• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#41 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:51 PM

Star player at deadline = Boyd Devereaux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hee! Hee!
esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#42 arin

arin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

I'd rather go for a Begin, Neill, or Fisher instead of Lapointe.

#43 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

I'd love Guerin, Roberts and/or Lapointe.

#44 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:44 PM

Ehh I don't know if I'd want Marty back. I've been pissed at him ever since Game 3, first round against the Kings in '01. laugh.gif
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#45 Flip-check

Flip-check

kicking ass and taking Cups

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(edicius @ January 15, 2007 - 01:09PM) View Post

Talent-wise, it would be nice to have Forsberg on the roster. But logically...well, he's practically on the verge of retiring with this whole foot problem of his, not to mention the perpetual groin pulls. Were we to get him, I doubt he'd even be healthy for the playoffs.

It's too bad, too. He's only about thirty-four.

No, it's definitely excitement.

#46 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(Flip-check @ January 15, 2007 - 03:47PM) View Post

It's too bad, too. He's only about thirty-four.

33.....I know you said "about 34" so close enough.

But doesn't the fact that he is under 38 eliminate him from the Wings being interested in trading for him? Just kidding. That being said, I don't think the Wings have any use for him. While I cannot stand the guy, I can admit that he is an impressive hockey player, but he is just too injury prone and while he can still play at a high level, he's not the same player as he used to be.

#47 PunkChildP

PunkChildP

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE(arin @ January 15, 2007 - 02:19PM) View Post

We would trade for them because we DIDNT draft them.. The wings could have drafted half the stars in the NHL, that doesnt mean we can't trade for them. I'm sure if everyone knew Latendresse would turn out like this he would have been drafted much earlier, anyways.

I like Bernier the most, though. They must have sent him down for some reason. SJS could use a veteran D-man.
Schneider + picks/prospects for Bernier

Why would detroit want to trade with the team they are most likely to play in the first round of playoffs?

I think that is overpaying for Bernier

#48 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(Barnes52 @ January 15, 2007 - 03:15PM) View Post

I'd love Guerin, Roberts and/or Lapointe.
Does Roberts have a NTC? If he does, perhaps Yzerman can convince him to waive it for Detroit. I know Roberts and Yzerman are old buddies.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#49 daniel1

daniel1

#40 - UNSTOPPABLE

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:12 PM

Perfect world; Williams for Lapoint, Sammy for Guerin. Sprinkle in a pick here or there and a mid-level prospect. Neil would be a great alternative though.
"And? If I did, I probably would have been a fighter, so what?"

Who knows; maybe you would realize that enforcers in hockey are critical to a teams chemistry and overall success?

#50 Mighty Wings

Mighty Wings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

Whichever "Star Player(s)" Holland holland is targetting, they're not gonna come at a small price.

The deal saw Weight head to Carolina, along with 27-year-old Erkki Rajamaki, in exchange for forwards Jesse Boulerice, Mike Zigomanis and the rights to Magnus Kahnberg, in addition to a first-round draft pick in 2006, a fourth-round pick in 2006 and a fourth-round pick in 2007.

Last year's move for Doug Weight. Basically, Rajamaki and Kahnberg are similar in terms of value, they cancel out each other.

Edited by Mighty Wings, 15 January 2007 - 04:29 PM.

#51 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(rick zombo @ January 15, 2007 - 02:48PM) View Post

The flipside is that the Panthers are going to want a big return if they trade Bert. Just so they don't look more dumb then they already do for that trade.

What's worse: Trading Bertuzzi for something prior to the trade deadline or asking for a "big return", not getting it, and losing him for nothing in the summer?

There's no sense in trying to recoup assets from the horrible mistakes of previous management. Get what you can get and move on.

#52 Adidarw

Adidarw

All Day I Dream About Red Wings

• HoF Booster
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:57 PM

so a big name player coming in has to mean a big name or two going out, who's on the way out is the next question...

I don't even want to guess. I hate losing players even if it does mean getting someone 'better' in return.

#53 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(Adidarw @ January 15, 2007 - 04:57PM) View Post

I hate losing players even if it does mean getting someone 'better' in return.

