• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
betterREDthandead

2006 ALCS: Tigers vs. A's

Rate this topic

The Yankees are sooooooooooooo half an hour ago. They're out like the fat kid in dodgeball. Time for the Tigers to focus on Oakland - unfortunately, despite the better record, the A's have the home field advantage. Here's the schedule and the pitching matchups, with regular season and playoff stats included.

Gm. 1 - Tue., October 10, 8 PM ET - Detroit @ Oakland

Probables: Barry Zito (16-10, 3.83; 1-0, 1.12) vs. Nate Robertson (13-13, 3.84; 0-1, 11.12)

Gm. 2 - Wed., October 11, TBD - Detroit @ Oakland

Probables: Esteban Loaiza (11-9, 4.89; 0-0, 3.60) vs. Justin Verlander (17-9, 3.63; 0-0, 5.06)

Gm. 3 - Fri., October 13, 8 PM ET - Oakland @ Detroit

Probables: Kenny Rogers (17-8, 3.84; 1-0, 0.00) vs. Rich Harden (4-0, 4.24; 0-0, 0.00)

Gm. 4 - Sat., October 14, 7:30 PM ET - Oakland @ Detroit

Probables: Jeremy Bonderman (14-8, 4.08; 1-0, 2.16) vs. Danny Haren (14-13, 4.12, 1-0, 3.00)

Gm. 5 - Sun., October 15, 4 PM ET - Oakland @ Detroit*

Probables: Nate Robertson (13-13, 3.84; 0-1, 11.12) vs. Barry Zito (16-10, 3.83; 1-0, 1.12)

Gm. 6 - Tue., October 17, 8 PM ET - Detroit @ Oakland*

Probables: Esteban Loaiza (11-9, 4.89; 0-0, 3.60) vs. Justin Verlander (17-9, 3.63; 0-0, 5.06)

Gm. 7 - Wed., October 18, 8 PM ET - Detroit @ Oakland*

Probables: Danny Haren (14-13, 4.12, 1-0, 3.00) vs. Kenny Rogers (17-8, 3.84; 1-0, 0.00)

*if necessary

Tigers in 6 :D:D:D

Gm. 1 - Tue., October 10, 8 PM ET - Detroit @ Oakland

Gm. 2 - Wed., October 11, TBD - Detroit @ Oakland

Gm. 3 - Fri., October 13, 8 PM ET - Oakland @ Detroit

Gm. 4 - Sat., October 14, 7:30 PM ET - Oakland @ Detroit

Gm. 5 - Sun., October 15, 4 PM ET - Oakland @ Detroit

Gm. 6 - Tue., October 17, 8 PM ET - Detroit @ Oakland*

Gm. 7 - Wed., October 18, 8 PM ET - Detroit @ Oakland*

*not necessary

Just had to edit something in there better! :D

Tigers in 5!

The A's have announced that Barry Zito will take the mound in Game 1, followed by Esteban Loiaza in Game 2. Danny Haren is expected to be the Game 3 starter with Rich Harden, who didn't pitch in the ALDS, pitching Game 4.

The Tigers haven't announced their rotation yet but it looks like they'll go with the same order they used against the Yankees.

I kept thinking Detroit won the Central. Damn. But I still don't like that rule. Baseball has the dumbest home field advantage rules in sports.

Not much different than awarding the third seed to a division winner regardless of position in the standings. But the World Series home-field advantage rule is definitely silly. Baseball claims it would be too hard to schedule the fields if they had to wait until both LCS's were complete. Somehow, basketball and hockey manage.

Besides, this gives Detroit a Friday-Saturday-Sunday series at home, which is awesome for the city. Not only that, but assuming there's no sweep (highly unlikely) Game 5 will be at 4:30 on Sunday, right as 65,000 happy Lions fans stream out of the stadium after witnessing the Lions defeat the Bills (HA HA HA). Seriously though: that's 185,000 people coming downtown during the weekend. Big-time boost to the city. Especially if the Tigers clinch a World Series trip that weekend. It's gonna be huge.

ESPN just said Verlander is starting game 1, anyone else hear this?

Last I seen on the ESPNews ticker, which was roughly 7-ish, still had Robertson listed as GM 1 starter

I don't mind Robertson getting the start. Hopefully Oakland doesn't get any cheap base hits off of him. At least we will not be facing a lineup like we did last series (Granted, we can't overlook Oakland's lineup).

A lot of people are giving the edge to Oakland on sites like ESPN and FOX Sports. I really don't see why though because both teams have good pitching, and decent defense for the most part. When it comes to offense, the Tigers definately have the edge.

Edited by aflac9262

I updated the probables....it was mentioned during the game that Harden will start Game 3 for the A's and Haren Game 4.

Nice effort to get things started tonight. How 'bout Robertson working out of a jam in the 4th by striking out the side?? Nice work. Reminded me of the game he pitched against Houston and the Rocket earlier this year.

Blak: nice sig. I'm hereby ripping it off. Not that quote, I'll find another one. One of the all-time greatest movies ever.

Nice effort to get things started tonight. How 'bout Robertson working out of a jam in the 4th by striking out the side?? Nice work. Reminded me of the game he pitched against Houston and the Rocket earlier this year.

That was just some flat out great pitching right there, probably my favorite part of the game last night. Runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs, and he strikes out the side. Just awesome.

Tonight should be good, Verlander has pitched well against Oakland this year.

If I was in charge of MLB though, I'd decree nothing later than a 7:00 pm start time. I was exhausted by the 9th. Granted, drinking 3 large beers didn't help. But really, how does MLB expect to attract and keep young fans, when the game goes way past their bedtime?

And BRTD, love the new sig.

Word of warning, Perez is going to be starting at short tonight with Guillen at first.

I'd much rather have Infante or Santiago in the lineup than Perez. Hell, you could even put Pudge at first and Wilson behind the plate. I don't believe the A's are a team that runs much.