• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NeverForgetMac25

HockeyBay?

Rate this topic

I was watching a little bit of the Tampa Bay/Atlanta game last night and noticed something "interesting". Check out the logo at Center Ice. I know this image is tough to see, but it was the best one I could find.

IPB Image

For those of you that are having trouble, it says "Hockey Bay". Now, I'm not trying to be arrogant, so don't flame me. However, does anyone else kind of find this as a really lame attempt at making Tampa Bay out to be hockey crazed city. No offense, but it's not like Tampa Bay has any competition for distinction as "Hockey Bay" seeing as that they are the only "Bay" in the NHL.

Thoughts........

Lame attempt. My uncle lives in Tampa and it's nothing of the sort (a hockey city). Everyone loves a winner, those fans would desert that team like rats off a sinking ship at the first sign of failure. Then they'd go to the beach and not care.

Someone should actually start a hockey auction site. I doubt you'd get away with calling it hockeybay though.

http://www.hockeybay.com/

^ Nope, doesn't look like it!

However, www.icehockeybay.com is available.

Who here is good with computers and wants to help me with getting this rolling? Seriously!

Damn, I thought this was going to be about a website for people to sell used and new hockey stuff. HockEbay would be a good idea though.

There is one...

www.modsquadhockey.com

It's a message board with equipment reviews and discussions, NHL, overall hockey, and general forums, and a buy/sell/trade area. You have to be a member though, and you have to post in the forums before you can buy and sell.

Surprised to see so many people bothered with Tampa Bay calling themsevles HockeyBay.

I suppose as far as their fan base goes, it's a matter of opinion. Someone posted that their dad or uncle said those fans would desert that team soon as they were not a good team. Few guys I know in the Tampa area say the fan base is great and they are behind the team 100%. Guess it's who you talk to.

What is nice about Tampa Bay is their tickets are not very costly at all. Some would say that's the only reason they have sellouts is because they are affordable. I can't fault them for that. The Wings use to have a payroll of 70 million, and now their payroll dropped by about 30 million or so dollars, yet their ticket prices have hardly dropped, in some instances went up. If anything I have total respect for Tampa Bay, that they would charge very little for their tickets. They understand the lower the price, more people come, more beer and food is bought, and more merchandise is sold. And from people I know that have been to Wings games, their are a lot of empty seats. And I could be wrong about this, but I heard the Wings have yet to sell out a playoff game? I'm not bashing the Wings. They are my 2nd favorite team (next to the Pens), but it's hard for me agree with people bashing Tampa over Hockeybay.

Tampa did have a lot of sell outs this year, and they struggled to make the playoffs. So it's hard to say they only have fans because they were a dominant team. Lecavalier is their franchise player, probably the best or second best (between him and Crosby) offensive player in the league. He is a dominant player and probably him and St. Louis are best duo in the league.

I am a WIngs fan also, but it's hard for me to rag on their team for giving their name that when the Wings started calling themselves HockeyTown. I like the Wings did that and the name is fitting, but it's hard to say Detroit was the only deserving team have that name. You have passionate fans from every team, especially the Canadian teams. You could make a case for Hockeytown in Montreal, and especially Toronto.

Guess all I'm saying is, Tampa is a good team with a good hockey market with fans that love their team. So what if they call themselves HockeyBay.

San Jose Bay Sharks? I think he meant with "bay" in the name.

Doesn't bother me. Anything they can do to market a better image for themselves and draw more fans. "HockeyTown" started out the same way.

HockeyVille Predators anyone?

Surprised to see so many people bothered with Tampa Bay calling themsevles HockeyBay.

I suppose as far as their fan base goes, it's a matter of opinion. Someone posted that their dad or uncle said those fans would desert that team soon as they were not a good team. Few guys I know in the Tampa area say the fan base is great and they are behind the team 100%. Guess it's who you talk to.

What is nice about Tampa Bay is their tickets are not very costly at all. Some would say that's the only reason they have sellouts is because they are affordable. I can't fault them for that. The Wings use to have a payroll of 70 million, and now their payroll dropped by about 30 million or so dollars, yet their ticket prices have hardly dropped, in some instances went up. If anything I have total respect for Tampa Bay, that they would charge very little for their tickets. They understand the lower the price, more people come, more beer and food is bought, and more merchandise is sold. And from people I know that have been to Wings games, their are a lot of empty seats. And I could be wrong about this, but I heard the Wings have yet to sell out a playoff game? I'm not bashing the Wings. They are my 2nd favorite team (next to the Pens), but it's hard for me agree with people bashing Tampa over Hockeybay.

Tampa did have a lot of sell outs this year, and they struggled to make the playoffs. So it's hard to say they only have fans because they were a dominant team. Lecavalier is their franchise player, probably the best or second best (between him and Crosby) offensive player in the league. He is a dominant player and probably him and St. Louis are best duo in the league.

I am a WIngs fan also, but it's hard for me to rag on their team for giving their name that when the Wings started calling themselves HockeyTown. I like the Wings did that and the name is fitting, but it's hard to say Detroit was the only deserving team have that name. You have passionate fans from every team, especially the Canadian teams. You could make a case for Hockeytown in Montreal, and especially Toronto.

Guess all I'm saying is, Tampa is a good team with a good hockey market with fans that love their team. So what if they call themselves HockeyBay.

I hear what you're saying but you're kind of contradicting yourself with the bolded comments.

That being said, I give a lot of credit to the Lightning ownership. They've done a great job at getting fans in the seats.

I just found it to be kind of a lame gimmick, nothing more.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

San Jose Bay Sharks? I think he meant with "bay" in the name.

Doesn't bother me. Anything they can do to market a better image for themselves and draw more fans. "HockeyTown" started out the same way.

Doesn't bother me either, whatever floats your boat. Don't they have bays on the great lakes?