• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
eva unit zero

Someone please...

Rate this topic

How is Cal Ripken Jr. being discussed as a possible unanimous entry to the Hall of Fame when Alan Trammell has yet to get in?

Trammell was a better average hitter who struck out less and fielded better than Ripken...other than stay healthy, what the heck did Ripken do so much better than Tram?

How is Cal Ripken Jr. being discussed as a possible unanimous entry to the Hall of Fame when Alan Trammell has yet to get in?

Trammell was a better average hitter who struck out less and fielded better than Ripken...other than stay healthy, what the heck did Ripken do so much better than Tram?

Let's compare

Basics

Ripken: 21 seasons, 3001 games, 3184 hits, 1647 runs .276 avg., 431 HRs, 1695 RBIs.

Tram: 20 seasons, 2293 games, 2365 hits, 1231 runs, .285 avg, 185 HRs, 1003 RBIs

Awards

Ripken: 1982 ROY, 2 Gold gloves, 2 AL MVPs, 2 All Star MVPs, 16 all star game appreances

Tram: 4 gold gloves, 6 all star game appreances, 1 WS MVP

best known for

Ripken: 2632 consecutive game appreance

Tram: paired with Whitaker for best double play combo ever.

While I dont see why both cant be in the HOF, you certainly cant discredit Ripken and say that he shouldnt be there because Tram isnt there, that cal didnt do anything. Ripken put up HOF numbers throughout his career and is an Icon in baseball. Tram was a good player, but not a baseball icon.

Im a monster Tigers fan, but to be honest, Alan Trammell in the Hall of Fame im really not so sure about..

Theres no debate at all between Ripken and Trammell.

I think the bigger travesty is that Ozzie Smith is in the hall of fame while Trammell isn't. Ozzie was the better fielder, but Tram was the far superior hitter while being a very well regarded fielder as well. If you went back to the 80's, I doubt you'd find many GM's that would have taken Smith over Tram.

Not to say Smith isn't deserving, but I don't see how he is more than Tram.

The biggest snub from the 80's Tiger teams is Jack Morris. 3 World Series rings, winningest pitcher of the 80's, and pitcher of one the greatest World Series games out there.

Im a monster Tigers fan, but to be honest, Alan Trammell in the Hall of Fame im really not so sure about..

Theres no debate at all between Ripken and Trammell.

I wasn't saying Tram was better.

I was saying Cal wasn't THAT much better that he should be a near-unanimous selection while Tram doesn't even make it.

But I agree with Blak that Ozzie Smith over Tram is worse.

^^

Im much, MUCH more upset about Jack not being in than Trammell..

I agree. Jack Morris had one of the greatest pitching performances IMO in the 1991 World Series game 7, 10 inning shutout....as well as having a steller pitching career both in Detroit but in Minnesota, in Toronto

Morris was the winningest pitcher in the 1980's, has 4 World Series rings, and pitched one of the greatest games in world series history.

His main knocks against him is that he has a 3.90 lifetime ERA, and never won the Cy Young. The lack of a Cy Young, and to an extent why he's not in the Hall can probably be explained by his poor relationship with the writers.

But, each year both Tram and Morris' percentages have been going up, so hopefully they'll get in eventually.

Stay healthy? He played through his share of injury. And there are 2 ways to look at that. Was he being a 'company man' or was he keeping some streak alive. Not really criticizing Jr., just saying is all.

Bottom line for me is that I'm sorta a Tram homer to begin with. Grew up with him and Sweet Lou as Tigers. Tram's 9-20 performance in the 84 WS was god-like. He's as nice in person as you'd think. (Yeah touch me - I hit a bucket of balls next to him at Beechwoods. Quite sure he never returned after that bother-fest. Hey it's not everyday I get to do something like that.)

Anyways...............

They both should be there.

aloha