• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Systemfel

Johan Ryno

Rate this topic

Hey, I'm sure all of you know Red Wings prospect Johan Ryno. He's a hulking (6-5) right winger with some sweet stickhandling.

After the 2005/2006 season, Ryno signed a two-year deal with Swedish top team Frölunda, a team famous for making young players succeed.

According to Frölunda's coaching staff, Ryno will play with feisty veteran (and team clown, just look here) Jonas Esbjörs and very experienced centerman and team captain Jonas Johnson. Ever since Finnish sniper Tomi Kallio arrived from North America in January, 2003, Johnson played with him and former minor-leaguer and team MVP Niklas Andersson on a feared top-unit. It'll be interesting to see what influence the captain will have on Ryno.

Now to my intent with this thread. I was thinking I could be using it to report on Ryno during the season. Since he plays for my SEL team, I obviously will see a lot of him.

A few pix of Ryno making his first on-ice practice:

Listening to the coach

Ryno in the middle

Ryno with huge d-man Tomi Pettinen

Pix courtesy of wildwestsupport.se...

Edited by Systemfel

He's supposed to earn a spot on any of the top 3 lines. Nice that he'll be playing on the same team as fellow Wings prospect, Anton Axelsson. From what I read from a Frolunda fan on another site, Ryno has terrific offensive tools and is good in his own end as well. He is willing to pay the price to score a goal but doesn't dish out hits himself. He's still filling into his frame so once that happens, he could develop his game into a more charge-the-net type and turn into a power forward. Right now he has all the tools to be a solid two-way player.

http://files.upl.silentwhisper.net/upload9/henke-13-1200.jpg <-- The giant shooting on Lundqvist is our boy. Likely from the same practice. This shot is from the Frolunda fan on another board.

Thanks for keeping us posted, Systemfel.

Doea anyone know if the Wings are planning on bring him over to play in the rookie tournament this year? it would be interesting to see how he performs.

I really really doubt it. Kid is definetly still a kid. In 2 years probably, but unless hes completly outstanding in 2006 don't expect him over here till 08 or 09.

Well... Frölunda has now played two games of the Nordic Trophy pre-season tournament. In the opening game Ryno couldn't help seeing his team collapse against Kärpät in Oulu, Finland. Frölunda took an enormous beating and lost 9-0.

Today Ryno played on a line with '82 born Karl Fabricius (who almost signed with Philly in June) and '84 born Edmonton center prospect Fredrik Johansson. Don't know how well Johan played in that game, but he went pointless as his team lost 5-4. Too bad the coaching staff (including former NHLer Calle Johansson) didn't stick him with speedy 5-foot-5 Steve Kariya who he seemingly found some chemistry with during the first game... Those two looked hilarious skating together because of the size differnce. :cool:

Edited by Systemfel

Frölunda played their fourth game of the pre-season today, losing to Swedish champions Färjestad. Playing with vet Jonas Esbjörs and 16-year-old Dane Mikkel Bödker on the Red Unit, Ryno scored Frölunda's second goal in the game. That goal put Frölunda a goal behind heading into the third, but Färjestad scored TWO shorthanded goals and went on to win 5-3.

Also, a note: Ryno's playing with #61 on his back, since his favorite number (19) is retired by Frölunda. :cool:

Frölunda played their fourth game of the pre-season today, losing to Swedish champions Färjestad. Playing with vet Jonas Esbjörs and 16-year-old Dane Mikkel Bödker on the Red Unit, Ryno scored Frölunda's second goal in the game. That goal put Frölunda a goal behind heading into the third, but Färjestad scored TWO shorthanded goals and went on to win 5-3.

Also, a note: Ryno's playing with #61 on his back, since his favorite number (19) is retired by Frölunda. :cool:

Ohhh upside down. Tricky and it'll work once he hits the Wings too. Thanks for the updates!

Last night Frölunda beat Finish HIFK at home, 5-2 was the final score. On former Tampa center Martin Cibák's 1-0 goal, Ryno got an assist along with Jonas Esbjörs. This was a power-play goal. Ryno was at the halfboards, then passed it to Esbjörs in the corner. Esbjörs skated forward a bit and set up Cibák with a beautiful feed.

