• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mighty Wings

SFE: Wings looking at 'star player' by deadline

Rate this topic

The flipside is that the Panthers are going to want a big return if they trade Bert. Just so they don't look more dumb then they already do for that trade.

What's worse: Trading Bertuzzi for something prior to the trade deadline or asking for a "big return", not getting it, and losing him for nothing in the summer?

There's no sense in trying to recoup assets from the horrible mistakes of previous management. Get what you can get and move on.

so a big name player coming in has to mean a big name or two going out, who's on the way out is the next question...

I don't even want to guess. I hate losing players even if it does mean getting someone 'better' in return.

I'd rather go for a Begin, Neill, or Fisher instead of Lapointe.

Neil or Fisher??? Good luck with that. It would take a TON to get those guys away from Ottawa.

Lapointe PLUS a star??? That would be incredible.

Williams + Lapointe would actually probably be tipping the scales in Chicago's favor given that Willy is cheaper, younger, and has more skill.

As for a star, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for it to be Ryan Smyth. Rumor has it that he was offered a 5M contract by Edmonton, but he turned it down in favor of testing the waters. That is a lot for Detroit, but if Schneider, Maltby, Lang, and Datsyuk go packing - or at least two of them- Detroit should have plenty to sign Smyth and bulk up in other areas as well. I know Im getting ahead of myself but Smyth is the guy I would give up a 1st rounder Plus for.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Smyth anyone??

The deal saw Weight head to Carolina, along with 27-year-old Erkki Rajamaki, in exchange for forwards Jesse Boulerice, Mike Zigomanis and the rights to Magnus Kahnberg, in addition to a first-round draft pick in 2006, a fourth-round pick in 2006 and a fourth-round pick in 2007.

This deal really didn't favor either team, at least not in the long term. Weight went back to St. Louis, and Rajamaki as far as I know went back to Finland. On the other end, Zigomanis left to Phoenix, while Boulerice returned to Carolina. Magnus Kahnberg is the only guy left who stayed to the team he was traded to, and the report is he is going back to Europe possibly at the end of this season if St. Louis doesn't call him up.

So as we look at a possible deal for the Wings, just consider some things. One, we do not want to give up any top prospects for potential free agents that may not resign. Guys like Hudler, Kopecky, etc. are all choices of who not to trade. Carolina sacrificed Kahnberg in the Weight deal, and Kahnberg was one of Carolinas top prospects. St. Louis gave up Rajamaki, whom they had trouble signing to begin with, but was still a part of their future plans. Guys who we should trade are people like Williams, Samulesson, Lilja or any others of the like. These are people who, except maybe Samulesson to an extent, are underperforming right now for the paycheck they recieve. If we do give up prospects, then it better be made sure we resign whoever it is were getting, whether it be Doan, Smyth, Forsberg :lol:, or whoever. Just consider the Doug Weight trade as a reminder. If we trade for a rental that we don't plan to resign, don't give up a decent prospect like Carolina did with Kahnberg.

Instead of looking for a new player to add to the history of the Redwings and finding someone that is going to fit properly, I agree with bringing back someone that we know fit right and would be a nice addition. I'm not saying that I wouldn't like a "new" star player come deadline, but why don't they just try to get Darren back from Calgary and then we could put the grind line back together. That would be great! He's physical, can score, and the fans in Detroit and everywhere else love him. Why not? Your Thoughts....

Star player indeed--perhaps a superstar, since I just heard on Vancouver radio that Datsyuk's crack lovin' agent wants 7 million (( :lol: )). I predicted Pavel would not don the winged wheel after this year; Greenstin will almost certainly opt for a bidding war in the off-season, so it looks like I'm going to be right. The wings will let him walk after this year, most likely. Ya never know they might give him the old heave ho...

Does Roberts have a NTC? If he does, perhaps Yzerman can convince him to waive it for Detroit. I know Roberts and Yzerman are old buddies.

He does, that's so he can control where he gets traded to I'm sure.

Star player indeed--perhaps a superstar, since I just heard on Vancouver radio that Datsyuk's crack lovin' agent wants 7 million (( :lol: )).

7 million for playoff no-show...

ummm.... I think I need to get this s*** Greenstin is smoking or I'll miss the joke. does he seriously think Datsyuk is some kind of Eric Lindros and Holland is some Bobby Clarke?

7 million for playoff no-show...

ummm.... I think I need to get this s*** Greenstin is smoking or I'll miss the joke. does he seriously think Datsyuk is some kind of Eric Lindros and Holland is some Bobby Clarke?