That's just poor logic. tongue.gif

#54 Bluedevils_13

Bluedevils_13

The Danimal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE(toby91_ca @ January 15, 2007 - 05:12PM) View Post

That's just poor logic. tongue.gif

Tell that to Kenny...

#55 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(arin @ January 15, 2007 - 03:15PM) View Post

I'd rather go for a Begin, Neill, or Fisher instead of Lapointe.

Neil or Fisher??? Good luck with that. It would take a TON to get those guys away from Ottawa.

Lapointe PLUS a star??? That would be incredible.

Williams + Lapointe would actually probably be tipping the scales in Chicago's favor given that Willy is cheaper, younger, and has more skill.

As for a star, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for it to be Ryan Smyth. Rumor has it that he was offered a 5M contract by Edmonton, but he turned it down in favor of testing the waters. That is a lot for Detroit, but if Schneider, Maltby, Lang, and Datsyuk go packing - or at least two of them- Detroit should have plenty to sign Smyth and bulk up in other areas as well. I know Im getting ahead of myself but Smyth is the guy I would give up a 1st rounder Plus for.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Smyth anyone??
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#56 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:31 PM

The deal saw Weight head to Carolina, along with 27-year-old Erkki Rajamaki, in exchange for forwards Jesse Boulerice, Mike Zigomanis and the rights to Magnus Kahnberg, in addition to a first-round draft pick in 2006, a fourth-round pick in 2006 and a fourth-round pick in 2007.

This deal really didn't favor either team, at least not in the long term. Weight went back to St. Louis, and Rajamaki as far as I know went back to Finland. On the other end, Zigomanis left to Phoenix, while Boulerice returned to Carolina. Magnus Kahnberg is the only guy left who stayed to the team he was traded to, and the report is he is going back to Europe possibly at the end of this season if St. Louis doesn't call him up.

So as we look at a possible deal for the Wings, just consider some things. One, we do not want to give up any top prospects for potential free agents that may not resign. Guys like Hudler, Kopecky, etc. are all choices of who not to trade. Carolina sacrificed Kahnberg in the Weight deal, and Kahnberg was one of Carolinas top prospects. St. Louis gave up Rajamaki, whom they had trouble signing to begin with, but was still a part of their future plans. Guys who we should trade are people like Williams, Samulesson, Lilja or any others of the like. These are people who, except maybe Samulesson to an extent, are underperforming right now for the paycheck they recieve. If we do give up prospects, then it better be made sure we resign whoever it is were getting, whether it be Doan, Smyth, Forsberg laugh.gif, or whoever. Just consider the Doug Weight trade as a reminder. If we trade for a rental that we don't plan to resign, don't give up a decent prospect like Carolina did with Kahnberg.

#57 Rwingz2002

Rwingz2002

Draftee

• 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:43 PM

Instead of looking for a new player to add to the history of the Redwings and finding someone that is going to fit properly, I agree with bringing back someone that we know fit right and would be a nice addition. I'm not saying that I wouldn't like a "new" star player come deadline, but why don't they just try to get Darren back from Calgary and then we could put the grind line back together. That would be great! He's physical, can score, and the fans in Detroit and everywhere else love him. Why not? Your Thoughts....

#58 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE(Rwingz2002 @ January 15, 2007 - 05:43PM) View Post

He's physical,

Not like you remember.

can score

Have you seen his stats lately? He's rocking a big goose egg across the board.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#59 dicksmack

dicksmack

Tunnel bus to the Joe!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:57 PM

Star player indeed--perhaps a superstar, since I just heard on Vancouver radio that Datsyuk's crack lovin' agent wants 7 million (( laugh.gif )). I predicted Pavel would not don the winged wheel after this year; Greenstin will almost certainly opt for a bidding war in the off-season, so it looks like I'm going to be right. The wings will let him walk after this year, most likely. Ya never know they might give him the old heave ho...
Finally someone that can post with actually integrity, nice to see. :thumbup: --Carman

#60 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(RyanBarnes! @ January 15, 2007 - 05:07PM) View Post

Does Roberts have a NTC? If he does, perhaps Yzerman can convince him to waive it for Detroit. I know Roberts and Yzerman are old buddies.

He does, that's so he can control where he gets traded to I'm sure.