• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlakChamber

2006 World Series: Tigers & Cardinals

Rate this topic

Here we are, the World Series.

How many among us thought the Tigers were going to be here at the start of the season?

Put your hands down, you're lying ;)

At the start of the season, I was hoping for the Tigers to go 85-77 and finish third place in the Central. If they did that, I would have called it a damn good year. So obviously this year has exceeded my wildest expectations and hopes.

And it figures, the year I move to Texas is the year the Tigers fiinally get back in the world series. Doh!

Here's the TV schedule

All games on Fox

SATURDAY: St. Louis at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.

SUNDAY: St. Louis at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.

TUESDAY: Detroit at St. Louis, 8 p.m.

WEDNESDAY: Detroit at St. Louis, 8 p.m.

THURSDAY: Detroit at St. Louis, 8 p.m.*

OCT. 28: St. Louis at Detroit, 8 p.m.*

OCT. 29: St. Louis at Detroit, 8 p.m.*

That's a good idea. I would love me some TIVO right now. I've got to go to the store this afternoon and stock up on beer and munchies for the game.

Any word on the starting rotations yet?

Verlander, Rogers, Robertson, Bonderman

Apparently Leyland wants Rogers to pitch twice at home if the series lasts that long.

Verlander, Rogers, Robertson, Bonderman

Apparently Leyland wants Rogers to pitch twice at home if the series lasts that long.

I'm surprised that Bonderman is getting the 4th slot. I'd prefer to see Nate and Bondo trade spots.

But, I'm not going to second guess Leyland. If he's got Bondo in the 4th spot, he's got a reason for it.

Sweep. Nobody can stop them.

I take that back, Tigers will lose 2 on purpose just so they can win it here. This is not meant to be humorous. This is a fact.

This is kinda scary. The Tigers are favored. Like, big time. There isn't an analyst or scout in the country who thinks the Cardinals can win. That kinda gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Here's the Cardinals' rotation: Anthony Reyes for Game 1, followed by Jeff Weaver, Chris Carpenter, and Jeff Suppan. A little bit of a thank-you to the Mets is in order, for forcing the Cards to go with their worst pitcher to get things kicked off.

Ah, the joys of TiVo. I've got all of the Tigers' playoff games this year saved and transferred onto my laptop. (Soon to be commercial-free edited and burned on to DVDs.) :)

You'll love it. I can't even count how many times I replayed Magg's clincher over, and over, and over....

As for the Cards starting out with their worst pitcher in Game 1, well, that could've been said for the Tigers in their first two series'. There'll be big-time pressure on Robertson in Game 3 going up against Carpenter.

It had better damn be with a 2-0 Detroit Series lead.

Oh, and Ken Rosenthal picked the Cards in 7. (No reason, he just wrote "just because".)

You'll love it. I can't even count how many times I replayed Magg's clincher over, and over, and over....

Same here! I can't get over it. Each time I watch it I get the chills. BEAUTIFUL!

I just watched Sportscenter and they had a poll for the fans on who would win the WS and 49 outta the 50 states said the Tigers. Obviously the one state that didn't being Missouri.

From the article:

Trammell hasn't been contacted about coming back to Detroit for the World Series festivities, but it would only be fitting.

I thought I read that he was going to be out on the mound when Sparky throws out the first pitch for game 2.

Anyway, very nice article. Growing up, Trammell was my favorite Tiger. I still wear number 3 whenever I play sports because of him. He could be bitter if he wanted. The Tigers organization basically hired him, along with Gibby and Parrish as a publicity stunt. Granted, Trammell probably wouldn't have gotten a big league managing job if it wasn't for the Tigers. Still, I was pretty bitter toward the Tigers after last season, for the way Tram got treated.

However, what makes me more bitter is that Trammell, along with Jack Morris, isn't in the Hall of Fame. Guess he should have done a few backflips like Ozzie Smith during his career, that might have helped :rolleyes:

Oh, and Ken Rosenthal picked the Cards in 7. (No reason, he just wrote "just because".)

No worries, I have a Sportspeak translator implanted in my brain.

When Ken Rosenthal writes:

"Just because."

What he means is:

"The editors told us someone had to pick the Cards, because it wouldn't look like a very good Series otherwise, and I drew the short straw, and everyone already knows the Tigers have superior hitting, pitching, and fielding plus they're well rested and have home field advantage, so I can't actually analyze the Series and have the Cards come out on top otherwise I look like a complete idiot and my hate mail will triple."

I just watched Sportscenter and they had a poll for the fans on who would win the WS and 49 outta the 50 states said the Tigers. Obviously the one state that didn't being Missouri.

It's really worth going to ESPN.com and looking at the state breakdown of their online polls. If there's a question that concerns players or teams in two or more different states, homerism takes over every single time. It's fascinating. For example, suppose the question is "Who should win AL Rookie of the Year?" and the choices are Justin Verlander, Jonathan Papelbon, Francisco Liriano, or Jered Weaver. I think this question was actually asked, too, right about the time Liriano was pitching the lights out. Most of the country was lit up in Liriano's color, but Massachusetts and Rhode Island were for Papelbon, California for Weaver, and Michigan for Verlander.

And also check this out: every time there's a question asked where homerism is possible, and Michigan is involved in some way, the state of Michigan will always be the most homeristic state. Always. Honestly, it happens every time. For example, in the above question, the Michigan percentage of Verlander votes is higher than the Massachusetts percentage of Papelbon votes, or even the Minnesota percentage of Liriano votes. I read this as fans from Michigan being more loyal to their team than anywhere else :D

No worries, I have a Sportspeak translator implanted in my brain.

When Ken Rosenthal writes:

"Just because."

What he means is:

"The editors told us someone had to pick the Cards, because it wouldn't look like a very good Series otherwise, and I drew the short straw, and everyone already knows the Tigers have superior hitting, pitching, and fielding plus they're well rested and have home field advantage, so I can't actually analyze the Series and have the Cards come out on top otherwise I look like a complete idiot and my hate mail will triple."

It's like in the 1998 Stanley Cup and James Brown on Fox picked Washington to win. I figured that Fox just made the black guy pick the team that everyone figured had no shot to win :lol:

Here's the lineup for tonight:

Curtis Granderson, cf

Craig Monroe, lf

Placido Polanco, 2b

Magglio Ordonez, rf

Carlos Guillen, 1b

Pudge Rodriguez, c

Sean Casey, DH

Brandon Inge, 3b

Ramon Santiago, ss

Interesting. No Thames. Actually I can see why: Reyes is a righty, Santiago can switch hit. No way Casey's injury is what's preventing him from playing the field, I can't see first base being too stressful on the calf. LaRussa is well known for playing matchup with his bullpen, so having Thames on the bench would give him a righty pinch hitting option to counter a lefty from the 'pen.

Either that or Leyland is just going in with half his lineup tied behind his back to make it fair :lol:

I cant wait to see friggin Weaver pitch here in gm 2, too bad Bondo isnt going for Detroit. I have a feeling Weaver will get seriously rocked early...like one of those 2IP 7ER deals.

Man, that was ugly. But I'm not worried. Coupla reasons: A, we lost Game 1 of the ALDS too; 2, we hit the ball pretty well all night, just at guys instead of around them; and D, Verlander pitched exactly like that against the A's and Yanks too. We'll come right back at 'em tomorrow night.