• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
norrisnick

Grigorenko Update

Rate this topic

IPB Image

On doctor’s advice Igor Grigorenko makes his jumps at half-strength, so as not to strain his left leg.

Igor Grigorenko: My daughter has a whole store of toys!

Igor Grigorenko is probably Togliatti’s most famous hockey player. The athlete spent two past seasons outside his native city, playing for Salavat Yulaev and Severstal. And now, after a year and a half of separation, the forward has come back to Lada. Closer to his wife and one year-old daughter.

Sports Ice Palace “Volgar†is awkwardly empty in the middle of the summer. The athletes walking back and forth in their gear are the only reminder of big time hockey. Yet another practice session of Lada is in its apex. The sessions are conducted in three stages: first one hour on the ice, then – gym and cycling.

Short and sturdy Grigorenko is visibly different from his teammates. Igor is nonchalantly walking around the gym, looking at the equipment:

“Alexander Gennadeyvich, how many press exercises do I do?†– consults Grigorenko with second trainer Alexander Nesterov. And having received recommendations honestly performs the abs muscle exercises.

When the entire team begins the jump exercises Igor limits him self to a light leg workout:

“I am prohibited from jumping. It’s additional strain on the injured leg. The effects of the accident are still being felt – legs ache sometimes.â€Â

Now Grigorenko can boldly consider him self a fully rightful member of the roster. But three years ago his career could have been finished forever. In May of 2003 Igor was in a car wreck. Thirteen days Grigorenko fought for his life, while in a coma. And a fit young body claimed victory. Grigorenko survived and only six months later was on the ice once again. But it was difficult for the player to find his old form. At that time, NHL stars were playing for [Lada] and Grigorenko did not have a chance to make the club roster. Petr Vorobiev, then Lada’s coach, sent Igor to Salavat Yulaev.

“I was sent to Ufa without my knowledge, - remembers Grigorenko. – But the trip to Salavat was only for my own benefit. I knew that I would have more ice time.â€Â

Gradually Igor began getting in shape and soon became a real leader of Salavat. And then he turned out to be the best sniper of the Cherepovets Severstal, he was invited to the national team. Not the smallest role in the forming of this new life was played by Igor’s future spouse Oksana.

“We are always together with her, - confesses Igor. – Even when Oksana was pregnant she still lived with me in Ufa. She left for Togliatti to receive medical consultations and then again came back to Ufa.â€Â

Igor and Oksana got married when Grigorenko was playing for Salavat.

“A full-fledged wedding with all the traditions did not happen, - complains the player. – I was constantly traveling: games, camps, practices. Oksana was nearing an important point in her pregnancy and when there was a break in the season we just signed the papers.â€Â

Several months later Igor had a daughter. The girl was named Sasha.

“In Cherepovets I began to miss my family, my baby, and Oksana came to me with my parents and my daughter. But after two months I sent them back to Togliatti myself. The ecosystem in Cherepovets is nonexistent! Besides, I was living not far from a steel mill.â€Â

The birth of little Sasha changed Igor’s life. Grigorenko was taking being away from his loved ones hard. The player doesn’t conceal the fact that the key factor in his transfer to Lada was his family.

“I’ve had enough of traveling around cities! – confesses Igor. – Besides, I wanted to be together with my daughter. Is she supposed to recognize me from pictures? When I played for Severstal I called my parents and my wife every day. I call them before every game – it’s somewhat of a ritual.â€Â

Grigorenko is a model family man. After every practice he tries to get back home as soon as possible.

“I am ready to do anything for the well-being of my family, - says Igor. – I think that I changed, became more serious and composed.â€Â

Dad tries to pamper his one year-old daughter with presents.

“There is a whole store of plush toys in the house. So many, we could start selling them! – smiles Igor. – Now Sasha became calmer, but before she used to be boisterous. She could easily wake us up in the middle of the night. And even now she can create chaos. I am forced to verbally explain that she can’t do that. And if she doesn’t understand, I may smack her on the soft spot.â€Â

Artem Lisovsky

Komsomolskaya Pravda - Samara

July 29th, 2006

Original source.

http://samara.kp.ru/2006/07/29/doc128511/

Grig's current team Lada Togliatti has again (for the 7th consecutive year) won traditional pre-season 'Lada Cup' tournament. Igor was amazing in all three games and got best sniper award with 6 points (4G+2A).

My guess is that its not only family reasons he's signed with Lada again. Last year new management team of Lada Car Plants has dramatically cut hockey club budget and majority of veterans left the team for better life elsewhere. Clearly understanding the importance of this season for him to sign with Red Wings next year (...or forget about NHL eternally...), this second stint with Lada would definitely give him more ice time, leading role amongst extremely young players, and provide more room to be in a much better shape to head to North America next fall... If it's still his wish to go overseas...

Grig's current team Lada Togliatti has again (for the 7th consecutive year) won traditional pre-season 'Lada Cup' tournament. Igor was amazing in all three games and got best sniper award with 6 points (4G+2A).

My guess is that its not only family reasons he's signed with Lada again. Last year new management team of Lada Car Plants has dramatically cut hockey club budget and majority of veterans left the team for better life elsewhere. Clearly understanding the importance of this season for him to sign with Red Wings next year (...or forget about NHL eternally...), this second stint with Lada would definitely give him more ice time, leading role amongst extremely young players, and provide more room to be in a much better shape to head to North America next fall... If it's still his wish to go overseas...

thanks for this, very good insight. i hope he makes the jump to the wings' roster next season because there have been far too many great things written about this guy for us to lose the chance to see what he can really do in the NHL.

Am I the only one who was a little disturbed by this part:

When the entire team begins the jump exercises Igor limits him self to a light leg workout:

“I am prohibited from jumping. It’s additional strain on the injured leg. The effects of the accident are still being felt – legs ache sometimes.â€Â

I thought he had fully recovered from the accident?

Am I the only one who was a little disturbed by this part:

I thought he had fully recovered from the accident?

I'm equally -- if not more -- concerned by this:

“I’ve had enough of traveling around cities! – confesses Igor. – Besides, I wanted to be together with my daughter. Is she supposed to recognize me from pictures? When I played for Severstal I called my parents and my wife every day. I call them before every game – it’s somewhat of a ritual.â€Â

Grigorenko is a model family man. After every practice he tries to get back home as soon as possible.

“I am ready to do anything for the well-being of my family, - says Igor. – I think that I changed, became more serious and composed.â€Â

If he didn't like traveling around Russia, how is he going to deal with being on one of the easternmost teams in the Western Conference? Also, it sounds like the only way he's coming here is if his whole family comes.

I'm equally -- if not more -- concerned by this:

If he didn't like traveling around Russia, how is he going to deal with being on one of the easternmost teams in the Western Conference? Also, it sounds like the only way he's coming here is if his whole family comes.

Then lets get them all over here. I'm sure we can afford a few extra plane tickets.