• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlakChamber

2006 World Series: Tigers & Cardinals

Rate this topic

So here's the real question then: what was that stuff on Kenny's hand? Innocent dirt, or was he pulling a few tricks out of Gaylord Perry's book?

Me, I think he was greasing that ball like a sonuvabitch. Which in my book is all good. In baseball, in my opinion, certain kinds of cheating are totally kosher if you can get away with it. Spitting on, scuffing, cutting, greasing, sanding, or otherwise doctoring the ball fall into this category. As does corking the bat, mainly because I think that secret-agent s**t the Cleveland Indians once pulled to retrieve corked bats from the umpire's locker room and replace them with regular ones was hilarious. It's all part of the colorful history of the game. Like the catcher that would file the buckles on his shin pads reeeeeeeal sharp, then "drop" the ball and run it over the edges as he picked it up. Stealing signs, corked bats, pine tar, greased balls.....it's not cheating, it's good old-fashioned chicanery :noevil: :sly:

Didn't matter much, anyway. He only had it on in the first inning, and no Cardinal crossed the plate in the next 7 innings either. Might have gotten into their head a bit, though. What's a Series without a couple side-stories?

Matt, I'm pretty sure there is no avatar out there better than yours

The most amusing part of making that avatar was doing a GIS for "dead cardinal" and I kept getting pages and pages of the Vatican variety...

Nice game tonight. I was praying that Leyland would leave Rogers out there for the 9th and keep Jones away, but noooooo.... I've got to have the heart-attack. UGH.

As for Rogers' stuff: I wouldn't doubt it was tar, grease, or whatever. Not at all. He's used something every start he's had in the postseason. If you watched after the 1st inning on close-ups of Rogers' head, whatever he was using magically moved to an area on his cap just behind his left ear. ;)

As for Rogers' stuff: I wouldn't doubt it was tar, grease, or whatever. Not at all. He's used something every start he's had in the postseason. If you watched after the 1st inning on close-ups of Rogers' head, whatever he was using magically moved to an area on his cap just behind his left ear. ;)

Todd Jones came out said that while he was with Colorado, he was using pine tar every single pitch :lol: and supposedly, while they were interviewing Cardinal players about what they thought about Rogers, somebody shouted out "what pitcher doesn't use it?"

what I find sad is that the media is making a huge deal about what was on his hand even going as far as saying the tigers should forfeit the game. Enough already. The Gambler is pitching his ass off lately. Give credit where it is due.

what I find sad is that the media is making a huge deal about what was on his hand even going as far as saying the tigers should forfeit the game. Enough already. The Gambler is pitching his ass off lately. Give credit where it is due.

Forfeit the game? AHAHA.

kenny has bowel problems. he doesn't like to talk about it, but he suffers from chronic diarrhea. his condition is exacerbated by stress. these days, he suffers from it most severely before his starts. so he jets to the bathroom and takes a runny dump right before he takes the mound. and here lies the problem. he may be a left handed pitcher...but he's a right handed wiper!!! however...the runs hit him so fast that he had left his catching glove on his right hand and had to wipe with his left. and, as we all know, kenny doesn't wash his hands after using the bathroom. clearly, left handed ass wiping doesn't work so well for kenny. but you gotta do what you gotta do.

now if it's a crime to pitch with some poo on your hand, then convict him! but i say poo is kosher!!!!!

kenny has bowel problems. he doesn't like to talk about it, but he suffers from chronic diarrhea. his condition is exacerbated by stress. these days, he suffers from it most severely before his starts. so he jets to the bathroom and takes a runny dump right before he takes the mound. and here lies the problem. he may be a left handed pitcher...but he's a right handed wiper!!! however...the runs hit him so fast that he had left his catching glove on his right hand and had to wipe with his left. and, as we all know, kenny doesn't wash his hands after using the bathroom. clearly, left handed ass wiping doesn't work so well for kenny. but you gotta do what you gotta do.

now if it's a crime to pitch with some poo on your hand, then convict him! but i say poo is kosher!!!!!

I was gonna post that it was monkey feces. But you beat me to the poop joke. Hats off to you good sir!

That's how Todd Jones rolls.

Seriously. He knows how to make a game exciting.

And Matt, your avatar reminded me of the shot they had during Game 2 of a guy in the stands wearing a tiger costume with a cardinal in it's mouth. Flippin' hilarious.

OK now I really want to smoke the Cards. Before last night, I had nothing against them - in fact I like the Cards much more than alot of other teams (cough Yanks, Mets). But now all this "Kenny is cheating" stuff is pissing me off. To be fair, it's mostly the media. But Larussa pretty much accused him of cheating during his press conference today - my interpretation of it at least.

The guy smokes the Cards for 8 innings, and all anyone talks about is some sh*& on his hand. MLB has issues: we won't test any of our players rigorously for steroids, growth hormone, or other drugs, but some freakin' pine tar on you palm will get your a$$ suspended - paaleese. :angry:

Think Leyland will be eying the pitching hand of the Cards the next three games?

Here's looking forward to a series clinching game 6 with Rogers on the mound shutting the Cards out before the home crowd again. :thumbup:

Those Cards are going down. I'm sick of them, and their fans bitching and moaning. 'Dirt' or whatever it was on his hand or not he still was AMAZING out there.

