• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

It is the last year, because next year he will have to clear waivers, and there's no way that's happening.

Mursak is a gem, been saying it for years. Very dynamic hockey player.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#122 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:57 PM

I had a sudden vision come to me earlier that the Wings had a third line of Cleary-Andersson-Mursak and they were the among the top 3 third lines in the NHL. Not bad.

#123 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:35 PM

Posted Image

http://www.mlive.com...picks_up_h.html

GRAND RAPIDS -- Jan Mursak doesn't particularly enjoy speaking to the media after practice or games.

He prefers to let his play do the talking.

"I'm normally a pretty shy person, especially when I have to talk," Mursak said. "English is not my first language. I got better at it, I'm a little more comfortable talking."

Truth be told, the 22-year-old Slovenian's English is just fine. But it's his output on the ice that might get people talking.

Mursak leads the Grand Rapids Griffins with four goals and is tied for first with seven points through the season's first seven games.

The forward also owns a four-game point streak that is one shy of his career high.

Mursak, who was drafted 182nd overall in the 2006 NHL draft by the parent club Detroit Red Wings, is looking to take another step in his development after last season's drastic improvement.

After recording only two goals and seven assists in 51 games during his rookie year, Mursak's production jumped to 24 goals (second on the team), 18 assists and a plus-12 rating in 79 games last season.

"I've had a pretty good start. The years before, I had a slow start, nothing went my way really," he said. "But this year, it looks like pucks are going in.

Mursak, who was a point-per-game player for two years in the Ontario Hockey League, said he wasn't as prepared as he should have been when he made the leap to the American Hockey League in 2008.

"I didn't know about the 80 games, bad road trips. I don't think I was mentally and physically ready for all that," he said. "But I was working extra hard in the summer and got way stronger in the gym, and I think it's paying off so far."

Griffins coach Curt Fraser wasn't surprised Mursak jumped out to a strong start.

"That's what we expect out of him. Remember, the first year with this kid, he had chances every night he played, but he couldn't find the back of the net," Fraser said. "But he didn't stop working, off the ice and in the gym. He didn't let things bother him, he just kept moving forward."

Mursak's biggest asset always has been speed, which helps him create scoring chances even on the penalty kill. His two short-handed goals are tied for the league lead this season.

The biggest knock has been his size and strength, but Mursak (5-foot-11, 192 pounds) worked with a trainer this summer to ensure that area no longer is a concern.

If he continues to flash a deft scoring touch, Mursak might even earn his first NHL call-up later this season.

"I think I'm making smarter plays, I'm hanging onto the puck a little longer. I used to get rid of it pretty quick my first year, even last year," he said. "This year, I'm trying to perfect it better and kind of thinking before I do stuff, 'What am I going to do?' It's a good thing.

"During the season, we learn new stuff. You see what plays you can make, what's good, what's not good. I think I still have a lot to learn."

As long as Mursak continues to work hard, Fraser will reward him with ice time.

"I don't bench anybody," Fraser said. "I just go with the guys that are going."

E-mail Michael Zuidema: mzuidema@grpress.com and follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/michaelzuidema

#124 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:28 AM

Curt Fraser on Mursak's GWG last night:

"Mursak's goal was...you know...will be on the highlight tape for the year...great goal".

:siren:

Edited by Aussie_Wing, 09 December 2010 - 08:31 AM.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#125 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:07 AM

Whoa... I need to see this goal. Like now.

#126 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:22 AM

Whoa... I need to see this goal. Like now.

Well for now you can be content with listening to it.

My link

:)

Edited by Aussie_Wing, 09 December 2010 - 10:22 AM.

#127 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

Well for now you can be content with listening to it.

My link

:)

I appreciate the efforts man. It's just not the same.

#128 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

It's a nice goal. Way overblown in my mind but still a good goal. I mean, damn, it was like Helm a guy with real solid finishing ability. To be honest, I'm a little more impressed with the pass by Tatar. But that's just me and I'm a passer when I play.

At 2:36

#129 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

It's a nice goal. Way overblown in my mind but still a good goal. I mean, damn, it was like Helm a guy with real solid finishing ability. To be honest, I'm a little more impressed with the pass by Tatar. But that's just me and I'm a passer when I play.

Heck of a play between those two though, and the finish at high speed by Mursak with a defender right on his tail, excellent stuff. These two really are great prospects. :thumbup:

#130 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:57 PM

To me what is impressive is the fact that Mursaks knock in the past was his strength but on that play he had a guy draped over his back yanking at him and he still buried.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#131 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:15 AM

Mursak played in 14 games and impressed coach Mike Babcock with his speed and competitiveness.

"Hes earned our confidence," Babcock said. Theres two parts of it. Not only do you have to believe you can play, we have to think you can play. And we believe that. His speed is a huge asset, he seems to have good hockey sense, he seems to know how to play with and without the puck. Hell be an NHL player."

http://www.mlive.com...est_rechar.html

#132 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:53 AM

^ Thanks for sharing.

I LOVED reading that, brought a big smile to my face. I've been so impressed with him during his stint, he played so well again last night, should've had an assist on a Franzen blown chance. He is so, so strong along the boards, he always wins battles sheerly because of his intensity and desire. He's going to be a very good player for this organisation. :thumbup:

#133 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

With the way helm is stepping up offensively, i would love to see Mursak turn out exactly like Helm, but the reality is, Mursak has a bit of a better chance to be better offensively. I say a bit better because in the NHL is a completely different beast than the AHL and Helm has shown to be able to create the offensive chances in the NHL and Mursak hasn't been giving the opportunity yet to do so.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".