60 replies to this topic

#1 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:28 PM

Last year it was my laptop, this year it's my phone. LOL

I am so careless with these damn things. But anyways, I dropped my cell in the sink and obviously got water in it. I took out the battery right away, dried everything, shook the phone to get the water out, use some cotton swabs and such to make sure everything was out and I let it air dry for hours. I just recently turned it on and it worked except the screen was messed up and it kept like flashing on and off and when I'd call someone I can't hear the rings. Is there ANY hope for my phone or not? What else can I do? Also, if I have a warranty on it..do you think they'll just give me a new one? Or would I unfortunately have to pay for it. This is the last thing I need seeing as how I have SO much shopping to do so I don't want to spend more cash on this darn phone.

"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#2 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:18 PM

I had a friend drop his Verison phone in water and they replaced it. No charge.

I have Sprint and Insurance on it, but when my phone started not connecting to my voice mail, even though I had the insurance on it, Sprint charged me $50 to replace the phone. Not only that, they gave me the same damn phone, which when I signed up for my plan I paid $39 for!!!! They are shameless!!

I would say, there's always Eba y, and your friends that don't want thier old phones any longer. smile.gif

Posted Image

#3 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:41 AM

Hate to sound like a downer, but unless you have the world's most kick ass warranty, it will not cover water damage to your phone.

I worked for Cingular, and you wouldn't believe the stuff that people would try and pull off, when it's obvious that the phone has been water/liquid damaged. The bad thing though is that almost universally no matter how well you try to cover it up, there's ways of telling if the phone's been water damaged (i.e. the tell-tale-red-dot, damage/warping to the circuit board, etc).

*edit* If it's covered by warranty, they won't charge you anything (maybe shipping at the worst). If your phone is covered by Lockline (the insurance group that most phone companies use), then it'll probably be the aforementioned $50 replacement fee. And even then, it's not guaranteed that you'll get a new phone (either warranty or insurance). If they have a refurbished phone in stock, they'll probably send you that first.

Still though, at least try and take it back to the dealer where you bought the phone. See if there's anything you can do.

Edited by Jedi, 17 December 2006 - 03:43 AM.

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#4 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE(hockeycrazy3033 @ December 16, 2006 - 09:28PM) View Post

What else can I do?

Don't take any electronics with you next time you decide to water ski in the Detroit River. laugh.gif

QUOTE(Jedi @ December 17, 2006 - 02:41AM) View Post

I worked for Cingular, and you wouldn't believe the stuff that people would try and pull off, when it's obvious that the phone has been water/liquid damaged. The bad thing though is that almost universally no matter how well you try to cover it up, there's ways of telling if the phone's been water damaged (i.e. the tell-tale-red-dot, damage/warping to the circuit board, etc).

Even thinking their cell phone was actually the television remote? That story was priceless!

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 17 December 2006 - 09:12 AM.

#5 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:09 AM

There is NO hope for your phone.

Two years ago we were at Cedar Point and some moisture (not water, mind you, humidity) got into Brandon's phone.

The screen never worked again. It would still call but it sucked.

See what the store can do based on the warranty, but it's new phone time.

Posted Image

#6 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:25 PM

You're right, Jen. It is working and calling and such but the screen is totally messed up. sad.gif

#7 HenrikRules40

HenrikRules40

I'm not a puck bunny.

• HoF Booster
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:15 PM

That sucks HC. I would go to the store and find a guy salesman to flirt with and cutie pie your way to a free phone. Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you. I once bought a digital camera and took it to school with me in the Caribbean and all of a sudden it stopped working. I had only had it a few months but when I tried to get it repaired (it was still under full warranty) they said it was my fault b/c I probably went swimming with it. I was like, are you an idiot? WHY WOULD I PUT MY CAMERA UNDER WATER? They thought I was lying. I tried to tell them that if I put it underwater the rust would be on the outside AND inside...not just inside. They just dragged it out until the warranty was up. Total waste of time sad.gif

#8 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:05 PM

Nope, still not as funny as the time my secretary exclaimed, "Oh no! I dropped my gym socks in the toilet!" tongue.gif

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#9 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE(SouthernWingsFan @ December 17, 2006 - 08:05AM) View Post

Even thinking their cell phone VCR Remote was actually the television remoteCell Phone? That story was priceless!

Fixed it for ya. But yes, to this day that remains the funniest thing I've ever seen customers do!

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#10 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:09 PM

Hahaha HenrikRules I thought of the whole twirling my hair, innocence, flirting type of thing but while I was at the mall the line at Verizon Wireless was so long so I said screw it.

You guys wanna know something amazing though? After I got home from shopping all day I heard my phone ring and I picked it up and it was perfectly clear. Then I looked at the screen, the options and messages and everything and it's all perfectly back to normal! I am shocked because an hour before that everything was totally messed up. So guess I don't have to get a new one afterall! biggrin.gif

Edited by hockeycrazy3033, 17 December 2006 - 08:11 PM.

#11 HenrikRules40

HenrikRules40

I'm not a puck bunny.

