• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Aussie_Wing

Detroit Pistons Season Thread

Rate this topic

Ok, anyone worried?

We're 2-3, the new zero tolerance rule is tearing this team apart, and we have a clueless coach. Our bench was great last night, with Maxiell, Delfino and Murray all contributing however it wasn’t nearly enough.

I'm kind of worried, and also confused. Call me stupid, but I think this years team is just as good as last years team. The bench is way better, Nazr scores more then Ben Wallace, and guys such as Maxiel/Sheed have picked up their game rebounding/blocking shots. The thing that pisses me off about this team is NO defensive intensity! I wouldn't mind Larry Brown in for another one year run.

Ok, anyone worried?

We're 2-3, the new zero tolerance rule is tearing this team apart, and we have a clueless coach. Our bench was great last night, with Maxiell, Delfino and Murray all contributing however it wasn’t nearly enough.

No more worried than when the Wings were on a losing streak to start the season.

By the way, I want more of Maxiell. Last night's game was on ESPN, so it was the first I've seen this year, and good god does Maxiell look like a beast out there. This guy needs serious minutes, I mean like 20-25 a game, at least.

And I despise the zero tolerance guidelines. Chintzy-ass T's are being handed out left and right. The refs are now allowed to screw up all they want and if a player so much as peeps about it, they T him up and the screw-up is magnified. It's only a matter of time before some team, the Pistons as likely as anyone, blows up on the court and is T'd up so bad they only have four bodies and no coaches left. They're not doing anything to calm guys like Sheed down - mark my words, later on this season, Mt. St. Sheed is gonna blow his stack out of bottled-up frustration.

It's hard for me to get excited about NBA basketball... each year the NBA seems like more of an entertainment spectacle than a sport (no hand-checking so their 'stars' can drive to the hoop at will, stupid dress codes and a no-tolerance policy designed to appease their corporate sponsors, and blatant biases towards their media darlings, Kobe, LeBron and Wade that is only magnified each playoff game.

It also doesn't help that the NBA was pretty much f***** Detroit over with their rule changes.

Edited by Cruiser008

I should add that I love how Ben Wallace complains in Detroit that he wasn't involved in the offense enough, but this season in Chicago all his numbers; pts, FG%, rebounds, blocks are way down. Well it least he's happy with the extra 8 million he got since apparently 52 million wasn't enough for 'his family'. :sly:

I should add that I love how Ben Wallace complains in Detroit that he wasn't involved in the offense enough, but this season in Chicago all his numbers; pts, FG%, rebounds, blocks are way down. Well it least he's happy with the extra 8 million he got since apparently 52 million wasn't enough for 'his family'. :sly:

I said since he left that within a year all of us here would be happy Joe D let him go. Looks like that could have already happend...

Link

Forgetting the future will bring back painful past

PHILADEPHIA  At some point, the Detroit Pistons' unwillingness to fully commit to their young players is going to come back and bite them.

Rasheed Wallace, Antonio McDyess and the team's other veterans can still play at a high level.

But let's face it, folks.

While they're not quite ready for AARP, this team is starting to resemble the post-Bad Boys that struggled throughout most of the 1990s because they never developed a next generation of players following their championship runs.

That's why the best of Carlos Delfino will probably be seen wearing another team's jersey, probably some time this season.

Now Delfino's minutes have fallen considerably the last couple of games, which just so happens to coincide with a two-game Pistons winning streak.

Detroit is winning games, but again, not developing that next generation of players is going to hurt them at some point.

We've already seen it play out this year with them losing Ben Wallace this summer, and their "big man of the future" - Darko Milicic - being shipped out just a few months prior to that.

Along with Darko, they tossed aside their backup point guard of the future in Carlos Arroyo, which might prove even more fatal to the franchise if they don't re-sign Chauncey Billups who will opt out of his contract this summer.

These are some uncertain times the Pistons live in, and the more we see Delfino, and Jason Maxiell and Amir Johnson twirling a towel on the bench rather than playing, the more obvious it becomes that this proud, championship-caliber franchise is in for a hard fall ... very soon!

