• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlueMonk

Pugilist Corner

Rate this topic

Couple of big bouts last night.

Janssen vs. Orr was a great fight, maybe the best one I've seen all year. Lots of throwing, not much hugging. Couple of heavies going at it.

Laraque vs. Boogaard wasn't too bad. Boogey definitely struggles with Laraque, and southpaws in general seem to cause him problems.

Thanks to YouTube (and sites like hockeyfights dot com), it's pretty easy to find clips of the fights within hours after they happen.

Orr vs Janssen will be a contender for fight of the year for sure, Janssen is one the toughest and most fearless guys in the league. For his size he does one hell of job against the guys he fights. Every time he fights his opponent has at least 20 pounds on him.

Boogaard vs Laraque was a bit of a let down, Laraque is just so strong that when he gets a grip it's so hard to get anything free against him.

McCarty is too old now, it's hard to watch him fight guys like Salvador and get a draw.

you know IM just soo freakin stoked too see a guy like Boogaard playin in this league. The wild are giving him some good ice time. He's just soo awesome to watch. Im just waiting for him to get into a real barn burner of a brawl with somebody in the NHL. McCarty is long past done. I admit I was pissed ripped when Holland let him go, but that was a smart move. He's lost more than his stride these last 2-3 years. So has Maltby though and Draper is on that wagon as well.

Edited by Seth

Perhaps the Boogaard-Laraque scrap was a bit of a disappointment, but stil it was a pretty impressive effort by Laraque the way he handled himself and Boogaard. Laraque looked down right small compared to Boogaard, but he managed to keep his balance and lock Boogaard up. Had he fallen down in the beginning Boogaard would have made him pay bigtime. Janssens is one feisty player. He hits and he scraps. I like that.

Anyone catch the Barnaby/Ference scrap from last week that lasted nearly 2 minutes? Now that was a beauty!!

Yeah, you gotta love Barnaby. His fights are always entertaining, it doesn't matter if he is getting beat or if he is winning he still laughs his way through the fight and you can always hear him screaming for the refs to stay out. There have been some great fights so far.

You guys have to go on hockeyfights.com, after watching the video you can rate the fight. This site is always up to date and they do a pretty good job. They also have classic fights, you have to be a member to view these. They still have Booger fight with Fridge up there(just plain nasty). Laraque gives Booger problems because without question he has the best balance of any fighter and he is strong as a bull. He always locks up Booger righthand and pulls him down at the end of each fight they had. There is always debates of who is the best fighter of all time, who is your guys top three?

Mine are 1. Bob Probert, had it all as a fighter 2. Dave Brown, nasty and a southpaw. 3. Tony Twist, one of the most devasting punchers I ever saw, a bigger Joey Kocur.

This should raise some interesting names, now I only selected guys I saw in the NHL. I haven't watched to many minor league games, but if you throw a few of those guys in your mix it would be interesting to hear. Now a side note, I am sure this topic has been stated before. Whatever happen to Probert? The last I heard he was in the fight with Tampa police and eneded back in re-hab.

Guest micah

I would put Probert and Brown tied for 1st. Twist is certainly a top-ten guy, I like how you said "a bigger Joey Kocur" because that's exactly what he was. Dave Semenko was one of the best I've seen too. Brown, Twist, and Semenko probably didn't quite have the skills (or endurance) that Probert, but they made up for it by being mean unpredicatable bastards, BRown especially. I would much sooner fight (and loose, duh) Probert that Brown, he was just a scary crazy dude who could throw like the dickens. Semenko just looked MEAN. With Twist you had to worry about him picking up the Zamboni and hitting you with it.

Today, Laraque is the most skilled, best fighter in the league. Boogaard is the scariest. I would love to see Laraque open up and exchange bombs with Boogaards, but I know that isn't really his thing. You gotta play to your strengths, and Laraque's strength is his strength.

The thing I loved about Probert was that he would ALWAYS avenge his losses the next time the teams played each other. Steve Yzerman would not have had as many points earlier in his career had Probert and Kocur not been there to defend him. By the way, Cam Jannsen is also one of my favs, he reminds me of a young McCarty. He's willing to throw with anyone, he hits like a truck and is built like a brick s*** house. He was a fan favorite in junior with the Windsor Spitfires

You guys have to go on hockeyfights.com, after watching the video you can rate the fight. This site is always up to date and they do a pretty good job. They also have classic fights, you have to be a member to view these.

I'm registered over there, but I thought it would cool to discuss the fights here as well.

The thing I loved about Probert was that he would ALWAYS avenge his losses the next time the teams played each other.

Yep. Not only that, but he always gave the young, up and coming fighters a shot at the title. Not many of the new guys are willing to do that. They prefer to cherry pick who they fight and when.

I'm registered over there, but I thought it would cool to discuss the fights here as well.

Do you like the quality of their older videos? Because I just learned You Tube has a bunch of fights and their not to bad.

Cam Jannsen has become my favorite player. Not that i see a ton of NJ games, but every time he's laying out huge hits and will fight anybody. Very entertaining player..

A win for Parros against an overmatched McCarty who really doesn't ever get set in the fight. They nod to each other at the end, you get the feeling D-Mac is just fighting for the sake of the team at this point. He used to be a fiery scrapper out there, but it's been a long time since I've seen any of that from him.

Yeah, McCarty is nothing good these days. I miss the old days for the Wings. Every team has a few guys that will just drop them to drop them. The Wings don't even have guys that stick up for teammates when they get laid out anymore.