• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rice

Shanahan seeking a 2-yr deal at $5M/season

Rate this topic

ACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

That's about all I can say right now...

Is Holland in an "I can't believe Yzerman retired 2 days ago" Funk

It's only considered a funk if normally you are good ,but right now you are not. Holland never was good. Illich's wallet was good.

Resign Lilja and Sam????????????????????? Before we got to see their playoff ability??????????? But I'm sure Babcock had an influence on resigning them two bumbs.

Does anyone know what Gagne is asking for? Would much rather they invest that 4 mill into him.

Did anyone mention there's a report out of Montreal today which states that Rick Curran bascially confirms the Det News article today, 6 teams are bidding for Shanny, and that the Bruins are the front runners at 2yrs/9.8mm :blink:

The same report also says that Boston is out of the running "according to quite an informed source" and that the Blues and the Red Wings are the most likely desitnations for Shanny. Here's the translated article (thanks to Babelfish!) -

"Friday July 07, the 2006 - (RDS.ca) - agent of Brendan Shanahan, Rick Curran, entrusted to the daily newspaper Detroit News which its customer studied the proposal of six teams and which a decision on her future will probably not come before the beginning the next week. Bruins of Boston seem most aggressive, since it is reported that they would consider to quote of 9,8 $ per two years with the large left winger.

The rumours differ according to publications' since according to a quite informed source, the possibility of seeing Shanahan signing with Bruins are now null, report one in Boston Herald which supports that the Blues of Saint Louis and Red Wings would be the two teams which would negotiate more to attract the services of the 37 year old player.

To return from there to the daily newspaper of Detroit, the Canadian would be at the height of the race, just like Kings of Los Angeles. The two teams would be ready to cross the course of the 4 M $ per season for the services of the 37 year old attacker, which gained 2,28 M $ last season.

As regards Red Wings, they would have quoted two with Shanahan: a one year pact to 4 M $ or another one two years duration which would pay to him a little less annually.

Last year, Shanahan knew its best season from the marketing year 1996-97, its first with Wings, marking 40 goals in more of collecting 41 assistances for 81 points in 82 meetings. "

Here's the link to the original French article - 5 M $ pour Shanahan?

Edited by Yzermania19

Guest ontariowingsfan

Worth every penny--NOBODY hits the post as hard Shanny... :thumbup:

Your post made me laugh out loud

ahahahhahhahahhahahahah

AMEN to that!! My desire for the Wings to re-sign Shanny has nothing to do with sentimentality. It has to do with the way he's played for the Wings since coming here in 1996, his leadership qualities and his will to win. He has been, and still is, one of the best players on this team in the last 10 years. No, he has not had good playoffs the past few years but tell me exactly how many Red Wings have?? I mean, there is a reason we haven't won the Cup since 2002.

And like you said, this team is going to need some strong veteran leadership without Stevie. Shanny has been a team captain in the past and he's worn the A since coming to Detroit. He's a strong contender to wear the C next season but regardless of whether he gets it or it's given to Lids or someone else, his leadership will be needed and called upon. Shanny brings the rare combination of scoring, leadership and physicality that this team really needs.

The pressing issue is in goal. With Holland considering Belfour and Hasek, we have a real problem. The team dumps Manny because he choked in the playoffs and looked rather mentally shaky while doing it, raising questions of whether he's cut out to be a #1 goalie in the NHL. Fine. So Holland says he will replace him. But Belfour or Hasek?? A shaky Legace would be better than BOTH of those guys! Yes, there were good goalies in their day (note the past tense "were"), but at 41, their best years are in the rear view mirror. Both have been oft injured in the last few seasons, although Dom was having a phenomenal season with the Senators before he got hurt. I just can't believe Holland thinks these are our two best options in goal.

Shanahan has been hit-or-miss over the last few regular seasons, and has been invisible in the playoffs. Good players, good leaders, show up when the game's on the line. Shanahan hasn't.

How many Red Wings have had good playoffs the last few years? Quite simply, not nearly enough. Which is why changes need to be made! If it doesn't work the first time, doesn't work the second time, and doesn't work the third time, what possibly makes Holland think it's going to work the next time?

With Yzerman retiring, it's time to usher in the new blood, not recirculate the rest of the old. No #19 = New era.

