• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Australian Open 2007

Rate this topic

The first Grand Slam of the year gets underway in a few days and I will be attending the first week! :thumbup:

As usual Roger Federer will be the man to beat as he aims to record his 10th Grand Slam title. Both Marat Safin and Andy Roddick are two of his biggest threats however they are due to face each other in the 3rd Round in what will surely be an enthralling encounter. Other major chances are last year’s finalist Marcos Baghdatis however he has a tough draw and if he progresses through to the QF he will meet Federer. Then of course there is World No.2 Rafael Nadal who had a winning record against Federer, however it remains to be seen whether he can overcome an injury he suffered during a lead-up event. One to keep an eye on is Tomas Berdych who is extremely talented and on his day can beat anyone.

On the women’s side Kim Clijsters is my tip to win. She just recorded another title in Sydney in a terrific final against the in form Jelena Jankovic. Maria Sharapova will aim for back-to-back Grand Slams and she has a relatively easy draw. One to watch is talented youngster Shahar Peer who could cause some upsets.

I will be gone for the next week and when I return home I expect a couple of posts. I don’t want to return home to see this post the only one in the thread. :P

I've been watching when I can. I've only caught bits and pieces so far, and only the men's. I really have no idea what is going on on the women's side.

I've seen both of Blake's matches and although he looked sloppy in the first one he looked a bit smoother in the second one. I hope he keeps his head clear because I would LOVE to see him win a freakin' slam.

I'm expecting Berdych or Blake to beat Nadal and reach for the final.

Roger seems a lock as the other finalist,but stranger things have happen.

His next match against Djokovic shouldn't be easy and he still has to win Roddick,who was great against Safin.

If Serena beats Jankovic,she can go on and win the tournament. So far it's been a great comeback for her!

Just back from Melbourne and I had a great week watching the tennis and saw some top notch matches. The Roddick-Safin game was a beauty, probably the match of the tournament to this point. It was far too good for a 3rd Round match that’s for sure. Roddick was extremely impressive as Safin threw all he had at him but Andy just kept responding. He has improved out of sight under the guidance of Connors.

Hewitt just lost tonight, as did Alicia Molik so there are no Australians remaining in the tournament. We are in a terrible patch right now and there’s not a lot coming through the ranks. :(

Good to see my predictions of Berdych and Peer are both still alive and looking good. I saw both of Berdych’s matches and he’s in top form. James Blake is also playing exceptionally well and is my tip to reach the final. :thumbup:

Well Andy Roddick beat Mario Ancic in a terrific 5 set match. The score was 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, 5-7, 6-4. Fellow American Mardy Fish also won and he will play Roddick in the Quarters. Serena Williams also beat probably the most in-form player on the tour in Jelena Jankovic in straight sets. I actually think she will win the tournament now, or at the very least make the final.

The biggest upset came this morning as unseeded Czech Lucie Safarova beat World No.1 Amelie Mauresmo in straight sets. It was a brilliant performance from the talented 19 year old and she will now face 17 year old Nicole Vaidisova.

Tonight young Serbian Novak Djokovic will play Federer in what promises to be a very interesting match. Djokovic is extremely talented, has nothing to lose and I expect a very tight affair.

Well the Q-Final matchups are set and now it gets interesting. I'm hoping Nadal comes through in the bottom half because he's the only one capable of giving Federer a half-decent challenge (anyone else would be bowled by the Fed). On the women's side a Sharapova/Williams final would be interesting, although Clijsters may have something to say about that.

Tonight is Nadal v Murray which could well be the match of the tournament. :thumbup:

It was indeed quite a battle. It wasn't Andy's year yet,but he's my pick for the 2008! :lol:

I'm sick of everyone trembling before Roger. Djokovic looked like a winner,but he was a scared little boy against Federer. Roddick won Federer last time,(although it was only a exhibition tournament) so maybe...

Nah,he's going to win it anyway. :zzz:

I'm rooting for Serena! :thumbup:

What an unbelievable match that was, terrific standard of tennis. The best game of the tournament no doubt. :thumbup: Cannot begin to tell you how impressed I was with Murray tonight. He definitely has the tools to be a multiple Grand Slam winner and potential No.1 down the track. His backhand is just brutal and his serve is a very nice weapon.

But Nadal, what a legend. How he retrieves all those balls I have no idea. Regardless of where he is on the court he will still chase everything down. His forehand is ridiculously good and especially when down break points. How many did he save with outstanding off forehands? He just has nerves of steel. He’s up against Gonzalez next who dispatched Blake quite easily. That will be another great game.

Well my player to watch on the men's side, Tomas Berdych, lost yesterday to Davydenko. However Shahar Peer is still in, but plays Williams tomorrow.

I've been really enjoying this late every evening - no other sports interest me right now (remember I don't get the wings on tv).

I've seen most of Roddick's matches, unfortunately for the one vs. Safin (whom I really like as well), since that was a 1:30amer here.

Serena really pulled off a beauty vs. Peer yesterday. Sorry Aussie Wing. Even though she's fat and out of shape, I think Serena has enough talent and mental toughness to possibly pull this out. (btw what's with those earrings?)

OK I admire the man Federer, but can Roddick please beat him for once in his life in a slam? I would like to see someone not only challenge Roger for Grand Slams this year - but actually win one...it won't kill the guy to lose a Slam for once.....

Men's Semi Finals:

Federer v Roddick

Gonzalez v Haas

Women's Semi Finals:

Sharapova v Clijsters

Williams v Vaidisova

Well it's Semi Final time and there are 4 great matches to be played. The match everyone has been waiting for has finally arrived as Roddick will try to take down Roger Federer tonight. Roddick is playing terrific tennis and I honestly believe he has a big chance to win. Last night Gonzalaz beat Nadal in straight sets which came as a massive shock to me as I was expecting Nadal to reach the final.