Ryno also got a game misconduct. This was during a Frölunda PP too. Ryno crashed the net after a point shot from Dallas prospect Jonas Fransson, and just barely touched HIFK goalie Janne Lundell. Then some idiot on HIFK just jumped Ryno from behind and cross-checked him in the neck. A brawl (with gloves on) started. The idiot who cross-checked Ryno got ejected for cross-checking. That was perfectly fine. But then, Ryno was thrown out of the game as well. For CHARGING. How can a player get ejected for just touching the opposing goalie? Stupid, gutless, Swedish refs...

Edited by Systemfel

Frölunda faced Finnish team Tappara on Friday night. Steve Kariya scored the 2-1 GW for Frölunda after 16 secs of OT. Ryno had another strong showing with four shots on goal. He was held off the scoresheet, though...

Some pix:

Ryno crashing the net along with Jonas Johnson

Ryno and the captain complaining a pretty suspect offside call

Ryno crashing the net again

Saluting the crowd at the end

Ryno on the backcheck

Piece of junk

Pics courtesy of Fredrik Holmblad.

Edited by Systemfel

OK, so speaking of Ryno, just how do you pronounce his name? RAI-noh? REE-no? I've wondered this for a while.

It may also be something closer to say Roo-noh. The Y can have a touch of 'u' in it over there. Like Lydman (Lidman) turned into Lewdman when he went to Buffalo. Though he is Finnish, but sometimes the names get crossed over like the Salo's.

Well this is what I got as an answer over at HFBoards.

Well, here's my attempt at a transcription:

YOH-hun REW-noh

Notes:

* A Swedish j is always pronounced as the y in "yes".

* The first o should be long.

* The a should be short, like the u in "stun.

* The r should be rolling (with the exception of certain dialects).

* As Krm500 pointed out, the y is close to the German ü (or the French ue sound).

I transcribed it ew as in "few", but it's really the middle of that diphtong I'm getting at.

Try saing ee and as you say it, slowly form your mouth to say oo.

If you stop halfway you should find the Swedish y, or at least be very close to it.

If it doesn't work, I suggest you go with the ee sound and say "Reeno".

* I'm not entirely sure how the last o should be pronounced ("Ryno" isn't a exactly a common name), but when I say it, it sounds kind of like the o in a British "not".

Could be I prounounce it wrong and it should be more like the oo in "good".

Try saing ee and as you say it, slowly form your mouth to say oo.

That's pretty much exactly the directions I got from my French teacher in high school. Boy do you sound Frenchy when you start doing that. Monsieur Granger was always trying to have us get rid of our American accents when speaking French and that is a great way to start sounding European.

I'm really high on Ryno. The kid has great size and plays on both ends, and isn't scared of getting knocked around. Thank you for the updates and I can't wait to see him in North America in another year or two.

Opening night at 1 PM EST for Frölunda! They'll play away against Linköping, now featuring former NHL goaltender Roman Cechmanek.

Frölunda shook up their lines after losing in the last pre-season game (against Malmö), hence Johan Ryno will be playing with Swiss National Team center Martin Plüss and young, undrafted winger Patrik Carlsson (please don't draft him, NHL, he'll be good :)).

Some pics from the Malmö game:

Ryno playing defense?

Ryno gets an assist on the 1-0 goal

He's not afraid of crashing the net!

Ryno's new centerman

A former linemate of Ryno's, Jonas Esbjörs, doing his thing :)

Ryno should've gotten another assist, but the goal was waved off since some Malmö player displaced the net... :rolleyes:

Pictures courtesy of Fredrik Holmblad.

Edited by Systemfel

This kid's looked promising ever since draft day. Can't wait to see him come to NA for tryouts. If he lives up to his hype he will be exactly what we need.

If we can also get Grigs to pan out... we'd be in good shape.

Ryno - Zetterberg - Hudler

<some LW> - Datsyuk - Grigorenko