Goaltending really is a problem, yeah. I'd take Legace over Belfour or Hasek any day too.

This "grit", "heart" and "desire" the pro-Shanahan contingent is talking about is fleeting.....it comes and goes depending on Shanahan. My favorite Shanahan moment was when he pushed a Duck player out of the way and scored in O.T during the playoffs.....the problem is that's almost a decade ago. He rarely shows that strength or force in his game now. He's been invisible in the playoffs as many times as Datsyuk's been in the league. Shanahan represents the staleness that has come to personify the Wings right now. Even during his prime in Detroit he was never the physical presence a Tkachuck, Guerin, Bertuzzi or Neely were in their respective primes, but he was strong and nasty enough to compliment his offensive talent. That has all but gone. I'd rather move on and not bring Shanahan back under any number.

Brilliant! Couldn't have said it better myself.

if holland gives him 4 million, hes an idiot... get rid of shannys salrary and get a good damn #1 goalie cuz we need it.. we don't want old men playing in net

Exactly, I don't understand Holland's fascination with bringing in 80 year old players...ie Shannahan (4 mil is beyond crazy) and Ed Belfour( :blink: )

Wow, if this is true Holland is a genious. Let's look at the players we've signed so far:

Lilja

Sammuelson

Osgood

(Shanahan)

(Belfour)

Wow, it takes a real man to make these kinds of moves. The problem is now Holland doesn't have Illitch's wallet to hide behind, and he is trying to hang on to something that has won in the past "old NHL"...please fire him now. Make Yzerman or some random fan the new GM...

Shanahan's like a little girl asking for a pony for her birthday.

What kind of crap is this? Is Shanny deserving of the same money as such guys as Kovalchuk, Jokinen, and Tanguay? Oh I think I can answer that, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

TSN says Shanahan is asking for $5M a year.

Seriously! Talk overestimating your market price ! if no one willing to offer you more than 4 in what world would they give you 5. The guy is 37 yrs old and 40 goals in the regular season should be overshadowed by 0 in the playoffs

If he wants that much he is just hurting the team and then should be kicked to the curb

Edited by Devereaux_21

40 goals in the regular season should be overshadowed by 0 in the playoffs

He had 1! Streaming in from the blue line, he shoots, he scoooooores. Wings lost that game 3-2, Zetterberg had the late goal.

There are too many conflicting reports out. Some articles say the Blues and Bruins are out of the running, some say they're in. Guess we just have to wait and see.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

TSN says Shanahan is asking for $5M a year.

I saw that and my initial reaction was "NO. Screw 'im."

Let him go, Kenny. Let him go.

Apparently the Rangers are also in the running for his post hitting exploits, less of a chance he'll land here?

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/range...arry_brooks.htm

Hey, I wouldn't mind if the Rangers signed him. Would give me a good reason to see more Rangers games.

Apparently the Rangers are also in the running for his post hitting exploits, less of a chance he'll land here?

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/range...arry_brooks.htm

It is believed that Shanahan has offers of between $3.25-$3.5M from the Rangers

That is about what he is worth but even that may be high. IMHO that is the best place for him. Let Jagr do the work and he can get points off of him.

If Shanny is asking for 5 mill per, watch Holland now up his offer from 4 mill to 4.5. Shanny is playing him like a fiddle.

I dont remember the exact words, but remember when Holland about a month ago said he'd like to re-sign Shanny if it was for a good and reasonable number for both sides?

He had 1! Streaming in from the blue line, he shoots, he scoooooores. Wings lost that game 3-2, Zetterberg had the late goal.

There are too many conflicting reports out. Some articles say the Blues and Bruins are out of the running, some say they're in. Guess we just have to wait and see.

Yeah I remember how excited he was after that goal...

I thought 4 mil was way to much, 5 million Ridiculous

Unbelievable, if this is true Holland better tell this greedy ass where to go. Lidstrom and Ozzy take hometown discounts so that Holland has a little extra cash to use and this guy uses it all up when he knows that the team needs to improve in other positions. He doesn't even need the money. I wouldn't really be bothered if the guy showed up in the playoffs and earned his money but he doesn't. $3 million sounds about right to me. I hope he goes to the Rangers or the Habs or at the very least Holland should sign him and then trade him in a package deal to the Habs for Komisarek and Souray.