• HoF Booster
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE(hockeycrazy3033 @ December 17, 2006 - 08:09PM) View Post

Hahaha HenrikRules I thought of the whole twirling my hair, innocence, flirting type of thing but I while I was at mall the line at Verizon Wireless was so long so I said screw it.

You guys wanna know something amazing though? After I got home from shopping all day I heard my phone ring and I picked it up and it was perfectly clear. Then I looked at the screen, the options and messages and everything and it's all perfectly back to normal! I am shocked because an hour before that everything was totally messed up. So guess I don't have to get a new one afterall! biggrin.gif

Oh yay! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you. It sucks having to get a new phone. Then you have to learn all the new features. It took me four months to figure out call waiting. I know, I'm an idiot.

#12 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:06 AM

I took my phone swimming in Lake St. Clair a few years ago. Found out phones don't like to swim. After that, my phone would only work in analog, only my roaming ringer would work, I couldn't answer the phone, and if I was lucky, I could dial out. Fortunately, my Verizon contract was up for the 2-year renewal deal, so I got a new one for next to nothing.

#13 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:04 PM

Buy a Sanyo.

I had a Sanyo SCP-4900 for four years...it had been submerged in water several times, left in the snow for days with the contacts exposed.

I only just recently replaced it, and it had nothing to do with water damage.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#14 Major_Rager

Major_Rager

Jr. Prospect

• 27 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:20 PM

My dad flipped his boat while on vacation this past summer, and his cell phone ended up under water for a good hour. After a day of not working, it suddenly turned itself on and has worked just fine since, haha.

#15 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 06:34 AM

My dad dropped his phone in Wolf Lake (Near Jackson Michigan) Got the thing back and all that was wrong with it after it dried was the outside screen didn't work.

My Sister In Law dropped hers in the cats water dish... Worked even better (only phone that gets awesome reception at our house) WTF?

I had mine in a baggie at Cedar point so it wouldn't get we on Snake River Falls.... It didn't get wet but the bag condensated.... Screen died. Got a new phone... So not fair!

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#16 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:18 PM

So a couple days ago I went to go return some movies to Blockbuster so I got outta my car went up to the outside door where the slot is, returned the videos, and got back in my car. I came home and could not find my phone anywhere so I thought hmmm maybe I accidentally dropped it while returning the movies? Soooo I go back to Blockbuster and as im entering the parking lot I see my phone on the ground in the snow with the cover missing. I go to pick it up and a few steps further I see the cover. Nothing was scratched, but the phone got wet so I tried drying em off as much as I could with taking the battery out as well. A couple hours later I tried to see if it would work and the front screen would but the main screen went completely white and hasn't worked since. So yeah, my phone is messed up again and this time it ain't coming back to life!

I have no luck with my phone at all! And to top it all off even though my phone has insurance on it I still have to pay a $50 deductible to get a new one. Ugh.

#17 terri27

terri27

Beware of Kirby!He'll suck up teams and spit them out.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:29 PM

I'm not sure what to do. It probably depends on who you got it from. I've dropped my cordless phone in the tub before while I was still in it but it didn't do anything.

#18 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE(hockeycrazy3033 @ January 28, 2007 - 03:18PM) View Post

So a couple days ago I went to go return some movies to Blockbuster so I got outta my car went up to the outside door where the slot is, returned the videos, and got back in my car. I came home and could not find my phone anywhere so I thought hmmm maybe I accidentally dropped it while returning the movies? Soooo I go back to Blockbuster and as im entering the parking lot I see my phone on the ground in the snow with the cover missing. I go to pick it up and a few steps further I see the cover. Nothing was scratched, but the phone got wet so I tried drying em off as much as I could with taking the battery out as well. A couple hours later I tried to see if it would work and the front screen would but the main screen went completely white and hasn't worked since. So yeah, my phone is messed up again and this time it ain't coming back to life!

I have no luck with my phone at all! And to top it all off even though my phone has insurance on it I still have to pay a $50 deductible to get a new one. Ugh.

Reem, dear, i say this as kindly as possible.... I think the Amish Community is calling you. You NEED to be as far away from electronical equipment as possible wink.gif

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#19 Yzermania19

Yzermania19

Mr. General Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(OsGOD @ January 28, 2007 - 03:33PM) View Post

Reem, dear, i say this as kindly as possible.... I think the Amish Community is calling you. You NEED to be as far away from electronical equipment as possible wink.gif

LOL Osgod!! smile.gif

Anyway, depending on which carrier and contract you have, you may qualify for an upgrade, which, depending on what models are available, you may be able to pay a lot less for a better phone.

My dad does a lot of handyman work so he is brutal on his cell phone. It got dropped so many times that last summer it finally quit working. We went to the T -Mobile store and they told him he was up for an upgrade. He ended up paying only $25 for his new phone, a model that would have been $70 if he purchased it outside of an upgrade period.

It might be worth checking out, anyway.
Posted Image
"Talk show...talk show...talk show...oooh! Curling!"

#20 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE(hockeycrazy3033 @ January 28, 2007 - 02:18PM) View Post

I ain't bringing my laptop anywhere near you. Your bad luck when technology is around. laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users