BTW. Why does Pujols bat so sexually?! I mean seriously..he's got that look in his eyes like he's about to make love to the upcoming pitch..it really creeps me out.

Uh, sexually? That is definitely not the first thing that pops to my head when I see Pujols bat. I dunno, maybe that's his secret. Maybe a hitting coach way back in the minors told him to make love to the ball, and that's what makes him a great hitter.

By the way, anyone read the Uni Watch column by Paul Lukas, on ESPN.com? At the risk of sounding like a complete shill, I read the column religiously, and today's is about the logos of the Tigers and Cardinals and the many, many little miniscule variations they've undergone. He talks about the cap D vs. jersey D and where they each show up, and has links to show the evolution of the D, as well as the "birds-on-a-bat" that the Cards wear. Very cool.

So here's the real question then: what was that stuff on Kenny's hand? Innocent dirt, or was he pulling a few tricks out of Gaylord Perry's book?

Me, I think he was greasing that ball like a sonuvabitch. Which in my book is all good. In baseball, in my opinion, certain kinds of cheating are totally kosher if you can get away with it. Spitting on, scuffing, cutting, greasing, sanding, or otherwise doctoring the ball fall into this category. As does corking the bat, mainly because I think that secret-agent s**t the Cleveland Indians once pulled to retrieve corked bats from the umpire's locker room and replace them with regular ones was hilarious. It's all part of the colorful history of the game. Like the catcher that would file the buckles on his shin pads reeeeeeeal sharp, then "drop" the ball and run it over the edges as he picked it up. Stealing signs, corked bats, pine tar, greased balls.....it's not cheating, it's good old-fashioned chicanery :noevil: :sly:

Didn't matter much, anyway. He only had it on in the first inning, and no Cardinal crossed the plate in the next 7 innings either. Might have gotten into their head a bit, though. What's a Series without a couple side-stories?

Sorry captain, but I've got to disagree with you. I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I do cheer for the Brewers. That being said, I am cheering for the Tigers to win the Series because I can't stand the Cardinals.

However, you can't honestly tell me that if the situation was reversed, and it was a Cardinals pitcher that greased his thumb, that you would have responded with the above post.

My guess here, is that all the Tiger fans would be calling for his head.

...........especially if the Cards had gone up 2 games.

I agree Rogers is probably guilty as sin and should have been ejected. However, they had their opportunity to address the issue and chose not to. Even the coach of the Cards thinks it was dealt with appropriately, so everybody just needs to move on and let it play out on the field.

However, they had their opportunity to address the issue and chose not to.

And I agree with this. I feel since it was dealt with, it should die now.

All I was saying Vladdy, is that its a lot easier to deal with when the team you're cheering for ends up on the winning end of things.

Scuffing the ball or putting something on your hand is part of the game. That's why you don't hear the Cardinals players complaining. They know that their guys are doing it too. The Cards had a pitcher suspended in 04 for getting caught with pine tar on his hands. I don't believe for a minute, that with an old school manager and pitching coach like La Russa and Duncan, the Cards have stopped using.

There was a thing about Chris Carpenter on Cold Pizza yesterday and a very pine tar like smudge on his hat. I'm sure he'll have a new hat tonight though.

The only reason this is even a story is because of Fox. For whatever reason, they just have to have some kind of "story" for their post season. And since Leyland and La Russa won't talk about their friendship, they've got to find something else. You'd think that the series with a team who lost 119 games 3 years ago, and a team that has lost the world series 2 out of the last three years; and both from great baseball towns would be enough. But I guess it's not.

Despite Rogers relationship with the media, and two big Cards slappies doing the game, I don't think that Fox or their announcers are out to get Rogers or the Tigers. I just think that they looking for any sort of story they can find, and the pine tar thing just feel into their lap, so to speak.

If they really want a story, why don't they looki into the allegations of Puljos using HGH...

Scuffing the ball or putting something on your hand is part of the game. That's why you don't hear the Cardinals players complaining. They know that their guys are doing it too. The Cards had a pitcher suspended in 04 for getting caught with pine tar on his hands. I don't believe for a minute, that with an old school manager and pitching coach like La Russa and Duncan, the Cards have stopped using.

There was a thing about Chris Carpenter on Cold Pizza yesterday and a very pine tar like smudge on his hat. I'm sure he'll have a new hat tonight though.

The only reason this is even a story is because of Fox. For whatever reason, they just have to have some kind of "story" for their post season. And since Leyland and La Russa won't talk about their friendship, they've got to find something else. You'd think that the series with a team who lost 119 games 3 years ago, and a team that has lost the world series 2 out of the last three years; and both from great baseball towns would be enough. But I guess it's not.

Despite Rogers relationship with the media, and two big Cards slappies doing the game, I don't think that Fox or their announcers are out to get Rogers or the Tigers. I just think that they looking for any sort of story they can find, and the pine tar thing just feel into their lap, so to speak.

If they really want a story, why don't they looki into the allegations of Puljos using HGH...

And don't misunderstand what I'm saying BC. I agree that the Cards, as well as any other team in the league do the same thing. Everyone uses pine tar and other forms. The point of what I'm making is, its all of a sudden a big deal when its in the World Series, which is BS in my opinion. It's no different in the regular season, but now the media is blowing it up.

Maybe the media is just reaching. The point of what I'm saying is that even though everyone does it, the opposing fans will get mad if the other team is caught in the act.