• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Aussie_Wing

Detroit Pistons Season Thread

Rate this topic

Well the 2006/07 NBA season will kick off shortly and many experts have written off the Pistons as genuine contenders. I still believe this team is capable of winning the championship, but there’s one thing stopping them, and that is Flip Saunders. Unfortunately I have very little faith in his coaching ability come crunch time. He’s shown time and time again that he doesn’t have what it takes when the going gets tough. He must use the bench more; the last two seasons the starters have been worn out and have been forced to play far too many minutes. Recent comments by Saunders indicate that he’s willing to play the bench more often, but only time will tell if this is the case.

There’s no denying that we still have one of the best starting line-ups in the league. Billups had the best regular season of his career, but probably the worst post season too. Hamilton and Prince get the job done night in, night out; but I have massive doubts over Rasheed. It appeared to me that he lost his focus last season, the tech fouls and the coaching of Flip brought upon his downfall. We need a focused Rasheed if we’re to have success. Obviously the main loss is that of Ben Wallace, but the Pistons signed Nazr Mohammed to take his place at C. While there’s no doubting it’s a downgrade, Nazr is quite effective; he’s a good defender, a great rebounder and he can score a little.

Now the most important aspect is the bench. We have finally added some scoring power with Ron Murray, who should be capable of scoring 10 ppg and give us some spark. Then of course there is the consistent play of McDyess and Hunter, whilst youngsters Delfino and Maxiell should both improve. This bench is capable of relieving the starters for long periods and giving good contributions, however once again it all depends on how much faith Flip is willing to show in them…

It's not that much of a downgrade. The new NBA is focused on offense, you can't TOUCH Wade or Lebron or Kobe or any superstar. Nazr is still a pretty good defender but he brings the offensive side of the game to the table that Wallace didn't.

I think Vegas or someone has the Pistons and Cavaliers tied at 49.5 games this season and the Heat at 50.5.

I can't wait untill the Heat start losing so we can hear the new ball excuse from Shaq. As if he is THE ONLY one affected by the new ball.

It will stink not having Ben this year, but I really believe after this season we will all be very happy Joe D let him go.

I think our defensive swagger is gone, but with adding Nazr/Murray I expect us to be a team simular to the Suns. I agree we can win it all, but the Cavs/Heat will be tough.

The thing I'm most pissed off about is our PA announcer Mason is now with the Cavs. I think the Palace kind of loses some of its exctment it has had with him.

Thats exactley what I was thinking. I thought annoncer's just stayed with a team like the Wings, Tigers, and U-M.

Ernie Harwell was traded to some team for a minor league player.

I did not know that Mason is no longer with the Pistons, I've been watching the game too. I guess his gig would be up with whatever radio station (I think 105.9) he was on in the morning here as well.

BUT, BUT this does confirm that Cleveland wants to be JUST like Detroit. First they stole Cleve-land bas-ket-ball along with whatever else (I forgot) and now they steal Mason.

Edited by dallas27

Ernie Harwell was traded to some team for a minor league player.

I did not know that Mason is no longer with the Pistons, I've been watching the game too. I guess his gig would be up with whatever radio station (I think 105.9) he was on in the morning here as well.

BUT, BUT this does confirm that Cleveland wants to be JUST like Detroit. First they stole Cleve-land bas-ket-ball along with whatever else (I forgot) and now they steal Mason.

It gets worse....Cleavland has Fred McCloed this year too...

It gets worse....Cleavland has Fred McCloed this year too...

I am actually happy about that. Listening to Blaha is 289365025796 times better than McCloed

I am actually happy about that. Listening to Blaha is 289365025796 times better than McCloed

Oh jeez I HATE Blaha! Can't stand him...I love Greg Kelser though.

I went to the preseason game in GR, and I was impressed with Maxiel. Bullock also played very good, but I doubt he'll see the floor this year.

Well Maxiell sure has been tearing it up during the pre season. He had 21 points and 8 rebounds today, and is averaging over 14 ppg while shooting 57.1%. He's also averaging 5.4 rebounds and 1.6 blocks.

Hopefully he continues this form during the regular season.

those are fighting words. You're messing with a legend!!

:boxing:

lol messing with a legend....I think I would even chose Musberger over Blaha.... okay maybe not that far. I just don't like his voice. I do like his passion for the Pistons though, and the Spartans if you listen to that.

Well the new season kicked off today and the Bulls absolutely slaughtered the Heat in their 'Championship celebration night'. :D

I was expecting to hate Ben Wallace but I just couldn’t bring myself to cheer against him. And boy are Chicago going to be a force this season. :blink:

Some of these NBA projections are a joke! Pistons 6th in the conference? What the heck. People are writting off the Pistons off quick, and I love it. They still have the best starting 5 in the leauge, and have a better bench. I don't see how people think they've fallen off the earth.

Ok I know it’s only one game, and I’ll probably be abused, but I already have my doubts.

After an unbelievable pre-season from Jason Maxiell he played a mere 11 minutes, and during that time he had 3 points, 2 rebounds and 3 blocks. Now I don’t know what more he could have done to gain the trust of Flip, but it’s obvious that he won’t see much time this season despite the fact he’s ready to contribute.

Delfino came on in the second quarter and was a massive spark. He hit a couple of threes, grabbed a few boards and appeared to be the spark we were missing. But instead Saunders barely played him in the second half, and he finished up with less than 12 minutes. 8 points at 75% and 3 rebounds, but obviously not enough production for Flip.

I cannot stand Saunders and I have no confidence in his coaching ability.

I didn't see the intros, but I didn't think it was Mason..just a fake.

This is from Detroit News during the summer-

"The Cavaliers hire John Mason, whose distinctive, rumbling voice at The Palace has become legendary in the NBA.

Mason is a genuine NBA personality. We used to have Gus dancing in the balcony and Leon the Barber heckling.

Listen, we don't care Gilbert's fling with Larry Brown hastened his divorce with the Pistons. We wish McLeod well. The media has become a free-agent business.

But the intolerable act is hearing Mason's rumbling tone tell us "CLEEEEEEEV-land, BAS-KET-ball." Or, "at the line, wearing the Cavaliers 23, LeBron, 'Bron, 'Bron, 'Bron, 'Bron JAMES!!!!"

Maybe something changed, but I think he got hired by the Cavs.

Darko's back (sulking) ...

SALT LAKE CITY  Word out of O-town is that Darko's starting to pout about not getting as much playing time as he would have liked in this, a contract season.

Beating out Dwight Howard for minutes wasn't going to happen. Even Darko's not that dillusional. But being outperformed by Tony Battie?

Link

QUICK HITS:

...Shocker! Word out of Orlando is that Darko Milicic is pouting because the team is starting Tony Battie over him. This kid’s sense of entitlement is off the charts and was one of the reasons Pistons President Joe Dumars (who drafted him with the second overall pick in 2003) rather quickly passed him on. Dumars figured, correctly, that whatever Milicic would become in the league it would never happen in Detroit. The same thing is going to happen in Orlando, I fear. I think the Magic made a good move in not giving him an extension before the season. They asked him to earn it – and that’s a concept young Milicic doesn’t seem to be able to grasp. He is going to have a great career in Italy or someplace.

...Keep this in the back of your mind, too. Dumars took heat first for drafting Milicic and then for dumping before losing Ben Wallace. But, should the Magic stumble and not make the playoffs, the Pistons will get another lottery pick (as long as it’s not top 5). And in this draft – that is like gold.