• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rice

Shanahan seeking a 2-yr deal at $5M/season

Rate this topic

You don't think a 40 goal scorer is worth $4 million? And if we started paying people by how they did in the playoffs the only person getting paid would be Hank. We can't run all our players out of town like we did Manny and the market doesn't have a lot of great players on it so we might as well try to keep Shanny! Most of the decent players that we free-agents are already gone.

Bad playoffs for 3 yrs IN A ROW!!!!!!! This isn't some new phenomenon here. Shanahan should do the Wings a favor and sign elsewhere, save Ken Holland from himself because he clearly has no idea how to cut ties, if he signs for the $4mm/yr, he'll handicap the franchise.

Looks like management really did just sit around waiting for Shanahan all these days of free agency, and now that the good guys are gone...theyve fallen right into Shanny's plan.

4 million---------> :flush:

Let's see who we missed out on...

Barnaby 1 yr 625k

Guerin 1 yr 2mm (plus incentives)

Carney 2yrs/4.2mm (2.1mm/yr)

I understand the need to not join the bidding for the upper echelon of UFAs, but if you're trying to get more gritty guys, they can be had for cheap. Just shows Holland has NO IDEA how to operate in this new CBA...None

Barnaby 1 yr 625k

I understand the need to not join the bidding for the upper echelon of UFAs, but if you're trying to get more gritty guys, they can be had for cheap. Just shows Holland has NO IDEA how to operate in this new CBA...None

All would have been excellent pick ups, especially Guerin.

This big offer really has me wondering if Yzerman got into Holland's ear...."Kenny i think we've really gotta keep Brendan another year for the leadership transition". "Yeah, good point, you're right Steve!"

Holland needs to consult Joe Dumars so he can learn that after a certain point you have to let a guy walk. Let's not put all the blame on Holland yet, because this could be Mike Illitch doing this.

I think the most pathetic part of all this is that he thinks he can get more than 4M on the open market. Perhaps even more more pathetic is that he probably will. :ph34r:

Screw Shanahan. I hope to god some other team picks him up.

This big offer really has me wondering if Yzerman got into Holland's ear...."Kenny i think we've really gotta keep Brendan another year for the leadership transition". "Yeah, good point, you're right Steve!"

These huge offers to overpaying vets are so uncharacteristic of Holland!! :hehe:

Well, we better hope he performs like a $4,000,000 player. That means same performance as last season, carrying on into the playoffs.

The more I think about it, the more I believe Kahn received some bad information from his Red Wing sources. No other Wings "insider" is reporting that number. Unless Bendan has dirty pictures of Holland, you dont go from a stance of "small increase" to offering an increase of $2 mill.

I don't know, I think Holland was targeting some players in Free Agency but most have signed elsewhere because their team's General Managers aren't sitting on their hands like Holland is/was (waiting for negotiations with Lidstrom, waiting to hear from Yzerman, negotiations with Shanahan), then once those guys that he was targeting were all swept up (Arnott, Guerin, Barnaby etc.) he probably is a little nervous and doesn't want to lose his own players AND get nobody as a replacement. That's why he's probably offering that much to keep Shanahan interested. Granted, offering that much and not being able to get anybody else is a detriment to the team, but I don't think that Holland wants to come off looking like a complete buffoon (which he is, and offering Shanahan 4 mill just compounds that perception).

The more I think about it, the more I believe Kahn received some bad information from his Red Wing sources. No other Wings "insider" is reporting that number. Unless Bendan has dirty pictures of Holland, you dont go from a stance of "small increase" to offering an increase of $2 mill.

This offer could very well be the result of Holland turning desperate after being turned down by other UFA's and being unable to work out a trade.

This offer could very well be the result of Holland turning desperate after being turned down by other UFA's and being unable to work out a trade.

But then...why couldnt he justify paying Guerin 2.25M?? It may just look like numbers to us, but to Billy G thats an extra $250,000. Either he had his heart set on going to St. Louis or Holland didnt want to pay that. To me, that says Holland still thinks Shanahan is a superstar in this league and worlds better than Guerin to be offering him that much and not offering Guerin around 2M.

All I gotta say is Holland better be working on trades. Im sick of hearing how "we only have 6M available cap space" blah blah blah. When trading any combination of Schneider, Lang, Williams, and Maltby (probably hard to do), could free up a good chunk of space.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

That's certainly possible, but Detroit hasnt been linked to any UFA offers accept for Elias. Aside from that, there has been no mention (from local media or national) of them actively pursuing a Guerin or Parrish or anyone else considered to be top 6 winger that has signed.

Hahaha

This guy is out of his mind.

Where are the Hollands is the best posters?

If he is gonna pay Shanny this much this year what do you think Datz will want next year? Or Zetterburg the year after?

This man is nuts and will not be able to afford any of our young stars in a few years if he spends this kind of money on past prime vets.

This is complete nonsense due to some miscommunication. Holland is NOT this stupid. Shanny gets older, doesn't do a darn thing in the playoffs, and he gets more money than last year? what? :lol:

Hahaha

This guy is out of his mind.

Where are the Hollands is the best posters?

If he is gonna pay Shanny this much this year what do you think Datz will want next year? Or Zetterburg the year after?