I think the women’s final will be Clijsters v Williams, but I do admit I will be supporting the other two women.

Wow I guess Clijsters pulled herself out of a big hole. Hingis was up a set and winning the 2nd set when I went to bed. I really like Kim though so I'm glad - hope she decides not to retire this year!

btw, anyone know if Lindsay Davenport retired? I haven't heard anything about her in awhile.

Edited by RockyMountainWingGal

Anyone know what the deal is with ESPN2 tennis coverage? I was just going to relax and watch the Sharapova/Clijsters match - which started, and is slated to go off the air here in a few minutes. :angry: All for some sports rerun BS. God it sucks to be a tennis fan.........

edit: tennis match came back on....football still listed on the schedule and Aussie open site says no tv after 12:30amEST? go figure....

Edited by RockyMountainWingGal

Well Williams is into the final. I have to say that wasn’t the result I was after. :( At least I had one result go my way; Sharapova beat Clijsters in straight sets in a terrific performance. So it's Williams v Sharapova in the final, I would have to say Maria is the favourite.

And in a few minutes Roddick is up against Federer. Cmon Andy!!!

Game over. Well that was awesome, certainly lived up to the hype. :rolleyes:

This is becoming a farce, a Semi Final match-up between the best and one of the best players in the world, and the match is over in 83 minutes. 83 freaking minutes. They should give the crowd a refund. I am so incredibly sick of Federer. Poor Andy. :(

Game over. Well that was awesome, certainly lived up to the hype. :rolleyes:

This is becoming a farce, a Semi Final match-up between the best and one of the best players in the world, and the match is over in 83 minutes. 83 freaking minutes. They should give the crowd a refund. I am so incredibly sick of Federer. Poor Andy. :(

When was the last time Andy won 6 games in a 3-set match ???

Federer is from another planet... it's just not fair..

Even if he would play at 75%, you would have a hard time beating him.

The women's final should be interesting though.

The Beauty against the Beast.

I hope beauty wins.... ;)

You too,eh?

So it was as dominant performance as the score suggests?

I'm at work so I couldn't watch it,but maybe that was a good thing.

It was without doubt the most one-sided game I have ever seen. Roddick won 6 points in the second set, 6 measly points.

Federer was hitting winner after winner after winner, from every position on the court and with shots that just shouldn’t be played. Make no mistake, Roddick didn’t play that poorly. The only things I could fault were perhaps his serve and despite the talk about his improved volleying skills, they were nowhere to be seen tonight. In fact, Federer often drew him into the net so he could just pass him. The gap between Federer and the rest of the tour is huge, and it makes for such a predictable, dull tour.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

The gap between Federer and the rest of the tour is huge, and it makes for such a predictable, dull tour.

Absolutely.

Where are the Edberg - Becker / Lendl - Becker / Sampras - Agassi (to name a few classics) games ???

Exactly, there were so many great rivalries a decade or two ago. I remember the anticipation everyone had whenever Sampras was to play Agassi. Just fantastic battles and there was nothing better to watch. These days there’s nothing, it’s just who will lose to Federer in the final. :(

Wow Federer/Roddick XIV was ridiculous.... Roddick won only 6 games!?! What's the over/under for number of games the runner-up to Federer will win in the finals? I say 8.5.

Haas vs Gonzalez might be a tight match though.

Well the Q-Final matchups are set and now it gets interesting. I'm hoping Nadal comes through in the bottom half because he's the only one capable of giving Federer a half-decent challenge (anyone else would be bowled by the Fed). On the women's side a Sharapova/Williams final would be interesting, although Clijsters may have something to say about that.

Beauty vs the Beast? But both Sharapova and Williams play some seriously unattractive tennis, although Sharapova is starting to incorporate (pun intentend) some variety in her game which is nice to see.

Edited by Cruiser008

Exactly, there were so many great rivalries a decade or two ago. I remember the anticipation everyone had whenever Sampras was to play Agassi. Just fantastic battles and there was nothing better to watch. These days there’s nothing, it’s just who will lose to Federer in the final. :(

Let's cherish the fact that Rafael Nadal at least has a good chance of winning on clay.

Despite another a**whopping you gotta give Roddick props for his sense of humor :clap: . A few vignettes from his postmortem:

When asked how the match went:

"It was frustrating. It sucked. It was terrible. Besides that, it was fine."

When asked how he will sleep tonight (ouch!)

"It depends on how much I drink."

When told that he had performed better in the news conference than on the court:

"No s---."

Despite another a**whopping you gotta give Roddick props for his sense of humor :clap: . A few vignettes from his postmortem:

When asked how the match went:

"It was frustrating. It sucked. It was terrible. Besides that, it was fine."

When asked how he will sleep tonight (ouch!)

"It depends on how much I drink."

When told that he had performed better in the news conference than on the court:

"No s---."

I know - he cracks me up. I give him full credit for being honest - and for trying his damned hardest knowing he will get slammed anyways. The tide may turn eventually, look at Peyton Manning.....

I miscalculated when the match would be on anyways so I missed it - good thing.

Sorry I missed Serena whooping up on Sharapova too (although I like both players). Looked like that match was a dud of a final also. I love watching Serena play and I wish her and Venus would actually hire a trainer/coach and get back to winning multiple slams. But when you can waltz in at the last minute, out of shape, and still kick everyone's a$$, what'sthe incentive?

I shall boycott the men's final. I too am tired of Roger Federer whooping *blank* every tournament. Hats off to the guy, but like you all have said, the men's tour is very very boring right now without a good rivalry.

See you all later in the spring.