Im not surprised. I think thats just smart positioning by Greenstin. He knows Datsyuk wont get 7 million, but he also knows he can put Datsyuk out of the Red Wings reach with that price tag. I think thats just Greenstin's way of getting Datsyuk out into the free agent waters and drumming up a bidding war - which wont get anywhere close to 7 million.

IMO, good for the Wings. Hes a fun guy to watch but, not when hes sitting on the sidelines while other teams are busting through the playoffs.

I'd rather go for a Begin, Neill, or Fisher instead of Lapointe.

There's no way ottawa would trade them, unless you you make a deal they can't refuse. However, Chris Clark is a pretty good alternative, and if the caps fall out the playoff race, it'd be possible to get him.

He knows Datsyuk wont get 7 million, but he also knows he can put Datsyuk out of the Red Wings reach with that price tag.

I wish you're right. but knowing Holland I'd not count on this "out of Red Wings reach"...

but the strategy you just described is definitely a good one

Umm. NO. Are you serious? Williams and Lilja for Lapointe? I assume we're getting draft picks in return....like, five years worth of first rounders to make it even for us?

Are YOU serious? Lilja and Williams together aren't worth ONE 1st rounder. I'm not a huge LaPointe fan but at least he gives this team something it doesn't have with toughness. All that Williams and Lilja provide are bad penalties and untimely turnovers. I would do this trade just to be rid of those two.

Lapointe would wear number 22, that number was taken by Dino Ciccarelli when Lapointe was here the first time

If Lebda gives it up then perhaps, #21 would be available though.

Are YOU serious? Lilja and Williams together aren't worth ONE 1st rounder. I'm not a huge LaPointe fan but at least he gives this team something it doesn't have with toughness. All that Williams and Lilja provide are bad penalties and untimely turnovers. I would do this trade just to be rid of those two.

You might want to do that trade, but I highly doubt it's worth the Hawks time of day. Just not an equa; or fair trade to me. (unless a few draft picks were involved on either side)

...#21 would be available though.

Not according to Helen St. James' logic :ph34r:

Anyway. I think most of you need to stop looking at the cliche Maltby, Williams, Lilja, Lang shindig and start looking at someone who actually may be able to get you the big powerful scoring winger we so desperately need...

Grigorenko + 1st Rounder is the starting point for any GM willing to deal with us...

Now is there anyone out there who I believe is enough to give us the type of Shanny-esque push we need this year...I do not believe so. Unless Holland & Co. pull a deal that none of us are thinking of, I feel we should wait until the off-season to find the big, powerful, scoring winger that we must possess in order to be successful. We won't have to give anything because they will be a UFA and we can also keep Grigs, whom I am not ready to let go of yet.

Edited by WhiteLightning91

If Lebda gives it up then perhaps, #21 would be available though.

Yeah I was thinking Marty would probably take #21.

I don't know about the rest of you, but it would be weird for me seeing Lapointe without #20.

Not according to Helen St. James' logic :ph34r:

Anyway. I think most of you need to stop looking at the cliche Maltby, Williams, Lilja, Lang shindig and start looking at someone who actually may be able to get you the big powerful scoring winger we so desperately need...

Grigorenko + 1st Rounder is the starting point for any GM willing to deal with us...

Now is there anyone out there who I believe is enough to give us the type of Shanny-esque push we need this year...I do not believe so. Unless Holland & Co. pull a deal that none of us are thinking of, I feel we should wait until the off-season to find the big, powerful, scoring winger that we must possess in order to be successful. We won't have to give anything because they will be a UFA and we can also keep Grigs, whom I am not ready to let go of yet.

I dont think Grigorenko and a 1st rounder is that much. To be honest, I dont even think of Grigorenko as one of the Red Wings prospects because A) hes been recovering for so long and B) he keeps on wanting to stick it out in Russia. I wouldnt mind at all if Grigorenko was the starting point. A first rounder Im a little more skeptical about because I think the Red Wings may have the 24th pick or something by years end which is a lot better than theyve had in years. But to be honest, if we have a chance at a guy like Smyth, Id say go for the pick as long as theres a good chance hell sign with us. Hes a dynamic character and there arent many in the league with his package. If its for a guy like Forsberg, I wouldnt want to part with a 1st for him.

The thing that worries me is that Detroit doesnt have much to give up in the way of impact roster players or even semi-attractive roster players. Jason Williams isnt exactly the pick of the litter.

As for not being ready to let go of Grigs, you better start planning on it. Hes only the Wings property for the next 6 months.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

I'm joking about the first rounders. However, you do understand that Holland would be a laughingstock among GMs for trading Williams and Lilja for just Lapointe, right? If for some reason the Hawks were to ask for those two, they had better at least offer to throw in man-mountain defenseman Dustin Byfuglien.