This man is nuts and will not be able to afford any of our young stars in a few years if he spends this kind of money on past prime vets.

Thats a good point. Undoubtedly Datsyuk would use that in negotiations - how willing he was to throw 4M at Shanahana.

As for Zetterberg, we have him locked up at 2.65 for the next three years. So I guess Holland still has somewhat of a brain, either that or Zetterbergs agent doesnt.

This is complete nonsense due to some miscommunication. Holland is NOT this stupid. Shanny gets older, doesn't do a darn thing in the playoffs, and he gets more money than last year? what? :lol:

Not just more money, but $2 mill........a raise like that for a player turning 38 is unprecedented. That's why I think this number by Kahn is wrong.

But then...why couldnt he justify paying Guerin 2.25M?? It may just look like numbers to us, but to Billy G thats an extra $250,000. Either he had his heart set on going to St. Louis or Holland didnt want to pay that. To me, that says Holland still thinks Shanahan is a superstar in this league and worlds better than Guerin to be offering him that much and not offering Guerin around 2M.

All I gotta say is Holland better be working on trades. Im sick of hearing how "we only have 6M available cap space" blah blah blah. When trading any combination of Schneider, Lang, Williams, and Maltby (probably hard to do), could free up a good chunk of space.

Maybe Guerin prefered to join his buddies Weight and Tkachuk? Could be anything really. I think you are probably right about Holland overestimating Shanahan though. You always read that Holland was working on some trades at the deadline, the off season etc, but the reason nothing happens is always the asking price. It sure would be interesting to see some of those trade proposals. I get the feeling that Holland's love for his players make him blind. Every team can't be asking for Zetterberg, every time. Surely some day, he should be able to work out a trade, wouldn't you think?

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Not for a 37 year old in the new NHL. Shanny was grossly overpaid a few years ago before he took $2.28 M (with rollback). If Shanny wants to stay in Detroit, he needs to take a slight raise and move on... Why screw us on the cap? Shanny has been rewarded in the past with HUGE contracts. Unless he is in it just for the money... which seems very likely at this point.

Well, I am of the mind that given the opportunity to play for Detroit I would certainly try to help out the team by signing for less if I were in Shanny's shoes. However, I have never read anywhere that any team must swear its loyalty to a player or vice versa. If you had two job opportunities and one offered to pay you 2 million more per year, I wonder just how easy it would be for you to walk away from the bigger paycheck. Your comment about Shanny being rewarded with huge contracts in the past is pretty lame in my opinion. One could respond by saying he helped reward us with 3 Stanley Cups.

If you want to get your panties bunched up over this situation you should be pointing your finger at Holland. Oh yeah, and by the way I have yet to see where this is actually a confirmed offer so let's not bite Holland's head off yet.

I can't believe how irate folks get about speculation, and probably piss poor speculation at that. The funny thing here is that nobody is pissed off at just one side, they're all pissed off at Holland AND Shanahan and there hasn't even been a deal struck.

I don't think Shanahan deserves 4 million dollars at this point but it's pretty damned hard to argue with his production. His point totals certainly warrant the money. How he has performed in the playoffs doesn't matter to pretty much anybody but fans. Players get paid for racking up points in the regular season. They don't not get paid less for playoff failure, they either get cut loose or traded.

Hell, we paid Lidstrom 7.6 millon per for two more years. He'll be freaking 39 years old then. I don't see people bitching about that.

If we paid people based on playoff performance our payroll would be the lowest in the league. People need to get real and get with the program. Pickings for bonafide scorers are slim. Shanahan showed last year he still can produce. The argument that he's older doesn't hold much water, face it it just doesn't. Production is production. Who cares if 40 goals comes from a 37 year old or a 27 year old. I don't think the puck can discern who is bashing it into the back of the net.

I hope Shanny sticks around and I hope he doesn't cost more than 3 million. But the arguments i'm hearing for why he doesn't deserve more are plain stupid. Still, its nice to see how cavalier folks get this time of year with other people's money. Yup, everyone out there is a philanthropist on par with the Gateses or Warren Buffett.

Barnaby 1 yr 625k

I agree that Guerin would have been a nice pickup. However, your argument is another one that just baffles me. So Holland should be hanged for offering a 40 goal scorer, coming off an 81 point season 4 million a year but it'd be a great pickup to pay a guy over 2 million who absolutely hit the s*** tank last year? ummm.....i don't get it.

this post was meant for Barnes

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

geez... 4million, Datsyuk dosent even make that much. everybody talks s*** about dats making too much $$, well at least he's not a 37 year old aging powerforward thats lost his physical edge.

if holland signs shanny to a $4million contract i will loose all faith in him.... then on top of this talk he is thinking of signing belfour or hasek.... we definatley need to get rid of him (and people thought legace sucks..... what the hell is a 50year old goalie going to bring to this team)

Right out of the Detroit News................."General manager Ken Holland hopes to hear from Brendan Shanahan 's agent today or Thursday. Shanahan, a free-agent forward, is attracting interest from St. Louis, Boston, the Rangers, Montreal and Toronto.

The Wings are offering Shanahan a slight raise above the $2.18 million he made last season.

Who came up with 4 Mil???