of signing Hasek or Belfour. What money is going to be left over after giving Shanahan $4M out of the self-proposed $6M worth of cap room? Screw the 4th line grinder and depth d-man, there's no money for any of those players because Shanahan took a chunk of that money. Way to move on.

Good ol' Ozzie... Takin' that paycut so that true performers like Shanny can get 4 million... Yippie Skippie!

I guess 4 million for Shanny isn't that bad considering we are paying over a million for lilja

Either way holland is turning into a Stoopid Human!

You have got to be kidding me. This goes beyond ridiculous. Great, let's spend all the available cap room on Shanahan. No wonder they're thinking of signing Hasek or Belfour. What money is going to be left over after giving Shanahan $4M out of the self-proposed $6M worth of cap room? Screw the 4th line grinder and depth d-man, there's no money for any of those players because Shanahan took a chunk of that money. Way to move on.

Let me be the first one to suggest Holland will not be able to keep the intended $2 M reserve against the salary cap in case of injury this year (that's right, not this year either!).

Agreed, this is absurd.

FWIW, Greg Brady on WDFN said he's heard Shanahan is asking for $5.5M/yr. He won't get that anywhere. For a 37 year old winger who has been a playoff failure the last few years, any amount above the $2.28 he got last year is over paying. I'm comfortable with letting him walk, but the free agents who would have been a good replacement (Arnott, etc) has already signed elsewhere.

Also, the MLive story doesn't say the Wings offered Shanahan $4M, but that they would be unlikely to offer more than $4/yr. Khan could have gotten that number from conversations with Holland or from his own reading to the Wings' payroll.

Also, the MLive story doesn't say the Wings offered Shanahan $4M, but that they would be unlikely to offer more than $4/yr. Khan could have gotten that number from conversations with Holland or from his own reading to the Wings' payroll.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/stories/inde...0040.xml&coll=1

1. And they're hoping to learn soon, perhaps by today, whether forward Brendan Shanahan will accept their offer of a one-year contract for $4 million.

2. The Wings are making a strong push to keep him, but it appears unlikely they can offer more than $4 million a season.

so far holland was right about how he said there would be major changes to this team. we got rid of manny. stevie is gone, we are going to over pay another old fart, and not give a young guy a chance to play. good job holland i see u love being detroit.

Asking for $5.5m on the open market...won't happen...getting $4m from Holland...better not happen.

He is worth what he made last year as he hasn't shown up in the playoffs and he is getting old.

This is another example of Holland being "loyal" to a player at the expense of the team... see Robitaile, Hull and Hasek in 2003/2004.

I love Shanny, but that 4 mil would be better spent going to 4.5 long term on Gagne (RFA). Shanny is 37... and that is way to old for that kind of money. I would give him an incentive program. All indications in the past say that Shanny will perform in his contract year, and fall on his face the next.

Edited by NAVYWING

What is this lame brain thinking? Shanahan has been great for Detroit, but $4 mil?

Come on Kenny... time to wake up and realize the glory days are gone. Stevie retired and Larry Murphy is in the broadcast booth (he sucks by the way). McCarty has moved on to Calgary, though I'm sure you might overpay him when he's available next summer. Sergei is wasting away in Ohio and Marty Lapointe is laughing all the way to the bank.

You can't keep trying to relive the "Dynasty" years. Time to bring up the kids and see what they've got... time for some fresh faces in Hockeytown.

It's the new NHL Kenny... time for a new game plan.

$4 million dollars? When was the last time Shanahan did something in the playoffs again?

You don't think a 40 goal scorer is worth $4 million? And if we started paying people by how they did in the playoffs the only person getting paid would be Hank. We can't run all our players out of town like we did Manny and the market doesn't have a lot of great players on it so we might as well try to keep Shanny! Most of the decent players that we free-agents are already gone.

You don't think a 40 goal scorer is worth $4 million? And if we started paying people by how they did in the playoffs the only person getting paid would be Hank. We can't run all our players out of town like we did Manny and the market doesn't have a lot of great players on it so we might as well try to keep Shanny! Most of the decent players that we free-agents are already gone.

Not for a 37 year old in the new NHL. Shanny was grossly overpaid a few years ago before he took $2.28 M (with rollback). If Shanny wants to stay in Detroit, he needs to take a slight raise and move on... Why screw us on the cap? Shanny has been rewarded in the past with HUGE contracts. Unless he is in it just for the money... which seems very likely at this point.