• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlakChamber

2006 World Series: Tigers & Cardinals

Rate this topic

THANK YOU TIGERS!

Thank you for an incredible season reaching expectations that I would have ever imagined back in March/April. Don't hang your head down Tigers fans. I know we haven't seen the last of this team. Like the wings in 95, it took some eye opening to get them champions. Tigers will be champions soon enough. See you in 2007 Tigers.

Agree! :clap:

I'm still really bummed...but if you had told me at the beginning of the season that the Tigers were gonna make the World Series, I would have laughed at you. So thank you Tigers for making baseball fun again and one of the most incredible sports seasons of my life.

This pitching staff should only get better so gotta keep hopes up they improve for next year.

Im friggin pissed! Its just the way they went out that kills me. I mean, if they had lost to a healthy loaded Mets team with Pedro and all that, I'd stand up and applaud the effort. But to go down to the likes of Weaver just leaves a knot in my stomach...like i cant believe they actually lost to these guys, and 4-1 to boot! I keep thinking about their pitching staff and wondering HOW this happened. I know in a few days ill be over it and proud of what the Tigers accomplished, but right now, damn this just stings. At least they did go down to a top notch baseball city with great fans, thats about the only positive thing i feel right now. Thank you Sean Casey for showing up and playing your heart out, thats why i wanted you here.

I dont know why this thought is in my head, and theres no basis for it, but im scared that Dave Dombrowski will jump to another team. Like he's proved himself yet again and will now look for a new challenge. He strikes me as that kind of guy. Does anyone know his contract status?

I dont know why this thought is in my head, and theres no basis for it, but im scared that Dave Dombrowski will jump to another team. Like he's proved himself yet again and will now look for a new challenge. He strikes me as that kind of guy. Does anyone know his contract status?

His contract expires this year. I could have sworn I read somewhere that they extended him, but I couldn't find it. So, first order of business is to lock him down for another seven years. I think that if he were the type to want to prove himself and then look for another challenge, he'd want to win the Series. If Ilitch is smart, and I'm sure he is, he'll hand Dombrowski a blank check and a contract today.

So, what about the offseason? Going around the starting lineup:

At catcher, Pudge and Vance Wilson are signed through next year. I know our middle infielders are signed for a while, and I think Inge is locked down too. I see no reason to try and upgrade at third, Inge has a Gold Glove in his future. Center and right are set. Here's what I think the questions are:

What do we do about first base? Do we go the way the White Sox did, to trade for a big bat? Re-sign Casey? Give Shelton the position back?

What about left field? Monroe or Thames could be trade bait, and honestly, though I like them both, we need a more consistent bat out there, more contact and less striking out.

What do we do with the guys in the minors that are starting to look major-league ready? Humberto Sanchez, Jordan Tata, Brent Clevlen, and maybe even Jair Jurrjens could start to try and force their way onto the major league roster.

I definitely see a trade happening, and not much on the free agent market. How's this: Monroe, Shelton, Sanchez/Jurrjens to the Rangers for Mark Teixeira. Teixeira switch-hits and can absolutely slug.

His contract expires this year. I could have sworn I read somewhere that they extended him, but I couldn't find it. So, first order of business is to lock him down for another seven years. I think that if he were the type to want to prove himself and then look for another challenge, he'd want to win the Series. If Ilitch is smart, and I'm sure he is, he'll hand Dombrowski a blank check and a contract today.

So, what about the offseason? Going around the starting lineup:

At catcher, Pudge and Vance Wilson are signed through next year. I know our middle infielders are signed for a while, and I think Inge is locked down too. I see no reason to try and upgrade at third, Inge has a Gold Glove in his future. Center and right are set. Here's what I think the questions are:

What do we do about first base? Do we go the way the White Sox did, to trade for a big bat? Re-sign Casey? Give Shelton the position back?

What about left field? Monroe or Thames could be trade bait, and honestly, though I like them both, we need a more consistent bat out there, more contact and less striking out.

What do we do with the guys in the minors that are starting to look major-league ready? Humberto Sanchez, Jordan Tata, Brent Clevlen, and maybe even Jair Jurrjens could start to try and force their way onto the major league roster.

I definitely see a trade happening, and not much on the free agent market. How's this: Monroe, Shelton, Sanchez/Jurrjens to the Rangers for Mark Teixeira. Teixeira switch-hits and can absolutely slug.

Well my thinking is that it would be more of a challenge to him to sign with another bad team for huge bucks and attempt another all out rebuild. Or even dare i say it, no i wont say it...umm *cough* Steinbrenner *cough*. I think that should be our biggest fear right now. Dombrowski is the most important guy in this organization, we can not afford to lose him.