Good article, and I couldn't agree more. This team will be in massive strife in the next few years.

I agree with that article. It's not right that Maxiel has such up and down minutes when he has worked the hardest on the team. Delfino also should see more. I think Johnson could be good too, but it is hard to get him out there with our PG's.

I think everyone wants Maxiell and Delfino to see more minutes...

As things stand today, Carlos Delfino and Jason Maxiell are out of the main rotation. Maxiell, who has played well, will still see situational minutes, usually when the team needs an energy boost or against a small lineup. Delfino, well, it continues to be a struggle for him.

I am probably guilty of reading too much into his body language. For the most part, his body language is telling me that he isn't happy here and he wants a fresh start elsewhere. He hasn't said that, of course. In fact, after practice, he said what he pretty much always says. As long as the team wins, he doesn't care. He wants to play, sure, but it's not his call. He doesn't really know why he's not playing, but since he's not, he knows he must be doing something wrong. Not scoring and only taking four shots in 20 minutes isn't exactly the kind of production that will keep him on the court. But he will argue that he needs more time to get into the flow. Whatever.

I thought Chauncey Billups made some interesting points about Delfino today, and I want to share them with you. Chosing his words very carefully, Billups said, "Carlos is struggling to find his way a little bit, not knowing how many minutes he's going to play. But like I told him, just come in and play hard. You have to come off that bench with a lot of energy and try to change the game up a little bit. But Carlos, that's not his personality to play (all out) like that. He's more of a cool, finesse-type player. Now that can be miscontrued like he's not playing hard or that he doesn't care. That's not the case. That body language, that's just who he is."

I will defer to Chauncey's read on that, but Billups agreed that cool finesse stuff doesn't play well here. "We don't have that kind of team," Billups said. "We've got a tough, grind-it-out, hard-working team and you tend to stand out when you aren't playing like that."

Everyone except Flip... :clap::angry:

Wallace butting head(band)s with Skiles

Heh heh heh. Ben left because he didn't get along with Flip. Now he's finding the grass definitely isn't greener. Interesting note about the headbands; how Skiles didn't reveal the headband rule until after Wallace signed. In short, Skiles lied to Ben. Very dishonest. Not that I'm feeling terribly sorry for Ben, but did I really need yet another reason to hate the Bulls?

I take everyone here hates Bill Walton like most people, but I love the guy! Just got sent some Walton quotes....

“John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!â€Â

"Show some respect to this living legend, this hall of famer...Arvydas Sabonis."

"You look at Vladimir Radmanovic, this guy is cut from stone. As if Michelangelo was reading and a lightning bolt flashed before him."

Those are some of the best quotes ever!

Good move? I doubt it, because you know that if he were on the Pistons we would be a much better team.

However we're on a great streak right now and Rasheed Wallace is taking some of the slack and is averaging a career high in rebounds. Good to see Delfino play well again today, but I wish Saunders would actually give him decent minutes in the second half.

Good move? I doubt it, because you know that if he were on the Pistons we would be a much better team.

However we're on a great streak right now and Rasheed Wallace is taking some of the slack and is averaging a career high in rebounds. Good to see Delfino play well again today, but I wish Saunders would actually give him decent minutes in the second half.

I agree we would be better with Ben, but next season there is no way

Yes, it was a good move no matter how you look at it. Ben Wallace would not have signed for 1 year, it wouldve been a huge contract. I said this before the season started so what he's doing now has nothing to do with it...he simply was not worth a max contract and it wouldve hampered the team for years.

Yes, it was a good move no matter how you look at it. Ben Wallace would not have signed for 1 year, it wouldve been a huge contract. I said this before the season started so what he's doing now has nothing to do with it...he simply was not worth a max contract and it wouldve hampered the team for years.

Agree 100 percent

The Pistons lose to Charlotte and now Portland, how pathetic.

Flip Saunders is an absolute joke and I cannot understand why they haven't sent him packing by now. He will run this team into the ground, not just now but for the future. Another good first half by Delfino today and he saw no minutes in the second half. When he is traded I wish him all the best as he deserves to play.