• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mighty Wings

SFE: Wings looking at 'star player' by deadline

Rate this topic

Ken Holland is looking to get a "star player" before the deadline. In addition, Parker also said that there's a good chance Lapointe could end up back here.

Shouldn't come as a shock to us wings fans regarding holland's intentions. Parker doesn't know anything about hockey nor does he care about hockey, but I thought I'd just throw it out there. He's somewhat Eklund-like, but he gets it right once and every while.

I don't think Kenny has ever not been looking to get a "star player" at the deadline. He doesn't always actually get one, but Kenny is never on his couch come deadline time.

As for Lapointe, if anyone expects him to be a cog in the offense, that's wishful thinking. He cashed in on one pretty good year to go to Boston, had one decent year for them, and hasn't been seen on the scoring charts since 2002. Lapointe is nothing more than another body to muck in the corners, which I'm not saying we don't need, but then, what does he bring that Draper doesn't?

Lapointe is nothing more than another body to muck in the corners, which I'm not saying we don't need, but then, what does he bring that Draper doesn't?

Lapointe drops the gloves on occasion and he's a pretty big guy.

I wonder if Pittsburgh moves..... if Crosby wont want out....... id give several star players and a pick or two for someone to build the team around again...... just like they did with Yzerman

Good luck with that.

I'm a big Lapointe fan, but he's turning 34 in September. I liked the teams we had in 1997, 1998, and 2002, but I'm starting to get annoyed at Holland bringing all these guys back. I guess it depends on what it'll cost us, and how much he has left in the tank.

Marty is better than nothing I suspose. This time around, I hope he doesn't take stupid penalties late in the 3rd period again.

Parker also said that there's a good chance Lapointe could end up back here.

before the lockout, i bet my wife lapointe would retire a wing. i would love to be right.

I wonder if Pittsburgh moves..... if Crosby wont want out....... id give several star players and a pick or two for someone to build the team around again...... just like they did with Yzerman

and just who would they take from us for (arguably) the best offensive player to come around in at least a decade?

like rice said, good luck with that

Jason Williams for Marty Lapointe. In a heartbeat. (and of course the Hawks would have to take Lillypuss as part of the deal)

Umm. NO. Are you serious? Williams and Lilja for Lapointe? I assume we're getting draft picks in return....like, five years worth of first rounders to make it even for us?

Jason Williams for Marty Lapointe. In a heartbeat. (and of course the Hawks would have to take Lillypuss as part of the deal)

Actually if they took Lilja, we'd be screwing them (yes, my flaring hate for Lilja appears once more).

And for how utterly worthless Williams is, We need to keep him around as part of a package deal involving Doan or anybody else rumored.

if we're talking about ex-Wings I'd rather have Slava Kozlov. but since Thrashers are headed to playoffs I don't see any trade for him possible.

I'm not sold on Lapointe, either. I always liked him, but I don't think he is THE star player we'd like to eventually see if Holland decides to upgrade this team and give it a shot on something.

I don't think, however, Wings shuold trade too many picks or youth for star players. we've been rather succesful with developing new core from AHL to NHL now, and I'd not screw this mixture with a trade that adds skills but substracts team chemistry and/or sacrifices our future. if I was Holland I'd be looking for a cheap, physicall body which can skate and some veteran playoff-proven center with a lot of leadership. it seems to be the best way to me

You're a smart one.

The scenario you laid out can't fail. Look how it paid off for Philly...er, Quebec.

Bringing back LaPenalty would fit Holland's M.O.. ;)

I think this would lend more credence to the potential of acquiring a player of the ilk of a Tkachuk, Guerin, Bertuzzi or -- as St. James suggests -- Forsberg.

Bringing back LaPenalty would fit Holland's M.O.. ;)

I think this would lend more credence to the potential of acquiring a player of the ilk of a Tkachuk, Guerin, Bertuzzi or -- as St. James suggests -- Forsberg.

That's what I was thinking, almost to a t. It definitely fits with Kenny's "once a Wing, always a Wing" strategy. :P

Can I have Feds back, too, in that case? :tomato:

I don't think Kenny has ever not been looking to get a "star player" at the deadline. He doesn't always actually get one, but Kenny is never on his couch come deadline time.

As for Lapointe, if anyone expects him to be a cog in the offense, that's wishful thinking. He cashed in on one pretty good year to go to Boston, had one decent year for them, and hasn't been seen on the scoring charts since 2002. Lapointe is nothing more than another body to muck in the corners, which I'm not saying we don't need, but then, what does he bring that Draper doesn't?

A physical presence and a willingness to stand in front of the net in order to score ugly goals.

So what is the definition of "star player"? Is Lapointe supposed to be in addition to that star player? He definately doesn't fit my definition of star player.

The label "star player" would imply someone capable of high offensive production (someone like Nagy perhaps). Lapointe is no such player, but him coming to Detroit still makes sense from a Kenny Holland strategy perspective and I'd even welcome such a move if the price is right. I would also be willing to try O'Neill or perhaps Fedotenko for the right price.

I will be very happy with Holland if he gets Lapointe back in the Winged wheel at the deadline, he would be a solid addition. Any one of Doan/Nagy/Tkachuk/Bertuzzi/Roberts/Nolan + Lapointe and i will be much more confident heading into the playoffs.