I'd like to get a SS, and move Guillen permanently to 1B. Casey will probably go back to Pittsburgh i bet, I know he liked it there and i believe its his hometown if im not mistaken. I would love to get Teixera if we could, and i know Texas has always liked Nate Robertson....so maybe something involving him, Clevlen, and another prospect could get it done. I like Nate but with Miller coming up he's expendable. Monroe's value will never be higher than it is now, i think now's the time to move him...the spot will have to be cleared out eventually anyways for Cameron Maybin. However im just not sure theyd deal Monroe right now given all the heroics he had during the year.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

I just wanted to post my official congratulations to the Tigers for an incredible season. It totally sucked that we couldn't show the world what a great team we really are, but we know how fantastic the Tigers were this season.

TODDDDDDDDDDDDD JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONES!

Teiveira would be a good fit. Should Monroe be traded, what would happen if Maybin isn't ready? I don't like the idea of Thames being the everyday left-fielder. One player I absolutely do not want to see moved is Bonderman; his name has been in the papers as possible trade bait. I think that move would come back to haunt us later. But as you guys said, without Dombrowski, maintaining a winning ball club will be a much more difficult task.

The real shame isn't that they lost in the World Sereies, it's the way they lost. A reporter for the Free Press wrote in this morning's paper that he oveheard other reporters saying that Detroit had no place in the World Series, and that if the ALDS was a 7 game series the Yankees would have won with no problem. Looks like any respect they gained this year nationally has worn off and they'll have to prove themselves again next year.

Teiveira would be a good fit. Should Monroe be traded, what would happen if Maybin isn't ready? I don't like the idea of Thames being the everyday left-fielder. One player I absolutely do not want to see moved is Bonderman; his name has been in the papers as possible trade bait. I think that move would come back to haunt us later. But as you guys said, without Dombrowski, maintaining a winning ball club will be a much more difficult task.

The real shame isn't that they lost in the World Sereies, it's the way they lost. A reporter for the Free Press wrote in this morning's paper that he oveheard other reporters saying that Detroit had no place in the World Series, and that if the ALDS was a 7 game series the Yankees would have won with no problem. Looks like any respect they gained this year nationally has worn off and they'll have to prove themselves again next year.

If Monroe is traded, they could maybe sign a 1yr stop-gap if Maybin isnt ready. Or maybe Clevlen has another great spring and plays LF, i agree on Thames....dont want him being the every day guy out there. But he is a good insurance policy. Now if you're wondering why not just keep Monroe there for another year, well that goes back to my point about his trade value being at its peak right now. I also do not want Bonderman moved, i want him, Verlander, and Miller to be our version of the old Zito, Mulder, and Hudson trio.

I'm still bummed about what happened. But at the same time, I never, ever, in my wildest dreams thought the Tigers would have been in the World Series this year. So thank you too everyone in the Tiger organization. From Mr. Ilitch to the singing hotdog guy. You finally gave me a reason to watch baseball in September.

If Monroe is traded, I would almost guarantee Clevlen takes over in left. He can handle it. And if Bonderman is traded, the return will be enormous. A 23 year old pitcher, whose ERA has been dropping every year, and who features a sinking fastball, a slider as good as any in the majors, and a rapidly developing change? The only thing that would make him more valuable would be if he were a lefty.

I believe Bonderman is up for arbitration this year. I'd like to see Dombrowski offer him a 4 year deal.

I wonder what the Tigers could get for Nate. He's a solid pitcher. He should have had a better season this year, but the lack of run support he got at the end of the season hurt his record. And he's a lefty.

I'm really suprised people are bringing up the idea of trading Bondermen. I also am interested in what we could get for Robertson because we need room for Miller. As for the Maybin talk...I think he's another year away, but wow is this kid good! Watched him play for the Whitecaps a few times this summer. Very glad we didn't trade him for Soriano.

Mucho gracious los tigres!!

I'm really suprised people are bringing up the idea of trading Bondermen.

I think most of us would like to keep him, but since he needs to be resigned, trade options have been in the news.

I was downtown Detroit last night, and it was so sad - I was praying that the Tigers would be playing game 6 while I was in town. :crybaby: I still proudly wore my combo UM and Tigers gear.

I also want to thank the Tigers also for such an incredible ride - most excited I've been about baseball in 20 years. Sadly they did not deserve to win the WS - congrats to the Cardinals (arrrghh). Maybe this taste of success will be good for all the young players. Here's to good years and good times ahead. The young guys have paid their dues. I feel really bad for guys like Rogers - that might have been his window of opportunity to shine. Anyhow, I'm now looking forward to baseball next year, something I haven't said for a very, very long time.

Soriano filed for free agency

A. Soriano, LF

P. Polanco, 2B

M. Ordonez, RF

C. Guillen, SS

I. Rodriguez, C

C. Granderson, CF

C. Monroe, DH

S. Casey 1B

B. Inge, 3B

Or even better, but it will never happen

A. Soriano, LF